Banality

Banality

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

This is a short story of fiction regarding a fall...not too far from where you are.

"

Banality

(Mr. Alfa, Mr. Omega and Mr. Oregano take a walk)

An Oval Precaution

By: Earl Schumacker

An oval blue, in the form of an extended sky, stretched out from horizon to horizon; hung there in the inquisitors distant light, seemingly held suspended there by some strings or rays of light, as a tiny yellow glowing disc, a rubbery sun or some such thing, emanating there, pulsing there.  Perhaps the formation of a dawning day could come to fruition if they stayed a while with nothing better to do than smile.

A crisp cold wind rolled over the long emerald green, tall grasses that stretched out over an endless flat scenery, grasping at landscape as if it had a hand.

The highest cliff in the world is Nanga Parbat's Rupal Flank, which rises approximately 4, 600 meters, or 15, 000 feet, above its base. The Ultar Sar in Pakistan


Mr. Alfa took his daily walk beyond the green lands that always stopped short at the edge of reason, his world and that which he perceived.  A rather steep cliff which was approximately 5 or 6 feet steeper than Rupal Flank (but that fact does not matter), as Mr. Alfa resumed his walk, a step beyond safety and marched off the edge at a very brisk pace. Speed and gravity assisted in his downward spiral quickly, making it most uncomfortable for the man.  He met the jagged rocks below and they greeted him with less pleasantries.

Mr. Omega, along with Mr. Oregano normally met up with Mr. Alfa at this hour every morning at cliff top to discuss business. There would be no meeting today as Mr. Alfa’s business had concluded abrutly.

A strong wind continued rolling along in a natural course. Omega and Oregano were entirely too close to the cliff edge.  Perhaps they were looking for signs of their missing friend.   Mr. Omega grabbed Oregano’s arm as he had slipped on a loose rock too close to the end. Sadly, Mr. Oregano’s arm proved to be too short for such an undertaking.

The rest of his weight proved to be less than sufficient support as well. (A good anchor he was not.) Both men could not be held in place upon a simple smile. The wind assisted them, swept them off.  In their fall from grace and lack of proper footing placement, (The art of balance escaped them), their act was over as they tumbled to their respective ends upon the unforgiving ways of gravity.

Later that day Mrs. Alfa, Omega's wife and dear Mrs. Oregano met at the cliff top to toss yellow flowers to the sea.  Red winged bird’s chirped approval of this activity.   Ocean waves licked the shore line by the cliff’s rock bottom. Banality settled in as expected, leaving the girls to their own devices in a yawn, remembering three men in speckled glasses, who could not see the cliff through all that falling.





© 2016 Earl Schumacker


Author's Note

Earl Schumacker
Wake up please! (Don't fall asleep.... Don't fall from high places.)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on June 13, 2016
Last Updated on June 13, 2016
Tags: cliffs, falling, memory, banality, geography, yawning

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing