Chapter 6 ~ Dreamscape

Chapter 6 ~ Dreamscape

A Chapter by DxFoe

“Yes it’s time for your training with me, come sit” Alice timidly stepped fully into the room, softly closing the door behind her. She sat down on the chaise where Hayden had instructed and continued to look around the room. Alice had never been a fan of therapists, which was pretty much what Hayden’s room made her seem to be. “Relax Alice, we’re not here to talk about your problems” Hayden interrupted her thoughts, speaking as if she knew what Alice was thinking. “Just lay down, relax and trust me”


Since Hayden seemed confident in what she was doing, Alice tried to relax as she swung her legs onto the chaise and nuzzled her head into the crook of the pillow. “Ari feels to control wind you have to feel it” Hayden begins, “Memory magic works on sort of the same concept, except instead of having to feel it, I feel you have to feel it being used on you” She was now standing and had positioned herself at Alice’s head. “Close your eyes..” Slowly, unsteadily, Alice closed her eyes, sighing as darkness enveloped and she felt Hayden’s pointer and middle fingers on her temples as she slowly drifted into what felt like a sleep.


As the light faded back, Alice realized that she was in her childhood home, before her family died. In fact she was in the lavender walled room the was her bedroom. The the carpet was a light grey color and the bed had purple quilted sheets.  As she looked through the dimly lit room, she realized that she wasn’t the only one in the room. In front of her was the 10 year old version of her, tucked in bed, beside her were her parents. Her dad’s carmel hair falling into his green eyes slightly as they looked down at her. Beside him was her mother, the first thing she saw were her amber eyes, same as hers, and her long wavy blonde hair that was falling, touching the bed as she kneeled beside Alice. “Good night sweetie” Her mom's soft, smooth voice rang out through the ethereal air.


“Sleep well” Her father continued her mother’s sentence, his voice deeper than his wives as he put his daughter to bed, “You have a big day tomorrow.” What? Alice’s attention was alerted even more as she heard the words that were coming out of her parents mouths. No, stop! She began to panic, I can’t live through this again. The only time her father had ever told her ‘You have a big day tomorrow’ was the night it happened. As she focused back she watched her parents both kiss the 10 year old her lightly on the forehead before they stood and walked toward the door. As they turned back around Alice’s eyes began welling with tears as they got closer to their fate, she watched as they waved to little her and little her waved back a second before her parents turned out the lights and the small click of the door closing sounded and the Alices were alone.


Alice was still, as she watched the tiny frail body of herself sleep silently. Crash! The bone chilling sound of glass shattering tore through the house. The smaller version of Alice immediately jumped into a sitting position and her eyes scanned the room, a look of confusion and fear in her eyes. Alice was surprised when little her’s eyes glazed right passed her, as if she didn’t even see the older Alice. The petite body of the child slowly climbed out of the twin bed and crept to the door, opening it just a crack. “Mom? Dad?” The scared whisper of a voice came from the young 10 year old girl that was in front of Alice.


Alice walked carefully behind little her as they tip toed down the dark hallway. Glass was the first thing that Alice saw, the glass from the window that had been smashed in. The house was dark as they crept through it, the shadows twisted the black shapes of the furniture in the mind of the young girl, as well as the old one. “Mommy?” The innocence of Alice’s young self was quiet as she wandered into the bright kitchen, only to be pulled away by an unknown force before anyone else saw her. The current Alice however, knew exactly who it was.

She watched as her father’s strong arms lifted Alice from her position at the kitchen doorway, blocking her view of what was happening. From Alice’s corner between the hall and the kitchen, she starred as the closet door opened slightly and little Alice was placed on the clear hard wood floors. “Stay here” His voice was quiet, but wavering. “You’ll be safe if you stay here..”


“Whats going on?” Little Alice couldn’t hold back the question, only to be held back by her father shushing her.


“Nothing, just sit here, and you’ll be safe. Wait here till someone comes to get you” The instructions stuck in Alice’s mind, but after she heard the footsteps of her father heading to the kitchen faded, she cracked open the door, allowing herself to witness what happened that night.


“Are you sure this is it?” A female voice, one that even Alice had only ever heard that night rang out.


“Yes I’m positive” Another disembodied voice came, this time it was male, though it seemed familiar. To Alice it sounded almost like a deeper, more ominous version of Elias’s voice. “This is the home of Nickolas and Evelyn Reed”


“Who are you?” The strong, demanding voice of Nickolas burst out, only wavering slightly from the fear. “What do you want with us?”


“Now now Nickey.” Yet another smooth, confident, female voice popped up, “I don’t think you’re in the position to be asking questions right now” Alice could tell he was about to say something else, but thought better of it. “Good boy.”


“That’s enough Topaz.” The male voice sounded again. “Answer my questions and you may just live.” He continued, speaking without waiting for a response from the second girl, Topaz.


“I don’t know what you want,” Evelyn finally spoke up, “But we’re not telling you anythi-” She was cut off by her own blood curdling scream. Alice finally knew why as she watched from her ethereal body, one of the four women there had laid a long black and purple fluctuating tube onto her mother back. It looked like a black and purple lightsaber, and it was being held to her back.


“You’ll regret it if you don’t” The first women, the one who had ‘attacked’ Evelyn hissed before the man spoke again.


“Thank you, Meri. Now Mr. and Mrs. Reed. Tell me, do you have a child yet?” He had circled her parents before stopping in front of Nickholas.


Why does he want to know if my parent have had me yet? Alice was confused as to why the answer to this question would affect anything. Her mother had opened her mouth to speak but was cut off once again. This time, it was Evelyn’s husband who cut her off, “No, we haven't had the fortune”


“Well. Thats too bad” Alastor had began to walk around the kitchen again. “I really didn’t want to have to do this” The statement had obviously been false, though they hadn’t been able to see what ‘this’ was yet. However, instead of doing anything he had turned and begun to walk out of the  glass window he’d broken in the kitchen, the second one that was broken. “Girls, have at ‘em”


“Finally”  Topaz grinned and in an instant it seemed her father was burning, while her mother was being hit with the same lightsaber-esque thing as earlier. And then they switched positions, each grinning the entire time, only disappearing once neither Nickholas or Evelyn showed any sign of life.


“NO!” Alice screamed lunging for the two before they could leave. In a quick flash of light and the slower fade back tor reality, Alice realized she’d jumped up in the chaise and Hayden no longer had her fingers on Alice’s temples. “What was that??” Alice demanded angry that she’d been put through that again.


“One of the many effects of Memory Magic on you.”


“Yes but what was it?”


“That Alice, was a piece of your dreamscape.”


“My what?”


“Your dreamscape; when you experience things, the image of what happened is stored in your dreamscape. The specific magical energy that I collect is focused on this dreamscape, and it allows me to insert myself into yours and bring it to the front. When I do this, I’m essentially forcing you into your memory.” Hayden spoke expertly, as if she’d given this speech a million times, although Alice could tell Hayden was treading carefully since Alice had just experienced the murder of her parents again. However there seemed to be a hint of recognition in her eyes, as if something in Alice’s memory sparked something in Hayden’s.


“Why would you do that?”


“Because it can do many things to your opponent. I can make them freeze, cry, scream, smile, or even laugh depending on the memory I choose. Once you get good enough you won’t have to make contact to place an attack on an opponent's memory.” Alice was shocked to find out that this was how memory magic worked, though she didn’t really know what she was expecting. “But for now I’m going to show you a different kind of memory magic, lie back down.”


Hesitantly, Alice returned to her previous position on the couch and attempted to relax again. “What’s going to happen this time?” She asked, holding Haydens arms above her, preventing her from reaching her temple.


“This time I’m going to project my memory into your dreamscape, so you’ll be seeing mine. Don’t worry it won’t be a horrible memory like…” She trailed off before mentioning what Alice assumed both of them had seen.


“Okay…” Alice was still unsure but she released Hayden’s hands and clasped her own over her stomach as she felt the same sensation as before when Hayden made contact with her temples. This time around it didn’t take as long for the black to fade into white as Alice’s surroundings came into view. There were wood walls and long tables with six chairs at each that lined the walls. In front of Alice was a woman standing behind a bar. Alice quickly realized that they were in a very old looking tavern.


Alice walked around the counter, and realized the lady at the bar was Hayden, though she looked much different than the Hayden that Alice knew now. Her short curly black hair was long now, creating a large friz around Hayden’s head, though it looked just as amazing as it did currently. Her chocolate eyes were wider than now, they were filled with so much more curiosity rather than wisdom. She wore an old barmaid’s dress, it was long and off white, stained with dirt. She had what looked to be a brown corset over the dress, that had a strap that extended up and around her neck. The sleeves were ruffled and wrapped by a matching brown leather. She wore a brown skirt over the dress and a white apron too. Just based on the attire Alice would know she worked there, let alone the fact that she was behind the bar.  


As Alice spun around slowly, examining the tavern a gentleman, that seemed important to the memory entered the building. His long cloak was deep green, and the hood was up so Alice couldn’t see his face. As the man approached the bar, Alice made her way around it so she could watch the memory from Hayden’s point of view. “Are you Hayden Wilson?” The voice was young, very young, but unmistakably Elias. What? Alice was thoroughly confused now, unsure why Elias was at the place where Hayden seemed to work.


Hayden seemed surprised as well, as she immediately flicked her head from the cup she was washing to look at Elias. “Yes..” Her voice was strong, but hesitant, “And you are?”


It seemed Elias had chosen that moment to add effect to his name as he flipped down his green hood, “My name is Elias Spyridon. Can I speak to you for a moment?” His white blonde hair was longer than she’s seen, it had been pulled into a long pony tail as it lay behind him falling pretty far down his neck. His emerald green eyes were darker, but had the same purpose that they had when he’d first met Alice.  


“Uh yea..” Hayden seemed unsure about it, “My break is in a few minutes if you can wait” To this Elias nodded and sat at the table closest to the counter and waited, though even Alice could feel the pressure to  hurry up and finish working. In around four minutes, Hayden untied the apron and left it behind the counter as she made her way toward Elias. “Why do you want to talk to me mister.”


It was odd for Alice to hear Hayden be formal, especially since from the brief time that they’d known each other she wasn’t really like that. “I’d like to talk to you about becoming my apprentice.” This sentence obviously caught Hayden’s attention, as instead of awkwardly standing next to the seat, she took a seat and leaned toward Elias.


“Apprentice in what?”


“Magic” He was so blunt with it, Alice was amazed that Hayden didn’t leave right there. Instead she stared at him in disbelief.


“M-magic?”


“Yes”


“Magic isn’t real”


“No”


“What?”


“Magic is real, you just can’t see it. However, I believe you have the potential to be able to.”


“What do I have to do?” Alice could tell Hayden didn’t fully believe Elias yet, but he’d still caught her interest and she wanted to know more about this magic that Elias was talking about.


“Come with me. I know too much magic to just teach you. While I teach you we’ll be travelling to find the others that I will teach.”


“Who are your current apprentices?”


“You” So Hayden was  Elias’s first recruit? The legend had never really gone into specifics so Alice didn’t know many of the details of their relationships, or of the order in which they were recruited.


“Me?”


“Yes”


“Okay… why should I believe you.”


“Because I can show you.” As Elias finished speaking, the wind suddenly picked up and the doors began to swing open and shut. At the same time, the water in Elias and Alice’s cups began to levitate. As quickly as it started, the phenomenon stopped.


Hayden seemed bewildered, but convinced, “Okay.. I’ll come with you” With that, the world went black again, as if someone had turned off the lights, and in a second Alice was sitting up again, disoriented as Hayden’s room faded into existence. “Projecting your memories is a more risky move.” Hayden pulled Alice’s attention from the vision she’d just experienced, “It not only can incapacitate the enemy but it also shows them your weaknesses.”


“Okay I think I understand” Alice nodded shakily as she listened and took in all she’d learned in the past… however long she’d been in Hayden’s room.


“Tomorrow I’m going to teach you the basic theory to memory magic. For now we’ve both deserve a rest, let's have lunch.”



© 2016 DxFoe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

104 Views
Added on May 3, 2016
Last Updated on May 3, 2016
Tags: fiction, fairtales, first story, paladin


Author

DxFoe
DxFoe

Royce City, TX



Writing
Chapter 1~ The Note Chapter 1~ The Note

A Chapter by DxFoe