Dear Body

Dear Body

A Story by Dressed in Poetry
"

Inspired by: http://weblog.xanga.com/TastyAnonymity/687442798/dear-body.html

"

 

Dear Body,
 
 I know you’ve been kind of angry with me lately since we’re sick now (but I really tried not to – I just got stuck in a car for eight hours with two sick people, it couldn’t be helped) and that I’ve been putting you through a lot lately with staying up late for finals and running around after the twins and everything, but I just want to say that I love you. I know I don’t give you compliments often, and that I always complain about how you’re never up to my standard’s, but I wanted to let you know that even though you’re not perfect, you are amazing just for putting up with everything that I do.
 
I’ll start at the bottom, with you, Feet. I know you were really upset with me this summer with that surgery and all, but doesn’t it feel so much better to be able to walk around without all those blisters now that you are just right? And those scars that the doctor left don’t make you any less pretty – they make you different, and that is just fine with me.  You may be a little angry at me for my New Year’s resolution to go to the gym a lot more often (which means a lot more running and basketball for you), but I promise that whenever I get the chance, I’ll use some of that really cool lotion from Bath and Body Works that makes you feel all tingly (and means you won’t smell after all that hard work). And no worries if you get a few blisters and stuff – I’ll take care of them for you.
 
Now, Legs, we have to get it together. I know that after I stopped running I just let you get flabby, but I’m going to change that. Thighs, you are something I always complain about, but I made you bigger with all that running I used to do and then let you go, so I know it’s my fault you aren’t as small as I’d like. So legs, instead of trying to get rid of you like I used to, I am going to start making you stronger – I bet you’ll like that, since you have been skipping around a lot more often. We’ll work on getting rid of some of that energy together, okay? I would also like to tell you that I love that you are so long – I promise to show that off a little more in the future (I sure liked doing that a bit this summer!) instead of always shoving you away in jeans. Maybe left Ankle will appreciate that too, since all that pain it went through getting that tattoo will be shown off instead of hidden.
 
Butt, I would like to thank you for finally beginning to cooperate with me this year and start shrinking. I have been doing a lot more walking (3 miles a day just to get to classes – I know it’s hard to do in the cold, but you never complained and I appreciate that) and I’ve noticed that all that extra exercise seems to agree with you. I’ll say the same thing to you that I said to Legs: I know it’s my fault you aren’t as small as I’d like. But I’m thinking that 2009 will change that! I hope you’re ready.
 
Oh, Stomach. You and I have had a love-hate relationship for a while now. I love that you let Waist be so small (it makes me feel like a woman, having all that curve between Waist and Hips) but you also like to get bloated and always complain that you’re hungry, even when you shouldn’t be. So, I’m thinking we need to get a compromise in order. I’ll start eating on a regular schedule so that you always know when to expect food, and you promise to start getting a little smaller. Maybe when I’m working with legs, I’ll take some extra time to do a few sit-ups just to help you out with that too.
 
Chest, I would like to thank you for being perfect. With that growth spurt recently (where did that come from?) you are the size I’ve always wanted: not so big that you make Back angry with all of the slouching, and not so small that you need binoculars to find. Maybe I say that continuing to grow wouldn’t be so bad, but I’m perfectly fine with you the way you are also.
 
I know that I never do anything to help you out, Arms, but I have to say that I have no huge complaints about you. You still have a bit of flab up top, but most of the time it’s not even noticeable, so I don’t mind much. I will try to get rid of that for you, though, since I know you like to show off a lot. Tell Shoulders that I’m really sorry for all the soreness recently – keeping up with twin cousins is hard sometimes, and making the same motion in all those Wii games for hours and hours didn’t make them very happy at all.
 
Hands, you are helping make this list, and you are always making life so much easier for me. You’re absolutely amazing with your long, skinny fingers that just seem made for all the writing and random creative projects I do. I’ve been keeping you nice and smooth with all the lotion that you love – I know you hate being slippery right after I put it on, but just look at how great you look now! I know I’ve made you do things that you didn’t like at all, but I’ve stopped that now, I promise. You should probably stop pulling Jacob’s hair on accident – I know you like how it feels, but he really doesn’t like that.
 
I know I’ve been slouching more lately, Back, but I promise I’m trying to stop! I used to sit straight just like you liked, and I don’t know what happened to me. I’ll keep stretching you out before I get up in the morning, since you seem to love that.
 
Ears, I’m sorry about that whole thing with getting my snug pierced and then taking it out. I know it hurt a lot, but it did look really good. I hate to tell you this, but I’m asking Mother for another one. You’re really sensitive, I know, but you will look incredible! I’ll also try to listen to more of that music that you like so much before going to sleep.
 
Eyes, you are probably the one part of Body that I compliment more than complain about, but I will talk to you too. You are the prettiest color, and I don’t think I would ever change you. Did you know that you are the rarest eye color? I love that! I promise that I’ll stop wearing the contacts too long and making you sore, but you know if you weren’t so near-sighted, this wouldn’t be a problem. I promise that I’ll stop watching Supernatural quite as much and move on to reading more like we used to, but you know you enjoy it as much as I do!
 
You probably hate me right now, Nose, and but I promise I’m trying to get you all better! Maybe you’re a little larger than average, but you know what? I like that. A little button-nose wouldn’t look good on me anyway.
 
Mouth, Mouth, Mouth. Why do you get me into so much trouble? I know that you have a temper, but please – try to keep Tongue from saying all those mean things sometimes. However, you do love to spout opinions when you can, and I suppose you can keep doing that (you might burst if I told you that you couldn’t!). I know Throat is making you sound kind of funny, but it’s all right – we’ll all be over being sick soon enough. Just keep looking forward to tomorrow – you get your New Year’s kiss again, and I know you always love that.
 
You have been so good recently, Hair! You are very cooperative, and you are just the perfect balance of everything: there’s a lot of you, but you’re not so thick that you poof everywhere or so thin that you just lay there; you’re not too short or too long. I know you probably get tired of all the dye, but you put up with it magnificently and you look great! I am thinking about stopping all that, though, and letting you be your natural blonde self – but only if people can stop the blonde jokes every once in a while.
 
So there you go, Body. I promise to be good to you if you’ll help out a bit too. I’ve been taking all those vitamins and eating healthier just for you, and I know you have been so much happier because of it, so I’ll keep that up. We’re going to get in shape this year (though we have gotten a head start since we haven’t been driving very much at all) and you’ll feel even better. I promise that when it gets warmer I won’t hide you behind my t-shirts and jeans anymore; I’ll try and get some cute things that really show you off, because you deserve that. Hey, when you look good, I feel good, so I will try to make sure that you always know that you are amazing.
 
Hugs and Kisses,
Lauren

© 2008 Dressed in Poetry


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is one of the most creative writes I have come across. It shows appreciation of self and a wonderful sense of humor. I love the "deals" and compromises you are making with each part of the body.. but most of all the promise to take care of the body. Thank you for writing this piece... it was definitely well inked!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

LoL! This was really quite an interesting, humorous and fun poem to read hehe. Yep, it's very good to take care of yourself. We all wish for the 'dream body,' too. It takes plenty of work and will to accomplish such a task. I, for one, need to get my butt back in the gym again hehe. Excellent piece. Great Job! :)

B.A.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Exercise in self appreciation or, the other way, knowing yourself only too well ?!

I think this is such an original piece of work, quite unique in its view and it's funny so, all in all a geat post.

Think my favourite part is about the mouth ..'However, you do love to spout opinions when you can, and I suppose you can keep doing that (you might burst if I told you that you couldn't!' Quite a few of us could say that - if we had your skill.

Thanks so much for sharing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What can I say but... Bravoooo , very unique subject (well at least for me lol ) , and you did it Bravely ... I am a guy so I read Butt and Chest first lol . but I like anything , now I will move to see if you have a pic here so I can have your Image HA!... anyway , great writting , I will keep it on my reading list , I would return to read it whan I need to smile :-) .... Happy new year Yossi

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really unique. I found it kind of cute but tentative, the idea of complimenting and compromising with ones body, personifying each body part.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one of the most creative writes I have come across. It shows appreciation of self and a wonderful sense of humor. I love the "deals" and compromises you are making with each part of the body.. but most of all the promise to take care of the body. Thank you for writing this piece... it was definitely well inked!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 31, 2008

Author

Dressed in Poetry
Dressed in Poetry

Norman, OK



About
Je m'appelle Lauren. I'm very dramatic. Other random things about me: - I have a passionate love for all things ironic. - 80% of what I say is sarcastic. - I like big words. They are fun. - I .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..