The Beginning

The Beginning

A Chapter by Jessica
"

Galveston, tx Bridges for promise 1994

"
Kybian looks up at the beating sun and wipes the collecting sweat from his dark sun kissed brow.
"Hijole! It's hot!" He said to himself as he began to open his water bottle, "at least the bay has a nice breeze."
A simple young man, burned to a darker complexion with a bronzed shine that flirts with the sun and cursed with sun spots from where his sweat had been trapped beneath the blisters of callused skin.. A shaggy flow of dark sweat filled curls stick to his face and block the Young mans exhausted green eyes. He had been working the sand mines in Baja California, Mexico, before he decided to be a contracted migrant worker in the states. To this day he catches himself day dreaming of his homelands. When he first came to the states, the job market for construction and engineering had come to a complete halt. Bridges for Promise had been the only thing that kept him out of the unemployment line for the past 6 months. The financial debt crisis was not just causing economic depletion, it was practically starting wars. Everyone wanted money, but there wasn't any money for anyone to have. So the want was useless and the arms race ran dry; it was just a matter of time before politics turned to man power. Modern warfare wouldnt stop power hungry politicians from sending civilians armed with home made weapons on boats to prove a point.
Kybian snaps out of his day dreaming memories with a sigh as he grabs for his napkin and wipes his mouth and hands.
"Time to get back to work, cabrones, you know these rich white men aren't gonna build this business tower themselves," he says to the other workers sitting around on the high rise finishing their lunches.
"The business tower is meant to accommodate a railway access for high profile clientele; the tower should put Galveston on the map." Khmx houstons afternoon DJ babbles on from the hanging hand held radio, "so grab your swimsuits ladies and gents! Now buckle down and get your hips moving to one of Selena's top hits, dreaming of you and don't forget to catch the 36th Grammy award show tonight starting at 8 only on...."
Kybian grabs his radio and changes the station, "the only thing going on that map is a rise in rental properties for the rich and more homeless on the streets," he grumbles to himself.
NP-1 sealant oozes out onto the last bolt of the metal frame, a sense of satisfaction floods Kybians senses. The young man knows that for his family, finishing this contract guarantees they will be moved out of the first world. For the first time in years his smile can not be contained, for the first time in years his smile is real.
Kybians exhausted fingers reach for the keypad. He enters the nine digit key code for the lift to come up to his level and take him back down to the bottom. As he waits his mind begins to drift him far off into his imagination. After today, he is moving into the new district on the other side of this monument to his success. The building will act as a bridge between the impoverished world he is leaving behind, and his shining new future with Bridges for Promise. As the lift whirrs up the long tower of beams, He looks down on the lift and a little startled, notices a very well dressed man standing on the platform that rises in his direction. His suit and tie, as well as his closed eyes; shows a type of calm that Kybian is not familiar with. His mind racess as to who this man can be, until at last.
"It must be the contractor." He says with relief. His Hispanic accent hangs in the metropolitan tower.
He had heard rumors that the man he works for is a different kind of man. No matter which way you look at him, no matter how often he makes good on his word; it is said that you just can't relax around the man. It is like a ghostly painting with eyes that follow you around the room.
The platform settles on the floor they both now stand. Kybian looks up and finds himself face to face, with whom he is sure, is his employer. The mans gaze alone violates his insides, like a caterpillar knawing away at an apples core. shivers pour down Kybians spine, and try as he might, he can't break his gaze.
"The rumors of how uncomfortable this man could make you feel, barely did the reality of it justice," kybian thinks to himself, "The well cut blonde hair, his soft features, no match for the epoch of a soul that seems to rage on behind this mans eyes."
"Good evening friend." The man says to Kybian in gentle sharp notes, "My name is Malech." Kybian snaps back to reality and chokes down the urge to perform the sign of the cross and drop to his knees. "You're actually ahead of schedule and I like that. Id sing your praises, but I wasn't in choir...though I do practice Catholicism." Malech continues with a chuckle.
Kybians eyes shoot back open and for some reason that word, Catholicism Puts him at ease. He is almost sure he can feel the presence of the lord come upon him, and cant imagine why he was so put off by this man before.
"Im glad you are pleased Mr. Malech, I stayed behind to make sure the touch ups were ready for a walkthrough," He puts up his hand to stop the young man from speaking.
"Malech is my first name, You can call me Mr. Malech Mucca," he slowly closes his eyes as he stretches out his hand. "Or you can call me Malech."
Kybians voice is mesmerized as he says Malechs words back to him in a jumble. "Mr. Malech Mucca, I like that," and presents his own hand out in friendly gesture.
After a gentle chuckle from Malech, and a warm reassured hand shake on Kybians part he assertes his gaze over the structure.
"Do you know what this place is for young man?" Malech inquires clasping his hands behind his back.
Before Kybian can even think, his mouth instantly gives an auto response, "It's to bridge the gap between the lost world we call a country and the new opportunity you have created for those of us who deserve to work."
The Young mans words warm Malechs heart and he softly replies with a wink, "Thats not quite right. Are you familiar with the bible?"
Kybian nodds with a quick, "si!" Eager to learn more.
"Genesis: three, twenty-two. The man has become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever." Malech begins in a somber voice as Kybians eyes dart to the left and right in confusion.
"Im afraid I dont catch your meaning Sir, I mean Mr. Mucca." correcting himself, kybian begins to feel his whole body shake and stiffen at the same time.
"No I suppose not. Let me explain.." Malech approaches his liaison with a reassuring hand on his back. "You see when man was introduced; people missed a huge hole in that plot. God said man has become like one of us. Now who do you suppose us is? You see, god had a family. That family needed a fruit that was the tree of life. Now man on the other hand was officially denied this because of his desire to stain his soul with wisdom." Kybian rubs the back of his neck in frustration to keep up as Malech paces on. "You see, no wisdom can come without suffering. The canvas, in which that suffering is painted on, is a persons innocence. When man and woman alike ate of the fruit, they traded their innocence for wisdom. They were no longer worthy of the fruit of life. This bridge is sort of like that. For some of us are the sons of god, and I for one expect my birth right. This bridge, this tower; it isnt just my gift to those who deserve a second chance. It is my birth right to the tree of life."
The Young Man sat in complete puzzlement and even that is an understatement. Everything in him was screaming this man is loco but instead let it go and Malech did not seem to notice. "So this is sort of your inheritance sir?" Kybian asks, trying to make sense of it all in a single question.
"You could say that. Its a bit watered down for the secrets of the kingdom, but thats what I get for speaking in parables isnt it?" He darts a piercing smile at the young man.
suddenly the taste of blood floods Kybians mouth as his body felt the brush of fear. He feels himself hurtle towards the same helplessness he felt watching his mother die of starvation to make sure him and his brothers could eat. He has done everything in his life to make sure he never felt the fading hope that growing up in poverty had given him. In a flash His wife Consuela and his son niko come to mind. Kybian swears to himself, they will never suffer those harsh realities as long as he is safe behind this contract and with this contract, he can take his family out of the past world. In a way he understood Malech, All that inheritance stuff didnt matter. What mattered was that this man was keeping good on his word. So what if he was a little weird, the money didnt look weird in Kybians bank account.

Malech looks around and then turns to face him once again. Beaming a smile with his eyes half closed. "Don't you see? Because I was denied my birth right, I had to take it for myself. So what if god wont give us eternal life? So what if we are ultimately denied eternal paradise? In the end, Heaven is where you make it. Eventually you have to accept the fact that you can make it for yourself! Thats the secret. I have secured an empire that will grant a shining new heaven for everyone who is intelligent enough to be involved. Hard work bridges the gap to the tree of life, my boy."
Kybian, could certainly make sense of all that. His boss might be a bit of smoke and mirrors but he can tell the man had the gift of gab. Mellow dramatics had no effect on Kybian, not usually; but he felt drawn up into the maelstrom of this man’s proposition. This so called parable wasnt a parable at all, This was real life; Its right here and now. No bible on earth could tell this story as far as Kybian was concerned. At this very moment, they were just two men with an obsession to get what was rightfully theirs.
"I am heading back down. Care to join me?" Malech asked letting the tone of his smile dial back a bit and bringing kybians attention to surface with a nod.
Malech dials up the code as they stand on the lift and it begins to lower back down to the surface. The tower appears to stand inbetween a great chasm.
Not quite sure why he had been requisitioned for building a tower in such an obscure location, Kybian decides he will ask. "Why build this between two ends plateaus like that?"
Malech without missing a beat, points up " Because I plan to install a rotating bridge at the top of course."
There was that smile again, Kybian thought to himself. Every time Malech talked about his plans the smile that chills Kybian to his soul surfaces. "So when you said a bridge you meant it literally?"
Malech nods, "very much so, you see this place will serve as an actual bridge between one side and the other. This land is special, and I plan to keep it that way. I can't have just anyone who didnt contribute coming in to enjoy the spoils. The economic collapse happened, not because leaders failed the people; but because people failed to work together for a singular cause."
Kybian nods, "That makes sense, but why a bridge? Why not an elevator?"
Malech starts to laugh at the young man's ignorance, "elevators arent exactly magical. Not to mention, you can only fit so much on an elevator. You can also sneak people through that. A rotating bridge on the other hand? Now thats a customs check I can get behind."
The lift reaches the bottom and the two men step off. Kybian turns to face Malech, Another question has been gnawing at him and he has to ask. "So what is the real criteria for this utopia youve built sir?"
Malech moves his hand to the small of Kybians back again, Making him feel quite uncomfortable. Trying to not be rude to his guest by this informal act, he replies, "Innocence is the key. It shows that there is still some good left in you as a human being. Some people have polluted their soul into trash. We call this a Convalescent Soul. If you have lost your spark of innocence completely, then you arent of any use to me anymore."
That answer only brought up more questions for Kybian. "So then what happens when someone isn't of any use to you anymore? What happens then?"
Malech points in the direction of the other side of the tower. "You go back to the other side of the bridge. I can't have a plethora of Convalescent Souls ruining the paradise I have given to those who have earned it."
Kybian felt sick, he knows he is whoring himself out to The Man but the deal is just too sweet. He thinks to himself, "It's best not to ask anymore questions," As his gutt screams at him to forget all about this.
Malechs corporation had paid kybian a kings ransom for this deal. It was enough to retire on. He even plans on making a ludicrous withdrawal just so he can make love to his wife on top of it. He isn't about to make the mistake of asking one question too many.
"Oh you have already done that friend." Malech tells him with a leer of malice.
"Did I say that out loud?" Kybian thinks to himself as he begins to sweat.
"You didnt have to." Malech answers in thought, "Do you know what Malice really means Kybian?" He inquires with sadistically focused eyes.
It means the enjoyment of cruelty, in the intention to harm. Kybians insides feel bleached, he was so taken aback that his mental vocabulary was summoning words from his childhood like "el cucuy" and "bruho."

"Oh, you aren't that lucky my friend." Malech smiles between the shadows dancing on his face. Kybian realizes that he has been walking with this man and they were no longer on the platform.
"D-d-d-do we still have b-b-business Mr. Mucca?" He stutters at last.
"You got that right." Malech grabs Kybians head and smashes it vehemently into a nearby steel support beam.
Kybian panicks, His first instinct was to fight back. As he balls up his fists, the initial ring of steel ricochets through his head. Malech was too fast for the young mans reaction time. Malech kicks his feet out from beneath him and smashes his face into the girder. Malechs head nods with every forceful gong as the life Kybian has taken for granted flashes before his very eyes. Blood spills every where as Malech pictures champagne, with a smile. when the last breath of life spills out with the rest of his blood Malech tosses the young mans head to the concrete and cheers.
"I christen thee, Intrepid tower!" He laughs to himself and then in seeing the irony, throws himself into a manical laughing fit.
The eyes of the young man gaze openly into the nothing of distance between this life and the next.
"The real irony," Malech giggles "is now that this trash soul has lost its innocence; it will have to go back to the world it hates."
All carbon based life is merely a preposition to Malech. "Humans were just another it or they, He refuses to acknowledge them as anything remotely close to equal to himself."
Stepping over the body, the steel toe point of his boot grazes the corpse of the once living kybian. With a smile Malech wipes his shoe on the dead man's face, hits speed dial on his phone and waits for an answer.
"Yes, Tadly?.. Send a helicopter to the tower...Yes Ill be waiting on top.. I dont care! ......what?..... You think Im wasting my talent?! And I suppose youd have me summon some giant birds like some k-mart f*****g Gandolf??? F**k you. I'll be waiting on the roof."


© 2018 Jessica


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

89 Views
Added on June 22, 2018
Last Updated on June 22, 2018
Tags: Texas, beginning, Galveston, Selena, Houston, construction, death, Mexico, migrant worker


Author

Jessica
Jessica

TX



About
I and my Co-arthur write hypothetical non fiction. I've been told our work is dark but new age. more..

Writing
Preface Preface

A Chapter by Jessica