Breath Araya

Breath Araya

A Poem by RachelAnn
"

How many Veterinarians does it take to resolve my Boston Terrier "Araya's" on-going respiratory issue? None, I figured it out. Thanks anyway.

"



I saw her in December, it was love at first sight. That face and that expression-something I will always remember.

 

She came home bringing laughter, affection and intelligence so far and above. The two of us together simply fit like a glove.

 

Always thrashing, shaking and "killing" her toys. This boxy little female is just one of the boys!

 

Flat face, big eyes and a boxy little frame. Her "head-banging" style helped inspire her name.

 

Perfect health overall for a decade, aside spitting up here and there. Seasonal allergies, some loose stool but otherwise minimal health care.

 

February 2015 brought with it an early Spring-pollens and molds and allergens rampant as plants started blossoming.

 

A mild cough, sneezing, her breathing started to sound wet. Benadryl was not helping, time to see the Vet.

 

Heart and lungs sound clear, it is upper airway. Vet does nothing, let's see if it goes away.

 

Not happy-I'm pro-active, I know something is wrong. A month later I request a recheck-she's just not as strong.

 

Clear nasal discharge, now turning opaque. Appetite still waning-reverse sneezing.

The Vet must have made a mistake?

 

Nothing serious-he left it at that. I begged for antibiotics, reluctantly he agreed.

A response, she is better! Feeling relieved!

 

Two week later it starts again. Antibiotics complete. This time much worse.

Struggling to breath.

Turning purple, then blue she can hardly stay on her feet.

 

"'I'll look at her later", says the Vet standing right there.

Not even a glance in my direction, not an ounce of care.

 

Panic stricken, I fight for her life. Chest x-rays taken during her strife.

Oxygen therapy administered-but no injectible drug. Her body to mine I hug.

 

Bloated, salivating and swallowing air. "You can stop O2 therapy now" says the Vet over there.


Radio-graphs were useless, too much air swallowed. She'll need to be burped is what I was told.

 

Ten hours later, that same day she still labored to breath and the Vet's went on their merry way. Demanding she get attention, tracheal inflammation? Can we try a Dex SP injection?

 

Steroid injection given-second opinion achieved. Could be allergies, could be cancer...don't you feel relieved?

 

She was so much better, breathing and playing. So good to see, but feeling guilty.

Could this have made her better sooner? Was her respiratory distress that hard to see??

 

Angry. Frustrated. Symptoms at bay. Once the effects wear off, will her problem go away?

 

Answers sought out, research online and a third Vet's opinion. This time an integrative Vet, not a general practice minion.

 

Brachycephalic syndrome suspected, secondary bacterial growth from allergy onslaught.

Whole foods, diet change and supplements should help this D.V.M. thought.

 

Better for a few days, then things start up again. Now she looks bloated in the belly, and is starting to look thin.

 

New diet causing painful gas, abdominal xrays taken to rule out a mass.

 

Just add in some pumpkin, feed a diet that is bland. Let's keep her on Temaril-P for the now chronic airway inflammation.

 

Gas is gone, feeding routine a success. Were it not for increased effort with breathing, rapid respiratory rate and nasal discharge she would not be such a mess.

 

Let's sedate and go looking, for a nasal tumor. Cancer is this Vet's opinion (who thinks everything is neoplasia according to rumor).

 

Urinary incontinence, just overnight. Panting, restless and looking to fight. Urinalysis and culture-all results clear. Aren't these side effects of steroid use-did I not hear?

 

Dose of Temaril-P reduced, on my own accord. Anxiety symptoms managed with Xanax-also per my request. Since when does an owner/Veterinary assistant always know best??

 

Nasal discharge continues, from clear to greenish-yellow. It got better with antibiotics-just never completely. Could it simply be the wrong antibiotic, is there a way to know?

 

I request a nasal culture and sensitivity; I'm simply done guessing and want answers immediately. Can't afford the internist work-up, CT scan, and MRI my Vet is recommending to me.

 

Culture results came back with light growth, resistant to most antibiotics interestingly. E. Coli. Something not unheard of for pet's eating raw food, had the Vet listened to my detailed medical history.

 

Now she is on Baytril per the sensitivity, and a low maintenance dose of Temaril-P. Araya gets better day after day. Fingers crossed this is the answer, and good health is here to stay.

 

I lost faith in this industry; Vet's  need to start seeing beyond their nose.

Thank goodness for my dogs' sake I did not take no for an answer and stayed on my toes.

 

Breath Araya, just breath. And by my side don't ever leave.

© 2015 RachelAnn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
Added on June 17, 2015
Last Updated on June 17, 2015
Tags: Veterinary failure, Dog, DVM fail, Vet medicine, Veterinary, canine, Boston Terrier, Pet Doctor

Author

RachelAnn
RachelAnn

Northern, CA



About
I have always had artistic tendencies, and was always that girl whose imagination got away from her growing up. I enjoy cheesy skits, sketching, writing/poetry. I am looking for outlets and forums to .. more..

Writing