Blue Melting Material

Blue Melting Material

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

Miniature black holes and other small maters

"

Conditions remain the same today, though collisions do not, at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) near Geneva Switzerland. (The particle collider facility also runs through a section of France in that general vicinity and is operated by the European scientific group called CERN.) Particle collisions is what they do and they do it well. Today is a normal day, an ordinary day; quiet, peaceful, even sane. There is a lot to be said for the mundane. Too bad no one is saying it but the “ordinary” does not make headline front page news and it does not pay well either. 

The scientists there work feverishly every day for a chance to make a name for themselves by creating new particles to parade around for all of mankind to marvel at their creations and their genius. The Higgs-boson discovery in 2012 was an eye opener. The Large Hadron Collider's Compact Muon Solenoid experiment is open to the public to admire. The Higgs-to-bottom quark coupling was extraordinary. It was the experiment to date that is sending us on our way to bigger and better particle findings. We are looking for black holes, dark matter and dark energy as we speak.

Every day is a good day to explain what our universe is made of and what makes it work. Scientists take it apart bit by bit for show and tell.
In the most simplistic terms: The standard model claims that everything in the universe is made from basic building blocks called “fundamental particles” that are governed by 4 forces: 
Gravity, electromagnetic, weak nuclear and strong nuclear. These 4 forces work over different ranges and have different strengths. The new particles being worked on today, if they exist, would not be the description of the Standard Model. The science might lead to a whole new area of particle physics. It could also lead to the discovery of a 5th. Fundamental particle.

It is time to move on to the matter at hand. A small group of criminal quasi-would-be-scientists just woke up to a new day from their not too kind dreams. They would have been better served to stay asleep in their beds on this fine day, which was quickly accelerating into a nightmare. They were a group of misfits living and working in an illegal particle creation lab in upstate New York. I wish we could say it was a particle accelerator facility but it was not. It was a run down factory and they were out to make anything for a buck. Some of them actually had a diploma or GED from some place or another.

Conditions were spiraling out of control. A strange blue substance, a thick gelatinous product or brew had been expanding over night. It was now growing, overflowing from the copper vats onto the concrete floor of the abandoned work site, hidden mostly by oak trees and situated by the remote river bank, which was only now rising higher than usual. The product or material was a highly toxic, dangerous invention that quickly ate through the floor. These wacky individuals who created the stuff began to run in circles. They were five grown men in their thirties scampering about and screaming like babies at the top of their lungs over what they had done. The situation was beyond their control. What have they created? 

It wasn't like they were scientists from the CERN facility in Switzerland, who at any moment of the day could create tiny black holes with their sophisticated collider. Any one of which could destroy the Earth in minutes. Any one of those miniature sub atomic black holes could instantly, with their newly created weight and heavy mass, pass easily right through our planet to its core and destroy us one and all. There would be nothing to stop it. 


This newly invented blue glob like material seems to be doing just that. New York is as good a place as any to put an end the world. As the hysterical men looked down the newly formed hole, they could see no end in sight. The substance was well on its way to the center of the Earth. It would surely disrupt the electromagnetic dynamics of our planet.

It is funny how these men from CERN and these idiots from New York don't ask for a show of hands or ask the question, “Hey boys and girls, would anyone here mind if we tamper with the forces of nature by breaking the laws of the universe and perhaps in the process destroy our world and all of us in it?”

We might respond in kind, “Do you have an alternate planet in mind where we might reside?” “Could we see a show of hands?” 

Authors note: This story is not far from reality.

© 2018 Earl Schumacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

66 Views
Added on September 7, 2018
Last Updated on September 7, 2018
Tags: power, danger, mystery, sub atomic particles, crime

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing