Just My Luck: The Pocket Watch

Just My Luck: The Pocket Watch

A Story by Diasha

"He's going to kill me" I say out loud all too soon.

"Who?" he asked. Hos is it that every time I DON'T WANT TO SEE YOU, you're amazingly there. Way to go Jared, way to make these moments worse.

"NO ONE!" I lie. He scans my face before he responds.

"Sure. . ." the little twinkle in his eyes tells me he knows.

"I-I have to go! I'll-um. . . BE LATE! BYE!" I speed away before he has the chance to say a word.

"That was close," I breathe a sigh of relief. Too close.

When I enter the house the scattered crayons I stumbled over were the last of my worries. He's going to kill me for sure now! HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO CARELESS?! It suddenly dawned on me how empty the house was. Where is everyone? It's always buzzing with people in here and my brothers are always fighting about something. So why is it so quiet? This spooked me a little.


"HELLO!?!" no answer. Panicking, I once again trip over the crayons, but this time I face-plant into the laundry basket. Of course this would happen to me. The disgusting clothes had to be the thing to cushion MY landing. I begin to pick up the dirty clothes now lying on the floor: gym clothes, the Sunday best clothes (which are only worn for weddings), muddy T-shirts, and socks. Weird, I don't remember them owning any fuzzy socks.
Bringing the socks closer to my face I let out a shriek.


"THOSE AREN'T SOCKS!!!" Once again, just my luck. This entire place is repulsive, but no way was I going to clean this entire room let alone the house. This is just a house, not a home and pretty soon  it'll be another place of the past. I won't have to worry about stupid fake socks.


My family sue to be different. There was time to go on picnics and to the beach. We'd always laugh and joke together. Sitting by the window I almost saw it, our precious little memories.  Dad. . . Wed miss you. A small tear falls from my eyes. 7 years can really change a family. We used to watch the stars at night while he'd point to the different constellations. one night he was telling us the stories of each star, and I  saw it: a shooting star. But those don't work, my wish was wasted. I know that now. Like I say "Just my luck". I found the one broken shooting star in the world.


Singing a melody with forgotten lyrics, I calmed my shattered soul. The moment only last so long before I felt my pocket. Empty.  I'm so stupid! Running out of the house screaming, I carelessly ran into a man.


"I'm so sorry mister" I sob.


"What's wrong little lady?" Something about his voice was familiar.


"I lost something. . . " with tears still in my eyes I barely noticed the very thing he held up was what I was missing.


"I found this on my way home" he said holding it out to me. He then wiped the tears away from my eyes. My heart stopped. I stood dumbfounded for a moment before wrapping my arms around him. The small object fell from his hand, but I didn't care.


"I missed you so much" I begin to cry unconditionally.

"I'm home" a small tear fell from his eyes and I knew it was true.


We walked away, but the small object, that pocket watch, stayed. I didn't need a reminder of my father anymore. He was home. Yes' this place is finally my home. Maybe it was just my luck to find a star that waited to grant my wish.

Home. I wish for a home. That childish wish finally made its way to me.
 

© 2013 Diasha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree, rather interesting, though, it did get a little confusing in the beginning because of the font changes. Overall, well done. Love the ending. :D

Posted 10 Years Ago


Interesting...and not in a bad way.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013

Author

Diasha
Diasha

Candyland, Just around the corner of Cookie Relm



About
I don't like describing myself >~< but I guess I'd say I have a huge kid complex, still working on my awkwardness, creative, love music. If that helps any :[] 3 i can't live without: cookies frien.. more..

Writing
The Voice The Voice

A Poem by Diasha


The Return The Return

A Poem by Diasha


The Wish The Wish

A Chapter by Diasha