Hope

Hope

A Chapter by Emily Anne
"

“What seems to us as bitter trials are often blessings in disguise”- Oscar Wilde

"
I was born on a Tuesday night, 7:15 PM. Six pounds, two ounces. I had a twin sister who was born minutes before at seven pounds eight ounces and a twin brother who was born at seven pounds ten ounces. Not only was I small, but my eyes and my skin were the most shocking part.
They call me an alien at school. The kids either fear me or make fun of the way I look. I blame it on society's need for perfection and criticism. However, I don't pay attention to the taunts or occasional squeamish students of this idiotic public school. I am straight A student, I read, and I like to stay hidden. 
Even though I know I'm better than them, I still feel that pit in my gut. Maybe they're right, I sometimes think. Maybe I shouldn't get up for school ever again.  But my mother talks me out of it. My brother Mason says he'll beat up any guy who tries to hurt me. My sister Amber tells me she scratch the girl's eyes out if they say another word to me. But I know it's only to try and help me.
I'm not depressed. Actually, I'm happy with my life. It's just the hurtful looks I get in school and in public I can't stand. I know nothing will stop it ever, but it's senior year of high school and the words I hear going down the hall only get worse. I wish they would realize I'm just like them. Physically, I look like I'm from outer space. But inside, I'm human. One hundred percent human. 

Today is Friday. I get up, as usual and change into my school outfit, along with my brother and sister. Normally I drive, since my brother has to retake his driver's test and my sister is just lazy. I find it funny that the two of them are polar opposites; Amber is lazier than a couch potato and Mason works out all the time. Both of them get decent grades, meanwhile I am the brain in the family.
The school parking lot was backed up with traffic as usual, so I dropped my siblings at the door and parked as soon as possible. I grabbed my pink and white polka-dotted bag and a text book I left on the center console and headed into school.

"Hey look, it's the green gremlin," I hear a boy whom I think is a junior whisper to his friends. I just ignore and walk on.

"Evangeline, right?" A girl who graduates a few years after me. Her name is Jill, and she is the one who gets on my nerves the most. I already know she knows my name.

"What do you want?" I ask, trying to get away.

"I was just going to tell you to go back to your home planet, you're not needed here," I hear her friends snicker behind her. My cheeks feel really hot with embarrassment and anger. But I just go to homeroom.

The whole day goes on as normal, except when I was at the library during my free period. There's a junior here who, along with a friend, got pregnant over the summer. Both of them are far enough along to tell it, and I noticed that same girl from earlier harassing them. 

"H-hey! Leave those girls alone!" I say, as I get nearer. The girl turns to me.

"Excuse me? I can't understand your alien language. Speak in English, please," her friends laugh out loud.

"I said, leave them alone. We all know half of your after school activities include sleeping around with guys on sports teams. They made one mistake and you're going to make fun of it? I won't let you." 

At this point, she ignores all I say but instead of going back to punishing them with rude comments, she starts making a ton at me. I felt tears going down my eyes, the more she said the worse I felt. I didn't think it could get any worse than this. But it did. One of the pregnant girls joined in. She pointed, laughed, even agreed with Jill. 
I was about to run off, when I noticed the other girl stand up, angry.

"Shut up Jill," she said so calmly. Jill looked confused and turned to her.

"You heard me. Shut, the hell, up," After that, she turned to me and grabbed my arm.  She pulled me out of the library and we were practically running down the hall.

"You think she's mad? I hope so, it's funny when you leave them frustrated. I'm Olivia, by the way. And I know you are Evangeline," She almost talks faster than I can comprehend. 

"Yea, I guess it's hard NOT to know who I am....Where are we going?"

"Somewhere I like to go during free period. My brother is Mr. Jensen. His classroom has access to the court yard and he gave me the key back there. Best of all there are so many shrubs it's impossible for the classes to see us. So we can hang out there until next period."

"Oh. Nice...Um. I just have a question."

"There will be time when I get the door unlocked. For now, check if the coast is clear."

I look around the hall, while she opens the empty classroom's door. In the classroom, she unlocks the courtyard door and we are in. I never really noticed the courtyard here until now. There were lots of pretty flowers and a table in the center. I liked it.

"So. ask away," she says, lying her books on the table.

"Well, where do I start? Hmm, okay. Why are you being nice to me?"

"Why not? I'm not a mean person, Eva. Do you mind if I call you that?"

"I don't mind," I clear my throat," So..." I think this conversation got more awkward than I thought it would get.

"Okay, I'll just tell you about me. I'm a junior, I made the mistake of doing the deed with my ex over summer break and now I'm left with a watermelon belly and a baby in 4 months.  My favorite color is blue and I'm a B average student. Hmm...what else? Oh yea, I want to be your friend!" She smiles. I'm not sure whether to be happy or weirded out.

"Well, um. I have a brother, and a sister. A mom, a dad, and two cats. Um..."

"Go on. We've got 30 minutes girl."

"My favorite color is pink, and I'm in the top ten percent in my grade."

"Wow! You're smart. I didn't expect that, you don't look like a nerd."

"That's because I try to blend into the background as best as I can. You kind of have to with people like Jill."

"Oh please, don't talk about that w***e. She doesn't deserve the attention."

We laugh, and for the first time I'm not regretting getting up this morning for school. When the bell rings, we part. Maybe I've got a friend? I don't really know what friendship feels like, since I never really had one. 

Three months go by like this. We meet at the classroom. I had her brother as a teacher last year, and luckily he was one of my favorites. So I had no problem seeing him in the classroom occasionally. We would talk about the things we liked, people we had crushes on (Although I didn't have many in this school), and anything that came to mind. It wasn't bad. I actually enjoyed going to school for once.
She was put on bed-rest by her doctor because there were a few false times she thought she went into labor. I would visit her after school every day. It turns out she lives with her brother because her parents practically disowned her for being irresponsible and what-not. I was sort of excited, the baby was due soon. 
She talked about her options to me. She said ultimately, she wants to be the one raising her child. She told be there's no way she's letting the baby go after going through 9 months of carrying the baby. She also chose to keep the gender secret until it's born. So we call the baby it, for now.
I was surprised when my brother asked me if he could go with me.

"I want to see Olivia with you. I'm her friend too, you know?" He looked eager. So I decided to let him come with me.

We arrived at her house after school around 2 o'clock. She was lying on the couch eating ice cream and potato chips. Her brother was in the kitchen and I could smell dinner being made. Occasionally I'd eat over and on weekends I would bring take-out with me so we could watch movies in our PJ's. 
Mr. Jensen, or Noah when we are out of school, is a really nice guy. He was a new teacher last year, so this is his second year as a teacher. I always found him as one of my favorite teachers, since he never doubted me or judged me by the way I looked. Any other teacher would hesitate, but he instead looked intrigued. He would ask questions, as long as I was comfortable answering them. His class was one of the few I liked. He teaches U.S. History 2, and I'm pretty sure I got a perfect 100 every marking period. 
I'd be lying if I told you I didn't have a slight crush. He is pretty good looking, and our ages are not far apart. But if there's ever a chance, I'd rather wait until after high school. For now I'm keeping a steady friendship with him. For now I'm focused on helping out Olivia and her soon-to-be baby.

A few weeks later on a Thursday, Lucas James Jensen was born at 8 pounds. I recall getting out of my car after school and running back in the car when Olivia called and told me to get to the hospital. I was in the waiting room for an hour before I was finally aloud in by her. 
I helped calm her down and in the process I thought a lot. I decided that this was real friendship. I considered Olivia my best friend now, and I was content with that. The people in school still harass me. But now I have a purpose in life. 
I graduated in late May. My last name starts with Z, so I was in the last group of kids walking to the podium to receive their diploma. When I got there, I whispered to the principal if I could say a few words. He decided to let me.

"Hello, it's me, Evangeline Zimmerman," I started. The crowd rumbled and I heard a really loud rude comment and a wave of laughter immediately after.

"Calm down now. I know you people would rather watch paint dry than listen to me, but I just have to say a few things," I pause and take a deep breath,"Here it goes. So first things first, my entire school life was hell. And 90 percent of you were the reason. But I've pushed past that. All of it. I'm going to college this fall, since I got a full scholarship to any college of my choice. I guess all I'm trying to say is....Thanks. Thank you for putting me through what I went through, because I've only gotten stronger through it. Now I have a best friend and a future to look up to. I hope you all have the same luck as me, and good bye."

I stepped down teary eyed as only a few students in the crowd stood up. The handful that did started to clap and soon all the students were clapping. Of course, I know I'll never be liked by every person on the planet, but I do know this; You can't loose hope. 




© 2013 Emily Anne


Author's Note

Emily Anne
Trying to go for an inspiration sci-fi twist, lol. I hope you liked it, it took a while to think through.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on April 30, 2013
Last Updated on May 2, 2013
Tags: Alien, sci-fi, science fiction, bullying, inspiration, lol, hope


Author

Emily Anne
Emily Anne

Colombia, NJ



About
Almost 16, love the Hunger Games Trilogy, Minecraft, Sims 3, I write a lot of fiction. I'm a Christian, so I'd like it if you didn't post hate on my page about it. Video gamer, writer, possible archit.. more..

Writing