Beyond The Plateau

Beyond The Plateau

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

The world Is flat?

"


Beyond reason, beyond understanding, on the border of unfathomable, the world is flat.. Everybody knows that.

This evening Mr. Pawn strolls for hours on end, alone, along the edge of oblivion, there on the top land where he was

born.. There is nothing to be seen below the plateau. That is, nothing that is known.

He is such an optimistic soul filled with high hopes and dreams of something else.

 A young man from the high land is out on this calm night to look over the edge of his

 secluded world, down at a vastness into the dark below, that stretches into the remote 

distance, knowing in his heart that there is something down there. Most inhabitants 

accept the fact that this is their life. The unknown must be accepted and kept that way, 

as a part of life, of destiny, of fate and faith, fixed forever in their lives.

A great potential for adventure has been building inside Mr. Pawn for years, awakening on

this moment in time, for transition to another place, something new. Any change is good.

Waiting, standing in place, in a state of stasis for him is the same as wasting away rotting 

in the tomb. There is something new rising up inside and at his command, right here, 

right now. Sojourning might offer solace, comfort for his tormented soul. He suffers for

 what? for nothing..... for who?... for who would listen?... How should he proceed

and what should he do next? Something...anything...or more of the same....nothing?..

He has had these awful thoughts, this awful particular thought for some time now 

secretly. He has had this deliciously strange idea that the world is round.

This night he has his feet firmly planted on the ground. They happen to be pointed, 

headed in the right direction at the perimeters edge, perhaps only by coincidence but 

there he is standing in his boots on the precipice of truth. The world is astounding as he

 looks down determined and he is setting out to prove it.


The edge is a good place to get started. He brought along a copper pot for the occasion.

Fresh pond water from a recent rain, old branches and wild twittle grass are readily

 available, easy to acquire to build a fire and cook some harvest beans.


No one from his village had ever ventured off to this location on the plateau, not for centuries.. Stories have been told of people falling to their death, gone forever. We have been for centuries protected from the past, by stories told and handed down like old used garments, tattered, torn, distorted over time. from old used people who themselves, where told stories meant for children as bed time stories to keep them safe from outsiders and unknown forces. No one could get to the plateau. Jagged vertical walls precluded the inhabitants from leaving and visitors from entering their realm since there were no passable roads. Tonight he would enjoy his meal and dream about the lowlands.


It was a mystery how the young man awoke and ended up deposited on the desert floor down so far.


A thin dirt road sliced through the dusty terrain in a winding meandering manner. Pawn, dressed in a jet black suit with matching leather boots, began his journey. His attire was entirely inappropriate for travel

at this time of year, being that it was Winter everywhere, holding life in a frozen grip. It called for heavier

apparel and gear to get about. He walked steadily, confidently on, in a singular direction for discovery.  He was set on exploring the universe.  The people in his region had no cure for his condition so he did not tell a soul where he was going not even friends or family.


They would not ever understand him or his plan. He was forced into an adventure not of his making but of his predilection. He had not made a single move or step in the past without alerting those around him of his intentions.


In no time at all he came upon an opening to a large stone cave on the side of a rolling hill. An ancient wood sign at the entrance read, “STAY OUT!” Curiosity got the best of him so he entered the dark cavern without thinking first, besides, he does not read foreign languages. Before he knew it, he was captured by two young ladies wearing only the bottom part of a blue uniform. They grabbed his arms and marched the surprised young man into and through the winding labyrinth depths of the dark path hollows, aided only by the light of a single torch held firmly by one of the truly determined young ladies already lactating for no particular reason.


They sat him down on a stone bench. It appeared to be some kind of office room. A sign on a dark pink wall read, DR. TU " UROLOGY. They represented meaningless letters or symbols to Pawn.

Without warning and in what seemed to be only moments, he was ushered off to another room. Mr. Pawn was alarmed at what happened next. He was stripped of his entire wardrobe, became completely naked, forced on to a cold metallic table and was tied down. He found himself in the middle of a smaller chamber. It was painted in a suitable dark blue for whatever they had in store for him. There was one single bright light coming from the center ceiling.

The man from the plateau looked apprehensively now at his captors, who, for the first he could inspect for the first time and see them as the criminals that they are.


He could see the faces of the girls who kidnapped him, took him captive against his will. They were pretty of course....pretty and bad...Their perky firm breasts exposed, fresh milk dripping from them as you might expect. Two additional young females joined them from some unknown corner of the cave and surrounded the confused man. What did they want from him?


It turns out this was simply a waiting room. He was being prepared, held against every fiber of his being

for some diabolical scheme, some unholy, ungodly ritual or procedure. One of the youngest female attendants grabbed parts of his body that should not be handled, which in his land would be considered a mortal sin. The cold sweaty wet hands laid all over and on him made him feel uncomfortable and the

un-pleasantries did not stop there. He had no time for reflection on these matters but he truly regretted beginning of this un-fortuitous adventure.


Has she no shame!? Circumstances got worse. She stuck needles filled with thick green fluid into him. Some of the places of entry were unmentionable and will remain that way. (unsaid.) He went numb.


She and the others focused on particular parts of the confused outer-world-er's anatomy like some deranged witch-doctors in a trance performing a satanic ritual on a voodoo doll. One of them shook Mr. Pawn like a limp raggedy doll bishop. They were really not there to strangle the bishop, though that, in and of itself is a sin. They wanted to gather his precious bodily fluids for some unholy religious rites or hideous scientific research.


While the needle piercing continued over and over again, chanting of unrecognizable words and spells came flooding forth from some demonic depths of their sordid souls.

It was all too much, too mortifying for the more than modest Mr. Pawn, who was starting to think something was really wrong here.


To say the least, these were certainly unusual proceedings.


Just then, the leader of the group came charging through a wooden door. It was their leader. A tall thin man with a dark complexion, wavy short black hair. It was assumed this must have been Dr. Tu. who hovered above them, elaborately dressed in a glowing white uniform, holding apparatuses little and large and other accouterments of his trade, tools of his trade so to speak, to perform some unholy unnatural acts. He displayed or expressed a large Cheshire cat like smile, exposing endless rows of perfectly white teeth which served the purpose of a distraction for his forthcoming deeds. The prevailing cave light conditions were an ominous sign of what was to come, masked the reality of what this place really is. The doctor might have mentioned his name to Mr. Pawn. It did not matter. It had too few letters to be of any consequence based on what was to follow. Any interest on his original goals flew out the window. Oddly, there were no windows to be found. He would have gladly jumped out of one had it been available.


Dr. Tu's white head gear or hat that came to a point at the top, gave an appearance of prestige and importance to the man of the hour who was about to perform a procedure or operation on his tied down patient or victim, if you like.


The green fluid started to take effect. Nothing seemed strange or unusual. Everything was as it should be. He was, after all, a simple man from the highlands to begin with. He should be willing to accept different cultural quirks. The captured man had nothing to worry about. Lay back.. enjoy the ride... Smile. Everything will be all right. Problems melted away, left his mind and spirit at peace. Let the authorities have their way.


The girls were now keenly focused on his private parts. Something was about to happen. Their eyes and mouths opened so wide. It was not fly catching season so something was up. The doctor put on thick black rubbery gloves that glistened by the chamber light. He pulled out a large black mysterious device with a long narrow tube, similar to the tongue of the humming bird. He took a firm grasp of the young man. Lets leave it at that. He then began to insert the tip of the apparatus deep inside him. Somewhere we can't mention. Someone said, “This will not hurt one bit.” “You might feel some discomfort.” That was clearly a lie.  What would become of his lost innocence?


Enlightenment struck the young man like a thunder bolt. He understood everything when he awoke. They were after his precious bodily fluids. It was all so clear.  It was about taking his life force, his life energy....precious bodily fluids.... precisely.... precious... bodily fluids. He would never be the same.


When he regained consciousness he found himself outside in the bright sunlight. He noticed that this new world was filled with rolling hills, giant mountains, rolling oceans too big to touch, valleys, distances as far as the imagination could reach. He was off to see how big this world could be and prove the world is round.




© 2017 Earl Schumacker


Author's Note

Earl Schumacker
This is the replacement for my story "Precious Bodily Fluids." This is more refined and readable story for all age groups. Enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
Added on July 18, 2017
Last Updated on July 18, 2017
Tags: adventure, discovery, strange, mystery

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing