A Lost Art...

A Lost Art...

A Story by Breezie Kae

Recently, something's caught my attention. I was in this book store and there was not a single book of poetry. Absolutely no poetry. I've always been frustrated by how kids these days couldn't give a rat's a*s about poetry, and nobody ever gives the time to actually understand and appreciate it. But the fact that there wasn't even any in a book store...are even those appreciative of literature losing their grip with poetry?


Poetry has become alien to us. It's like a lost language to us. William Shakespeare, Dante Alighieri, they're considered these great, unbelievable writers. In my honest opinion, I think the reason we think they're so great is because we don't understand them anymore. Poetry is above us. We prefer straightforward entertainment, nothing deep or analytical, nothing below the surface.


I've never been too keen on prose, but poetry is almost second nature to me. The fact that I live in a time and society where poetry means nothing is sad, because it's very much a part of me. My poetry is my deepest connection with myself, and the thing I never get tired of practicing and exploring. I'm afraid that my passion is a lost art.

© 2010 Breezie Kae


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are correct. I got lucky in 1991-1993. I got station in Monterey. Between Pacific Grove and Monterey . Three poetry reading a week. Live new bands playing almost everyday. No better place for writer. I agree with you. I go look for new Poets. Very hard to find now a day at the bookstore. I order a lot of books. The old Poets are forgotten. But what words did they create. Your story is outstanding. I'm planning to organize a poetry reading here in Michigan. Take people with dreams to open the eyes of people to the great words. Have fun and be safe.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on August 15, 2010