What About The Rhino

What About The Rhino

A Story by Earl Schumacker
"

The science of falling

"

What about the Rhino?


I know you ask yourselves this question every day. What happens when you drop your rhinoceros out of your airplane from way up high in the atmosphere? (No parachute.)


You drop a 1 lb. Iron ball at the same time. Which of them lands first?


It all has to do with air drop rate, terminal velocity, drag coefficient and the square-cube law.


The square-cube law simply states that, as an object's size increases, its volume grows faster than its surface area. Consider that the formula for the surface area of a sphere is 4*pi*r2, where r is the sphere's radius, while the formula for volume is 4/3*pi*r3�"hence the name "square-cube law".


There is a chance the rhino will hit first but the iron ball will be a close second as both will most likely reach their terminal velocities around the same time.


Throwing iron balls out of airplanes might be good science within the parameters or laws of nature and makes for good experimentation but littering is against the law.


The rhino will be falling at about 200 mph. It will land with the force of several sticks of dynamite going off. I would not want to be standing there below it at the time of impact. Just an idea.


The real question should be; why are you throwing your rhino out of the plane in the first place? Why would you do that?


Have a great day and keep your rhinos at home where they belong.

© 2021 Earl Schumacker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hello Earl my friend and thank you so much for the smile. You know my Pa had a degree in physics, I never quite got the hang of it. I love the questions you pose here, so amusing. I have to say, your imagery was pretty explosive. That rhino make a hell of a mess on landing. Pity the poor soul who would be tasked with the ckean up :) I love the way your mind picks on a random topic like this to share with us and brighten our day. All good wishes to you across the pond.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Earl Schumacker

2 Years Ago

Hi Chris,
Thank you so much. So glad you enjoyed it. Authors disclaimer: No animals or bal.. read more
ahahaha thanks for the giggles Earl .. and the math lesson .. never looked much into it but always thought they would both hit at the same time. your my learn something new every day for today my friend .. congratulations :)))))) I have several rhinos out back but none of them fly ... they saw it is too dangerous and i can never get them on board.
E.
ps. the steel balls are too precious to be tossing out the plane .. i am keeping them hanging ... around for a while longer :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Earl Schumacker

2 Years Ago

Hi E. Thanks! Glad you liked it. Yes. You are right. When it comes to balls and animals safety .. read more
Einstein Noodle

2 Years Ago

:)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

48 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 1, 2021
Last Updated on May 1, 2021
Tags: Rhinoceros, iron ball, falling

Author

Earl Schumacker
Earl Schumacker

Atlantic City, NJ



About
B.A. Degree in Literature and Language. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, novels and keeping up with new scientific discoveries. I enjoy philosophy and Art appreciation. more..

Writing