Exigencies Of The End

Exigencies Of The End

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

A life worth living. It is no emergency or is it?

"

Exigencies Of The End



The world will end with or without you. Just kidding. It will end and take you with it.

Recent science and psychological studies have shown that the human mind protects us from our own mortality. Our minds are designed to protect us from our mortal condition. Thank you mind!


All things will pass, (to quote George Harrison.) You and everything in existence will come to an end.

Please. Have your morning coffee. Don't let me distract you from your daily business. Allow me to continue with or without you.


There is a chance you might not die today. Death is something that happens in the future. It happens to others. Don't you just love Chance? Chance is your friend for sure. There is no real emergency to get your life in order. The immediacy of the moment dictates that chance is on your side what ever you decide.


Do we have demons? Do we have saints? There is a cure for demons. You can exercise them, (we suggest not sending them to gymnasiums.) You can execute them or incarcerate them or send them to asylums. But what about saints? Is there a cure for saints? Sure. You simply torture them and kill them if they become a distraction.

We all know the consequences of those actions. That is how martyrs are born. Killing saints is how their message become contagious. The ancient Romans used to marvel at these strange people who would be happy to die for Jesus. The executioners would say, “Boy-o-boy I wish I could die like that!”

They really didn't say exactly that. They spoke a foreign language not English. Saints would die not for themselves but for God.


If you have no God or false gods; like politicians, rock stars and Harry Potter, it does not matter. You are going to die ( maybe not today but maybe tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow never knows.)


Options: You can lead a good life and maybe good things will happen in the end. You can have a bad life and good things or bad thing can happen when you die or nothing will happen and you will fade away into the great nothingness of nonexistence. There is a chance you will not be saved by the great cosmic muffin.


We have all been wearing the “I” suit our entire lives. We were born with “I” in mind. We will die with “I” in mind. Can we ever escape the “I” to reach out beyond our own selves? There is penitential peace when we obtain the concept of something greater than us and our own selfish selves.


As prodigies of nature or nurture we are all designed to be deceased and may all reasonably look forward to relief from worldly suffering. You have the choice to have Chance or God as your master. You have them as your final answer.


There is no emergency to decide the issue.


Have one more cup of coffee for the road. Have one more cup of coffee before you go, to the valley below. (As Bob Dylan would say.)

© 2020 Earl Schumacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

39 Views
Added on January 31, 2020
Last Updated on January 31, 2020
Tags: life, death, the rest

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing