Part 6

Part 6

A Chapter by Alex Avery

Part 6
After the vision, a name kept tugging at my attention; "Blasted Heath". It lingered, so I decided to devote some time to the research of it. The name "blasted heath" itself seemed very odd and theatrical, and I had wondered how it had come to my attention. Upon further research, I found it to be located about 50 miles west of Boston. Without telling Alice, I stole off in the night to investigate it myself.
When I arrived at the place, all questions regarding the name disappeared. It was morning, but shadows always lurked there. The trees grew too thickly, and their trunks were too big for any healthy new England wood. There was too much silence in the dim alleys between them, and the ground was too soft with the dank moss and mattings of infinite years of decay.
In the open spaces, there were husks of what used to be farmhouses, but now have ceased to be anything but a foreshadow of the things closer to the center. Everything was a haze of restlessness and oppression. A touch of the unreal and the grotesque, as if some vital element of perspective or chiaroscuro was awry. I wondered how anyone was able to stay, for this wasn't a place to sleep in. But even this wasn't so bad as the blasted heath itself.
I knew it the moment I came upon it at the bottom of a spacious valley, for no other name could fit such a thing, or any other thing fit such a name. It was as if a poet had coined the phrase from having seen this one particular region. It must have been the result of a fire, yet nothing ever grew from the over five acres of gray desolation that sprawled open to the sky, like a great spot eaten by acid, marring the countryside. I cautiously approached the center of the blasted heath, and I nearly walked into a gaping crack in the earth, hidden by the blanketing ash that never seemed to be blown away. I backed up, laughing nervously, and I saw the silhouette of tree branches against the rising sun. It appeared as if they were in a gale, yet there wasn't a breeze to be felt. As I stood there, I could almost hear an odd whispering coming from the maw of the crack. It was in a language totally foreign to me. It sounded something like "Yogg-Courtouth... Isnian macht iggloun Mourgiat." I slowly backed away from the crack, and only then did I notice how late it had gotten. What I had thought was the rising sun was actually the setting sun. I turned to leave, but I was stopped by an odd force, almost as if there was an invisible force field around this area that traps people inside of it. I pulled out my cell phone and called Alice to tell her where I was, but to my surprise, she knew, and was staying at an inn in the nearby town. "I'll be there soon. I promise." I told her, and I pushed against the field as hard as I could. I heard a shattering sound and I fell forwards and crash onto the ground. I looked around and coughed, clearing my lungs of the noxious ash that permeated the area.




© 2014 Alex Avery


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing writing and one of my favorites! Keep it up :-D

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Without telling Alice, I stole off in the night to investigate it myself.
ME: OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! *o* ....he could at least bring a camera, this is some serious paranormal activity gold right there!

Everything was a haze of restlessness and oppression
ME: I'm ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooout! *takes car and drives off*

It sounded something like "Yogg-Courtouth... Isnian macht iggloun Mourgiat."
ME: HA! This is what I think its means "Yoga Courthouse... Insane match igloo...Muggles?"

I told her, and i pushed against the field as hard as i could. I heard a shattering sound and i fell forwards.
ME: Damn.......

I just noticed, how awesome Alice is. Like girl if it was any other chick I knew they would have been like uhm okay you want this weird a*s book, here take it. Yeah stay at my house. other bed though or in the couch...not my bed. or be my gf.....we just met dude......and come with me to the city...i just met you! speaking in tongues.....boy you better starts coming with me to church before them demons drag you to hell..telling you JESUS! disappears....we're did he go???

well that's how i honestly would see other girls that i know react XD plus me too for some of it. :P Great job man im really enjoying it.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alex Avery

10 Years Ago

hey thanks. i try to write like HP Lovecraft. try reading his stuff sometime ;P
Jamie Cook

10 Years Ago

thats cool :D
send me a read request me the next parts, and i love the transition in this basically i love
it

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Alex Avery

10 Years Ago

any suggestions?
deaths calling

10 Years Ago

none that i can think of
This is excellent and keeps you suspended page to page with a mystery and surprise around every corner. So far it's great! Read request me the next parts once they're written and thankyou for writing ^^

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 7, 2013
Last Updated on February 7, 2014


Author

Alex Avery
Alex Avery

Lincoln, ME



About
Hey, I'm Alex. Welcome to my world of the macabre and grotesque. I write likeH. P. LovecraftI Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing! more..

Writing
Part 1 Part 1

A Chapter by Alex Avery


Part 2 Part 2

A Chapter by Alex Avery


Part 3 Part 3

A Chapter by Alex Avery