My Dear Romeo

My Dear Romeo

A Chapter by Emily Anne
"

“My bounty is as boundless as the sea, My love as deep; the more I give to thee, The more I have, for both are infinite.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

"
Juliet
The year was 2045. I remember the day like it was yesterday. Raiders started bombing the U.S. too fast for us to defend ourselves, so many refugee colonies were established in allied countries to move us away from the dangerous battle field our country became. The camp me and my family had traveled to was in southern Japan. Despite our alliance between the United States and Japan, we were looked down upon by the neighboring town Toyohashi. A lot of the people from the city spoke decent to fluent English and I could tell when they made rude comments in Japanese by the sour face they would make afterwards. I honestly didn't know the reason behind their hatred, but it was obvious that the people in this camp had just as bitter feelings towards them.
I pulled the red hair tied from my pony tail and started to brush my hair. The window in my room was large and opened wide, so I opened it every night to look at the moon. In the distance I had a perfect view of the city, gleaming with bright lights of skyscrapers and tripods traversing the rails. A lot different looking compared to the rural town filled with farmers and wealthy ranch owners. 
Downstairs I could hear my father talk to my mother.
"There's going to be a small get together in the center of camp. Everyone's invited. We should go, maybe we could find a nice young man for our Juliet," My dad said, trying to keep my mother's hopes up. Ever since we've arrive she'd been so displaced about the situation and refused to get out of the house a lot. I guess it's the mixture of going from a rich mansion owner to a small 3 bedroom house that we have to share with my aunt and cousin Tybalt. 
"I don't know many people here, what if they aren't friendly? Why don't you go with out me, I'm tired."
"Come on, I'll stay by you the whole time," my dad paused," Tybalt, Juliet! Get dressed in fine clothes and come with us!"
I had to listen to father, even if I didn't want to go. At the town center I noticed a small stage had been set up where people danced and sung karaoke. Everyone danced and had a good time. A few guys said hi and flirted for a while. It was all fine and dandy until I saw him.
I didn't realize the chaos around me for several minutes because the only thought that occupied my mind was his face. He wore a white button-down shirt and dark pants, looked sweaty from running away from something. I notice my cousin get angry and lead the mob of people to chase the poor guy down. I decided to head home, but inside my gut was turning with butterflies.
Romeo
They chased me in between houses but I was too fast for them. I had completely forgotten exactly why I hopped the fence; Maybe it was a dare from Benvolio or Mercutio. Or maybe I simply wanted to see who was over there. All I can think of is her face. She was olive skinned, blue eyes. Chestnut hair with little freckles on her cheekbones. Her hair looked so soft and delicate, like a newborn baby's. I wanted to see her one more time, to prove it wasn't an illusion.
I hid in a trash bin in the back yard of a house. I sat there for a good thirty minutes, until I knew the coast was clear. Climbing out, I saw the open window with a light on inside. I sat under it to hear if anyone was inside. Above me, I heard her.
"Where is my love, so perfect in my eyes. Was tonight all a facade? Never mind that, I knew what I saw. I saw beauty in the purest form, awakening my soul and reinventing my everything. I desire him down to my very soul. But it's unlikely I will ever see him again," she sighed and paused a moment. Should I uncover myself, because surely this is the woman I seen earlier. I waited for her to speak again.
"I should shut the window, it's getting-" I cut her off.
"I am here, here to see you again!" standing up quickly, she was startled and fell over like a box of apple, screaming.
"Shh, love. They townspeople will here you."
"Is it true, you are in front of my face once more? I can't believe this isn't a dream. You are real!" She looked so happy to see me. My insides turned inside out.
"I wanted to see you one last time before heading to town. I was captivated by how stunning you looked when I first seen you."
"Thank you so much. But I don't even know your name! I'm Juliet," she smiled, running her brush through her hair again.
"I am Romeo. And I have to say, you are the picture of perfection," I reached for her hand and she pulled herself through the window to outside.
"I must say, I've never experienced true love till this day, Romeo. Do think it's to early if I get a kiss?"
Before answering, I planted my lips onto hers ever so softly and we held it there for a good long time. Her lips were moist and the kiss was gentle yet passionate. We came up for air.
"I love you, Romeo. Please don't leave me."
In the distance I heard voices, ordering to search the area for me," Juliet I love you too but if we are to be together I must marry you. Otherwise you will be rejected from my town and I will be rejected from yours. Do you accept?"
"Of course," we kissed happily.
"I will meet you at the chapel right outside of town. It's the only place where it's okay for us to see each other. It's the place where people who don't want to feud go. I'll talk to Friar to see if it's okay. Good bye love," We kissed again and I ran out of the camp.
Juliet
I met him at the church, it was pretty empty aside from a few people scattered around, praying. Romeo went to Friar Lawrence to talk with him, meanwhile I sat at the bench near the stage. The place looked a bit run down, not maintained well. I guess its hard to keep a place of peace running with so much hate around you. Eventually you crumble.
Romeo walked out, happy and kissed me on the spot. After him was the Friar; He clutched a bible in his hand and shook my hand. 
"A very nice girl, indeed Romeo. I must warn you two though; You may want to rethink where you are going to go with this and what you will tell your families. I will marry you two here."
We stepped to the altar. Romeo held both my hands and we gazed into each other's eyes. A few sentences from the Friar and two I do's said. That's all it took for us to be joined together.
"Where do we go from here?" I ask him.
"I have to go to my home and collect my money. I'll meet you in your backyard. Be waiting."
We parted, I went home. When I got there my parents were happy to see me, claiming they found a nice young man named Paris who wants to talk with me.
"I can't mother. I...need to change and brush my hair. I'm a total mess!"
"Oh please, you look fine Juliet. Please, get to know him a little. He's a nice boy."
"Oh, fine." At this point my mother went into the kitchen and Paris sat on the couch next to me.
"You look really nice. You don't need to do your hair, or change your outfit. They're perfect."
"Thanks, but honestly I'm not looking for a boyfriend or anything. I'm in a...situation.."
"Like? What, your married? Ha, that's funny."
"Yes. I am actually,"I hesitated, realizing anyone could overhear me. The coast was clear.
"You're kidding, right?"
"No..no I'm not. I...got married to the love of my life, in hopes that it'd be more accepting for us to be together. You see, he's from the city. Later....he's going to take me with him so we can live somewhere together."
"Huh. Well..I'm speechless. But...I respect your choice. I hope you two make it."
"Thank you for understanding. It's much obliged."
Romeo
Juliet sat at her window. The moonlight shown across her face, she looked excited to see me. We kissed through the window and she pulled me in.
"Everything packed?" I whispered.
"Yes, of course. I kissed my parents goodnight and they went to bed hours ago. Oh, Romeo, I love you so much. Enough to run away with you, even if my parents may never accept it."
"I love you too, Juliet. I love you with all my heart. I found an apartment in a small area of town where the opposition isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the town. We should be able to live in harmony," I kissed her there on her window ledge. She pulled me in further until we sat on the bed.
We got undressed, the hunger for love overthrowing our hurry to get out of here. We made out for a while before moving on to bigger things. We must have fell asleep in the end because when we woke up I saw the sun out the window.
"Morning my love. Did you sleep well?" She kissed my cheek.
"Yes, very. But we have to go soon, before everyone wakes."
"Oh please, it isn't morning just yet. Not until we wake up. And I'm not awake fully. Let's just lie here a while, and dream.
"Come on, I can't get caught by your parents. We should go."
"Fine, fine. We should go, but I really will miss my family a lot."
I sighed," I know. Maybe one day we can come back and it won't be so bad, but if we are to be together we must leave."
Suddenly, Juliet's mothers voice was heard down the hall. We panicked. She shoved me out the window and I felt my head hit the grass before getting up and running into the woods near by. I waited and waited but she didn't come. So I took a walk into the city.
"Hey Romeo! ど�"行ってたの?(Where you been?)," Mercutio said. He was playing a hacky sack along with Benvolio.
"�"�"ではない (Not here.)," he tossed the sack to me and we began to play the game. It wasn't long before trouble arrived.
"Oh, Romeo! I need to talk with you!" I didn't recognize his voice.
"Who are you?" I ask. But then I realize it's Juliet's cousin Tybalt. He looks angry.
"I found out about your little 'thing' last night with my cousin. I am not lying when I say that you are forever more my enemy!" He gets really close, ready to throw a punch.
"I will defend you, Romeo!" Mercutio jumps in.
"No, Mercutio. I will handle this," I turn back to Tybalt," Tybalt, I must not start a fight with you, because I have to love you unconditionally, even if I can't exactly explain why at this moment. I don't bear any hatred toward you. And I don't want to be an enemy of you either."
He doesn't listen to my word, and swings his fist. I duck right in time. That's when Mercutio jumps in. I know he can beat any normal person up with his Tai Chi, however Tybalt is very strong looking. I'm not sure how this will go on.
"Come on, hit me pretty boy," Tybalt teases Mercutio. 
"I will," Mercutio delivers a hard blow, but Tybalt isn't affected by it as much as I would have been.
"Stop you two, Mercutio you will get hurt!" I try to interfere.
"Not now Romeo, this man will go down!" But just has he says this, Tybalt gets him hard in the gut. Mercutio is down on the ground. Tybalt flees.
"Mercutio! Are you okay?"
"Yes, it's just a bruise," he groans slightly," I will be fine in the morning. Just need to see a doctor is all." He starts coughing though. And eventually there's blood coming up.
"Benvolio! Get a doctor! Hurry!" I yell at him, and he's typing it in his cell phone. I kneel over his body, using the end of my shirt to wipe his mouth full of blood.
"You will be okay Mercutio. Please, just stay alive!"
But it is too late. He rolls over on his side and his eyes close. His body goes limp just as we hear an ambulance down the street. I take his pulse but there is none.
"Mercutio! No!" I'm in tears. My best friend has died before my eyes. I need to find Tybalt.
I run into the camp, undetected and I notice him sitting on a bench, relaxing. I attack from behind.
"You killed my best friend! I will never forgive you!" I tell him. He's surprised and slight shocked I can tell. We fight hard and I notice a crowd around me. He pulls a knife out and swings at me.
"You want to play that way?" I grab a metal pipe on the ground.
For a  while we swing and miss by inches but then finally his knife slices my arm. I am able to knock him over with my feet from behind and he tumbles like a brick building. Now's the chance. I take the pipe and hit the back of his head. He doesn't get up again.
The crowd becomes angry, claiming I've killed him. But I don't even know what I'm thinking anymore. I run out of the camp as fast as possible. I go to the only place I can think of. Friar Lawrence's room at the church.
"All over the news they're looking for you, Romeo. I can't believe what you did."
"Friar, I didn't kill him purposely, you must believe me. It was just...I was angry. I wanted revenge and it wasn't right. I need my Juliet, but she may just hate me forever now. I don't deserve to live anymore," I wipe my teary eyes while Friar Lawrence puts bandages on me. Suddenly a knock is at the door. Its a small woman seeking me.  
"Romeo? Ah, yes. You are exactly how she told me. You have to come with me. Juliet wants to see you, she misses you. By the way, I am her housekeeper. And yes, even in the conditions this world is in, they still need a person like me."
"No, I can't. What if she finds out I'm her cousin's killer and shuts me away? You can't make me go, I'd rather die!"
"Oh please. She knows what happens, and even I think she's crazy for still loving you. She even sent a ring as a token," The woman hands it to me. I'm refilled with hope.
"I'll go. Thank you, miss. You are greatly appreciated."
Juliet
My heart feels heavy with grief; My dear cousin is dead at the hands of my love. I don't know what it is inside my heart that is preventing me from hating Romeo's guts. Maybe its the love that overpowers those hateful feelings during times like this. I trust that Romeo didn't mean to kill Tybalt. Right now all I want is him to be near me. I'm afraid the cops have gotten to him and he's locked up tight in jail already.
But my fears go away when I notice him walk up to the window. He climbs in silently and kisses me upon entering. I see the bandages and know he was hurt bad.
"I missed you," He whispers into my ear," But I was afraid you'd reject me. I'm happy you didn't."
"I missed you too. Romeo what are we going to do?"
"I have no clue. It's hasn't been long since we met but every day I love you more. It sounds crazy to you too, right?"
"Definitely. But maybe it's the crazy in it that makes it so pure, so special. We need to get out of here and go somewhere we can be together and not be disturbed."
"But where? I don't know anymore Juliet. 
We lie down and relax. I cuddle next to him and we nap for an hour. When I wake up, Romeo steps out of bed. He goes to the dresser, looks in the mirror. I don't see it at first but he's crying. I get out and hug him from behind.
"Don't be sad, my love. I know our friends and family are up in heaven right now. Maybe it was their time. You never know."
"I think we should just go. Right now. Go somewhere and figure it out on the way. Like you said, sometimes crazy is good. So lets go."
"I....Okay. Let's go."
"私はあなた�'愛�-." Romeo says.
"What was that?"
"It means I love you in Japanese," and we kiss. I get changed into a better outfit and we climb out the window undetected. I brought personal items in a backpack and we traversed the woods undetected. For a while at least. No long before we reach the city do the helicopter lights shine above our heads. I didn't realize how wanted my husband was until this very moment.
Shots are fired from above us. They know it's Romeo and they want him, dead or alive. We dart between the houses, missing the gunfire by millimeters. 
"I'm scared! Romeo!"
He doesn't answer but instead he hides me seconds before he is discovered again. I watch him raise his hands slowly at the helicopter lights. The last words I hear him yell before they shoot him fatally is I love you in Japanese.
End.


© 2013 Emily Anne


Author's Note

Emily Anne
Sort of a Romeo and Juliet from the future. I made it a lot different than the book, yet the same all together. Maybe it will spark your imagination like it did mine. I tried highlighting key parts that I remember (It's been a while since I've read it). Sad but still, probably not as tragic as the original.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed your take on a classic! Your idea was a great one and I liked how you presented your idea in your writing. Keep up the good work!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Didn't know I used undetected twice in the last paragraph. Oh well, too lazy to fix at the moment. :P

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
2 Reviews
Added on April 25, 2013
Last Updated on April 25, 2013


Author

Emily Anne
Emily Anne

Colombia, NJ



About
Almost 16, love the Hunger Games Trilogy, Minecraft, Sims 3, I write a lot of fiction. I'm a Christian, so I'd like it if you didn't post hate on my page about it. Video gamer, writer, possible archit.. more..

Writing