Cinnamon Flavored Gum

Cinnamon Flavored Gum

A Story by Dressed in Poetry

You Are Cinnamon Flavored Gum:

 

You are daring, active, and a little outrageous.

You crave adventure and novelty. You like to mix things up.

 

Your personality is extra spicy and larger than life.

You love to have fun, and you are passionate about everything you do.

 

You're definitely a fiery person, and you don't back down from a fight.

Most people love your fire - but you can be a bit too intense at times!

 

"Damn, I wish that personality tests were accurate, because I would love to be the person they tell me I am," was the thought that came into my head once I read the results from the silly little quiz my friend had sent me.

 

Sure, it kind of grasps my personality, in the way that a guy about to fall off the side of a cliff kind of grasps at the rock before plummeting. I mean, I would be lying to myself and to everyone around me if I denied my passion for adventure – for the unknown – but I don’t spend my entire life mixing things up to get it. I stay in my little box, continuously learning new things using old methods, which rather defeats the purpose of trying to be adventurous and daring. Okay, I am quite dramatic at times, and when I do something for me, I do it with passion, but how many times can I say that I have actually done something for me and not for some other purpose? ‘Very few’ is the answer to that question.

 

As for the fourth sentence, who doesn’t love to have fun? Having fun is, well, fun. So skipping over the complete idiocy of that statement, I’ll move on to the third group. I have gotten that I can be very intense and fiery, but I back down more often than I would like to admit. I exaggerate statements to make myself seem better and I tend to pretend that things were my idea when they were the product of someone else’s brilliant mind. The truth is, I am much more of a follower than I make myself out to be. So when you look to me for advice and for ideas, just know that I am grabbing the advice and ideas of other people and giving them to you – they don’t originate with me.

 

My second thought was actually a question. “If I know that personality tests are inaccurate, why do I even bother taking them? For that matter, why do people in general cling to the definitions that some random quiz-maker who, most likely, has never met them nor ever will gives them?”. Because they tell me – they tell us – what we want to hear about ourselves. They make us into these shining personalities that everyone would love. They take a grain of truth and enhance it like one of my crazy stories and we like to pretend that we are that perfectly able to fit into that standard which we crave to be. The truth is that no test, no matter how amazing it is, can capture anyone’s essence. No quiz can tell us how we live our lives – and for that matter, no person can either, for quizzes are merely devised by some guy who thinks that because my favorite color is red, I am passionate and fiery. No person can tell me who I am or how I think.

 

Not that I’m saying that I would be able to tell you that either, though I do flatter myself that I would know better than you. No, my problem with psychoanalyzing myself is that I am biased. Today, when I’m feeling extra confident, I may make myself out to be bolder than I normally am, while next week, when I trip and make a fool out of myself, I will be more likely to tell you that I am an utter failure. I suppose what I’m getting at is that it is completely stupid to psychoanalyze ourselves, because we are easily influenced by our emotions, but it is also completely stupid to let someone else psychoanalyze us because they will never know who we truly are and how we think.

 

Of course, I will never stop trying to figure myself and other people out. I’m just admitting how silly it is that I attempt to do so.

 

© 2008 Dressed in Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this piece.
I find personality tests fascinating although they are always a little off.
I like how you explore this topic and the title is kick a*s.
It drew me right in.
Great write!
-Elissa

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 5, 2008
Last Updated on October 5, 2008

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing