The buzzing american dream bee

The buzzing american dream bee

A Poem by Daniel Eckert
"

A poem I wrote thanks to an exercise from my poetry professor.

"

“Woe is me”
says the buzzing bumble bee
working nonstop so he can feed his family
Wakes up early, suit and tie
“Hey honey, look at the time!”
“gotta go” he replies
“not even a kiss goodbye?”
His kids now awake, wonder, “where is father bee?”
“Off to work with no goodbye,” the mother cries
“Woe is me”
Says the buzzing bumble bee’s family

© 2012 Daniel Eckert


Author's Note

Daniel Eckert
Other than a college introduction to writing poetry class I have no experience in poetry. I dusted off my poetry book from a few semesters back and did one of it's exercises; this is what the exercise yielded.

Please critique it as harshly as you see fit.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the down-to-earth tone in your writing. This may be a strange suggestion, but you should consider submitting something to the NYTimes Modern Love column. I was skeptical when my friend sent me a story from a column titled "Modern Love", as I expected a bunch of corny chick lit (for the record, I'm a girl) but I've read some really great pieces and your writing about relationships and family reminds me of something I might find there.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

I have been scouring the net for somewhere that takes submissions like that. Thank you for telling m.. read more



Reviews

A fine lesson in priorities. I must admit I was raised with the very "German" idea that work is a sacred blessing. Even king Solomon concludes all is vanity, but that a man has only his work to leave behind as his footprint.
I think the best part about being human is we do not have to live unilaterally. We can learn from the bee, the dog, the sloth, the birds, and all of creation. We do not have to be slaves of conditioned responses.
This subject could not be explored completely in a dissertation, but your poem is excellent fuel for thought!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

10 Years Ago

That German way of thinking scares me! I am way too much of a free spirit, a wanderer, a nomad, to .. read more
 David Scott

10 Years Ago

Ha. I agree. Of course the Germans are historically wanderers too...
Thankfully, I can see bey.. read more
Wow, kimmer gave you a spanking on this one, ha ha! I actually like it; it illustrates an all-too-common problem with the American dream, which is that the pursuit of it is not all that enjoyable. And what's the point of a dream if it doesn't make your life richer and more meaningful in some way?

Posted 10 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

10 Years Ago

She did, didn't she? Probably the reason I stepped away from writing the last few months.
<.. read more
J_Star

10 Years Ago

Ah, don't let her scare you away. Her bark's worse than her bite. (you reading this kimmer? ha ha!)
Very subtle way to address the idea of a family facing the reality of trying to attain the "american dream".

Posted 11 Years Ago


:') very very nice. You have no idea how sometimes small words in a simple tone can affect a person.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

The little things is what makes the world go round. :-D

Thank you again for taking the.. read more
I think you have a great light comic touch. The poem is enjoyable to read and I think would also be be a very good performance piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

Thank you I was envisioning a little cartoon bee as I wrote this. :-D I appreciate you taking the .. read more
Oh wow...see...this is why I am so grateful I never went to school to "learn" how to write *laugh*

Seriously, though, the concept is spot-on...busy bees, no time for family, woe is me...great stuff. The execution is probably text book perfect, which is probably why I'm not 100% in love with it ;-) A small piece of advice from a self-taught writer? Write from the gut, write from the heart, write from the f*****g dick if that's what it takes, but please...I am begging you...please (on my knees here) never ever write from a text book exercise again *laugh* Too much head in it (and not the good kind *winkwink*) Too much thinking, "Is this right?" Just...write, dude. Just f*****g write.

Too harsh? *laugh* Nah...just harsh enough ;-)
-kimmer



Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

"Just...write, dude. Just f*****g write."

The way this is spaced I can see you, (maybe .. read more
KAOlmsted

11 Years Ago

HA! :-D Thanks for not blocking me ;-)

Yeah, I learned poetry *coughcough* years ago, b.. read more
Nice poem. Liked you writing style

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read and review it. Compliments on my writing style from a poet wi.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
~ wow... i wish i could write powerful social commentary as effortlessly as you do... ~ though i'm from a different nation, it's much the same here... the urban middle class is in a spin... family life is getting axed... at some level, i think we don't choose the pursuit of excellence in human relationships...we (as a society not individually) choose materialism...but this is just my perspective...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

We do chose materialism. Have you read Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Alborn? It is an extraordinar.. read more
I like the down-to-earth tone in your writing. This may be a strange suggestion, but you should consider submitting something to the NYTimes Modern Love column. I was skeptical when my friend sent me a story from a column titled "Modern Love", as I expected a bunch of corny chick lit (for the record, I'm a girl) but I've read some really great pieces and your writing about relationships and family reminds me of something I might find there.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Daniel Eckert

11 Years Ago

I have been scouring the net for somewhere that takes submissions like that. Thank you for telling m.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

358 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Poems, over working, american dream

Author

Daniel Eckert
Daniel Eckert

Reno, NV



About
I am college student... well kind of. I am 15 credits, give or take a few, from a BS in computer science engineering. In a meeting with a professor he told me, "Your code is very eloquent, but your .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..