Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by JLarsino

Chapter 2

I woke with a start, wondering why my blanket was so soft and pink. It only took a second to remember. I looked over at Daisy’s bed, where she still lay sound asleep. Now what? I wondered as I turned over in bed. Tyler was making me stay another night for Daisy’s sake. What was I supposed to do here another day? Watch them practice poses? My throat felt dry and I realized I hadn’t had anything to drink since three o’clock yesterday afternoon, right before I escaped social services. I crept out of the room and downstairs to see if I could find a glass of water. There was a small fridge in the back corner that I hadn’t taken the time to notice before. Next to it was a small shelf with stacks of glasses and other essentials you might find in a normal hotel room. I decided to help myself seeing as there was no one around to stop me.
“hi.” A voice came from behind me. I froze, and slowly turned to find the quiet one, Ryan, standing tiredly behind me. He crooked his eyebrow and waited for a reply.
“Oh, hi. I was just thirsty, thought you wouldn’t mind if I got a drink.” I answered timidly hoping he wasn’t anything like Tyler.
“Oh, ok, could you pour me one too?” I nodded and handed him the one I just filled. He smiled and walked over to the couch and sat down, dangling his legs over the armrest. Once I had filled one for myself, I joined him on the other couch. We were both silent for a while, both of us quietly gulping down our water. When he finished he set his glass on the table in front of him and turned to me.
“I’m, uhh, Ryan, by the way.” He smiled shyly.
“Yeah, we never officially met. It was kind of crazy yesterday.” I replied with a nod. He seemed polite, maybe he was more like Todd.
“Cassandra’s not usually like that, you know.”
“Really?” I asked into my glass. I couldn’t really imagine her any other way.
“Yeah, she umm. she just gets jealous easily. Please don’t tell her I told you that.”
“Jealous? Of what? Was I right about her and Todd?” Ryan burst out laughing, it seemed to be a pretty popular joke of mine now.
“No, not at all. That wont ever happen. No, it’s more of a territorial thing. She doesn’t like outsiders. She’s been a model the longest.” He stared down into his glass, not making eye contact.
“When did she start?”
“Maybe, three years old.” My eyes widened in horror, no wonder she seemed like such a brat. She’d been praised since she was tiny, think of what that would do to a child.
“What about you and the others?” I asked, hoping the other answers wouldn’t be as shocking.
“I started four years ago. I’m the newbie, actually. Tyler started when he was eight, Daisy was ten and Todd was off and on for a while.”
“Wow... So, why do you all travel together?”
“Well, we all work for the same company, L.T.S, ever heard of it?” My mom and I used to go there for christmas shopping, it was a pretty famous branch. They sold everything, from clothes, to sports equipment, to assorted appliances.
“Yeah, I’ve been there a few times. I used to play in the toy section while my mom shopped.” I sighed, recalling the faint memory.
“We’re all part of the same modelling group.”
“Well, look who’s awake.” Todd said, striding into the room. He plopped down on the couch next to Ryan. “So you’re an early riser too, Charlie?” He asked, curiously.

“Not normally,” I shook my head weakly. I usually slept in and waited for my mom to push me out of bed. I guess sleeping in a strange place made me uncomfortable.

“hmm, well I heard Tyler said you’re staying another night?” I rolled my eyes.

“Apparently so..” I decided to skip the explanation of how it happened.

“Great then you can come to the photo shoot.” Todd smiled smugly.

“What?! You mean there’s an actual photo shoot today.”

“yeah, did you think I was lying?” He replied. How was I gonna get out of this one. I could say I didn’t want to risk leaving because people would be looking for me, but he’d just make up some excuse saying they’d hide me. I shrugged, I guess sitting in on a model’s photo shoot wouldn’t be too terrible. I’d just have to watch them make stupid poses all afternoon. Delightful.


“Okay, it’s on the second floor, I think..” Todd called to the group. I had been hiding in Daisy’s room most of the morning and didn’t really feel like leaving. Daisy came running through the door out of breath.

“Come on, come on!” She shrieked excitedly. I slowly stood, wearing my clothes from yesterday. “You can’t wear that.” She walked towards me in her sparkly shirt and skirt. A necklace hung loosely around her neck and she wore high heeled boots coming up to her knees. Her hair was down flowing smoothly around her face and neck. She walked over to her closet again and brought out another skirt, shirt, and jacket.

“No, please, can’t I wear jeans?” I begged, she stared at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was. But she went back to her closet and brought out a pair of dark skinny jeans.

“Thankyou,” I sighed, she smiled from ear to ear, I guess she was glad to have pleased my odd sense of fashion. It was quite the accomplishment.

“Hurry up and change! We’re leaving in three minutes!” I walked over to the bathroom and did a very quick change. The jeans fit well, they were a little more snug than I was used to but I couldn’t really complain. The shirt was fine. The sleeves were a bit frilly but other than that I liked it. I pulled the coat on top, unsure of why I needed it. We weren’t leaving the building and it wasn’t even that cold outside. I folded the sleeves to my elbows and pulled the collar down. The jacket only went to my waist so it was more of an accessory. I pulled my hair up in the same ponytail and stared at my reflection. It didn’t look too bad.

“Are you done? We’re gonna leave!” Daisy called through the door and knocked a few times. I went to open the door. She gasped when she saw me.

“You look so cute!” She pressed her hands to her cheeks and grinned. I had to smile too. Even with her odd ways, she made me happy. Like I belonged.. Sorta.

“Lets go!” A deeper voice called from below. I assumed it was Tyler. Daisy grabbed my hand and ushered me out of the room and down the stairs. I was hoping they wouldn’t notice my change in appearance, but they were models. Todd was staring and I noticed Cassandra’s eyes looking in my direction.

“What?” I asked. I didn’t want an answer, I just wanted them to stop staring.

“It suits you.” Todd smiled and gently pushed my shoulder towards the door. We all got in the small elevator. It wasn’t a tight fit but I didn’t feel too comfortable. Ryan pressed the button for the second floor and we went down in silence. I coughed once and Tyler stared at me like I had just made a terrible mistake. I ignored him. The doors opened and I followed the group down a fancy hall and into a large double door room. white walls were set up all over the sides of the room. Cameras were facing each one. I saw a table and mirrors in another corner piled with cosmetics. There were racks and racks of clothes next to two wooden doors. Another corner had a plush velvet red couch.

“You can sit over there.” Cassandra pointed snootily towards the couch.

“Okay, cool.” I replied. I was just happy I didn’t have to do anything. Watching was the easiest job you could give someone. Cassandra and Ryan went to the rack of clothes first. An assistant handed them their clothes they were supposed to model. They went into the two wooden doors and appeared moments later. Ryan was wearing a very neat tux with a black tie. The assistant pulled him over to the table where they began doing strange things to his hair. Cassandra was wearing a long sparkly dress with a slit running down the side. It was very elegant and she looked three years older. The assistant grabbed her too and people began to cake makeup on her face. Tyler and Daisy got their clothes next. Tyler had on a black v-neck long-sleeved shirt. On top he wore a natural green colored vest with four pockets in front. It looked like the sleeves had been ripped off it because loose string dangled from the ends. He still had that natural “I’m better than you.” look on his face. He wore dark jeans and black tennis shoes. Daisy was supposed to match him I guess because she came out wearing a black tank top with a green half jacket and hoodie. Her jean miniskirt didn’t look too scandalous only because of the black leggings she wore underneath. She had cute little boots with laces that went past her ankle. Todd was the last to come out. He had a red and silver sports jacket and dark pants. A pair of sunglasses dangled from his white t-shirt. By the time Todd was getting his hair done, Cassandra and Ryan had finished. They were taken to one of the white screens and the photographer told them what to do. Cassandra looked beautiful with her long wavy hair done just perfectly by professionals. Ryan looked incredibly handsome with his styled hair and tuxedo. The poses they had to do, on the other hand, were really strange. Cassandra clung onto him like she would die if he let her go. Ryan smiled sheepishly at the camera holding onto Cassandra’s waist. It made me curious as to how they all stayed ‘just friends’. It didn’t look that way to me.

I leaned back on the velvet as Tyler and Daisy made their way to the stage. Tyler had to do poses on his own first. First crossing his arms, then hands on hips, then his hand running through his hair. Daisy did different poses on her own too. When they were both done, Daisy was told to head over to Tyler. They made Tyler sit on the ground with one elbow on his knee and one leg extended in front of him. Then it got awkward, or at least to me it looked awkward. The cameraman told Daisy to lie her head on his lap. It was completely normal for them I guess. She had no trouble curling into a ball on the white floor and resting her head on his lap. If I didn’t know what kind of person Tyler was, I’d say the picture was really cute.

Now it was Todd’s turn. His hair had been spiked up into a very cool hairdo. He sauntered over to the last white wall available and the cameraman began snapping photos. After a few minutes he came over to Todd. I couldn’t make out what they were talking about but Todd kept glancing at me. Uhoh.. I thought. I looked back at Cassandra and Ryan to avoid his gaze. It was no use. A moment later, Todd was beside me.

“Want to be a model for the day?” He asked, but he wasn’t smiling. Was that a rhetorical question? What did he think I’d say.

“Umm, thats ok. I think I’ll pass.”

“Come on, they need another girl and the camera guy says you’re perfect.” On what planet?

“No, I’m fine.”
“They’ll pay you.”

“No thanks.”

“You don’t need the money?” He asked in disbelief.

“I’ll make it some other way. Any other way.”

“It’s three hundred dollars.”

“Are you serious!?” His smile was enough of an answer. I groaned, with that much money, I’d be stupid not to say no.. Right? It was just a few photos. “What would I have to do? Because I’m not wearing anything scandalous or showy and I’m not doing strange poses or anything weird like that.”

“Calm down.” He put his arm around my shoulders and guided me over to the rack of clothing. “You’ll do fine.” The assistant lady looked me up and down. I couldn’t tell what she was thinking but she handed me a plain white t-shirt and jeans. It fit fine and the shirt was actually loose and quite comfy. When I came out of the little stall the other assistant grabbed me and started putting concealer and foundation all over my face. Another woman let down my hair and started straightening it. I felt like a doll for them to play with. When they were finally finished they pushed me into the white area with Todd. I crossed my arms, self-conscious in front of the camera.

“That looks great, now put your arms around each other and lets see you walk.” Todd slid his arm across my shoulders and I, awkwardly, placed my arm around him.

“Relax, Charlie.” He whispered in my ear. We began walking across the white while the cameraman snapped photos. So far so easy. I just hoped it stayed that way.

“Okay, good, now Todd, put your sunglasses on. Can we get a pair for the lady?” The guy asked one of the assistants. She handed me a pair and I slipped them on over my eyes. It was a nice break from the bright lights. “Can we get that motorcycle in here?” They had a motorcycle? What were they going to do with a motorcycle? A minute later, they brought in a large red one and wheeled it over to the middle of the shoot. “Hop on.” The cameraman smiled proudly. He must’ve been the one to think of it. Todd wasted no time. He hopped on the front and grabbed the handle bars. He motioned for me to follow. I swung my leg over the back and clutched onto the back.

“Come on, we can be a little more cozy than that.” The cameraman laughed.

“What does he want me to do?” I whispered to Todd. He shook his head and smiled.

“Put your arms around me.”

“Is that really necessary?”

“Yes.” Todd laughed softly.

“Good, hold that smile!” The camera guy ordered, hesitantly, I put my arms around his waist and leaned my head against his back like I’d seen in those romance movies. The ones where the girl’s all clingy and so in love it makes her silly. I’m sure I made a very stupid face when he snapped the photo.

“Perfect, I’m loving this look.” I made sure he couldn’t see me when I rolled my eyes. I had to turn away to do that so I noticed Tyler staring at me. He looked like he was plotting my murder right in the middle of the shoot. I think Daisy was about to get on his back even. Still, he kept glaring.

“Can we get a wind blower over here?” The cameraman called. I snapped back to attention. A wind blower? One of the assistants brought over a large fan and placed it in front of Todd and I. When she turned it on, my hair went everywhere. It whipped in my face and flowed back behind me. Todd’s hairstyle was completely ruined too. He just laughed as the guy kept snapping photos. I decided I had better smile too, even with my arms still wrapped around his waist. Todd had a way about him that just made people feel comfortable. Maybe it was his confidence, or the way he made people feel accepted. Then again, it might’ve just been his laugh.


“Tired?” Todd asked, walking up to me in swim shorts and white button down shirt.

“A little.” I nodded, pressing my elbows into my knees.

“Well, we’re done for the day. Photo shoots just about finished.”

“Those pictures. The ones I was in. They’re not gonna be blown up on some billboard or poster right?”

“Naw,” He sat down beside me. “they won't, they would need your consent, and your parent’s..” He trailed off, probably unsure how to finish the sentence.

“Yeah, I just don’t want Social Services to see it.”

“They won't.” The velvet couch felt smaller all of a sudden, Todd was taking up most of it. I let my eyes drift off around the room. Cassandra and Tyler were modeling formal wear by posing different dance moves. Ryan was done and Daisy was jumping around modeling teen clothes in front of the camera. She was always happy.

“So I’m not the newbie anymore?” Ryan walked over to us, smiling. He sat down cross-legged beside me.

“No you still are, I’m just the temp.” I chuckled at the idea. Me, Charlie, a model. My friends at school would’ve laughed till’ their sides ached. My old school. I guess it wasn’t my school anymore, now that no one could pay for me to go there. How was I going to finish high school? I couldn’t be on the run for the next two years of my life.

“Oh, So you're uhh, not joining our... Odd mix?”

“No, sorry.” I must have imagined the disappointment on Ryan’s face because I couldn’t understand why he’d be sad to see me leave. I was a stranger.

“It would be fun.” Todd nudged me in the side. “life would be easy and whole lot less complicated.” I turned to face him.

“I doubt that, with tweedle dum and tweedle dee over here. They’d make sure my life stayed miserable.” I nodded my head towards Tyler and Cassandra. Todd looked stumped without a reply.

“We’d fix that.” Todd reassured me. “Daisy would be happy if you stayed.”

“She’s always happy.” I retorted.

“So, basically, you’d rather run away from these Social Service people for the next two years of your life, searching for food, places to sleep, and staying off the radar instead of living with a bunch of, mostly, friendly models?” Todd gave a wry smile as if he’d won.

With three-hundred dollars in my pocket and other friendly models in the world.” I laughed, proud of my comeback, but Todd didn’t look too happy. I guess the ‘other friendly models’ part was a bit insensitive. It was like saying their helping me was expected and all part of my plan. It wasn’t. But it still sounded bad.

“Sorry, I-” Todd shook his head and stood up.

“come on,” he said, not meeting my eyes. He held his hand out for me to grab. He pulled me to my feet as Daisy came over.

“I knew you could be a model! You were perfect! Come on, lets go upstairs and I’ll teach you some poses.” She grabbed my hand and dragged me down the hall to the elevator. We went up by ourselves which I was thankful for. I had just upset Ryan and Todd, and Cassandra and Tyler already hated me. I didn’t really want to be squished in a small room with them.

“Daisy?”

“Yeah?”

“Umm. I have to tell you something.”

“okay.”

“I’m not going to be a model. That was just a temporary thing. I’m not staying, I’ll be leaving tomorrow.” Even as I said the words, I felt a lump forming in my throat making it harder to speak.

“But, Why?” Her big eyes looked wider than ever.

“I.. Have to.. Make it on my own.” I actually didn’t know the reason I had to leave. I was scared of them. I certainly didn’t want to become them, but somehow I was beginning to get attached to them. They were weird. Had weird jobs. Had a very weird lifestyle. But I liked them.

“I don’t understand.” Daisy shook her head. “I thought you liked being with us?”

“I do! I do.. It’s just that.. I’m not sure.. I can’t just.” The elevator doors opened to the familiar terrace. “I can’t let you take care of me.” there I said it. Maybe Todd should’ve been there to hear it. He would’ve understood, maybe. Daisy, however, began to cry.

“You don’t like me!” I looked down at her, realizing what a huge mistake I had just made. I was surprised to see Daisy crying like a grown woman might. I expected her to seem even younger.

“No, no that's not it.” Daisy ran for the door to their little penthouse. I quickly followed behind. She collapsed on the couch and hugged a pillow. “Daisy, I like you! You’re so sweet to me. You take really good care of me.” I sat down beside her, trying to see if I could make her understand. “I just want to take care of myself. Be a grownup and have some responsibility. If I stay with you guys I’ll just be a burden you have to drag along with you wherever you go. That wouldn’t be fun for anyone.”

“You wouldn’t be a burden!” She protested. Just then, the door opened and the four remaining models stood in the doorway. Perfect timing, I thought to myself. Innocent, lovable Daisy is crying on the couch next to yours truly, looking more guilty than ever.

“What’s going on?” Tyler’s voice tightened as he pushed past Todd. He came and sat next to Daisy and removed the pillow from her lap. He pulled her head, gently, onto his chest and brushed the hair out of her face. “What happened?” He asked more calmly. I stood and took a step back, feeling a little out of place. Todd took my seat and grabbed Daisy’s hand. Daisy let out a long breath.

“nothing..” She replied and of course no one believed her.

“Daisy, why are you crying?” Todd asked.

“I thought Charlie didn’t like me.” Here we go, “but then she said that wasn’t true. She said she didn’t want to be a burden to the group, and thats why she has to leave.” Daisy cleared her throat and wiped away her tears. She pulled away from Tyler and looked up at me.

“Charlie, you’re not a burden. You can stay and work on your own. You would be safe with us.” Everyone stared at me, waiting to hear what I had to say. Tyler was glaring. Cassandra was rolling her eyes. Todd’s expression was impossible to read, and Ryan just looked curious.

“I.. uhh.” I studied Daisy’s innocent eyes. “I don’t know what to say.”

“Daisy, dear.” Cassandra spoke up, “Charlie will be a burden to the rest of us if she stays. It’s fun right now but later you won't find her being with us that exciting.” She had a point. Still, daisy frowned.

“I don’t care. It’s what’s best for her.” And for once, Daisy sounded like she knew what she was talking about.

“How about this.” Todd spoke next. “We’re going to California a week from today. You could come with us and then leave. Social Services would never chase you that far, would they?” It seemed like an okay plan. Everyone would be happy. I’d get a free ride and the others would only have to put up with me for another week, then they’d be done with me for good.

“Yes! Oh please!” Daisy asked.

“Umm.”

“No way.” Cassandra glared, “She is not going with us to California. Not a chance.”

“Cassi,” Ryan looked up at her.

“Don’t call me Cassi!”

“It’s just a week.” She rolled her eyes.

“A week it is.” Todd announced. Before anyone could protest, “and I think we should order dinner, what do you guys want?”


Dinner was awkward. I kept my mouth shut afraid anything I said would be held against me later. Daisy rambled on about me, the shoot, and something about ponies. I wasn’t really paying attention. I was more absorbed in that fact that I was going to be hanging out with a bunch of models for another week and eventually end up in California where the social services would never find me. I was a little concerned about any parental consent for traveling across the continent, but I’d figure it out when the time came. Part of me wondered if I would ever leave this band of airheads. Maybe when I got to California, something would come up and I’d have to stay with them for another week or more until I became one of them.. the thought gave me chills. Running across the globe partying, living the life, and having to do photo shoots every week for silly commercials. Yep, sounded like a great plan. That was sarcasm if you couldn’t tell.. I had so much more planned. I was going to have a normal life, maybe raise a family, have a normal, stable, job and be myself.

“Pass the salad, Charlie?” Todd asked. I handed him the bowl without meeting his eyes. I was a little annoyed he had come up with this whole plan and hadn’t even thought to ask me about it first. I couldn’t have said no with Daisy there. Then again I suppose it was for the best and I should be thankful for getting the chance to put off my worry for another week. Even if the week turned out to be horrible.

“So, what are you going to do when you get to California?” Cassandra asked, maybe trying to scare me into backing down.

“Umm, I don’t know, finish school? Get a job.” I stuffed more salad in my face and hoped the conversation would be directed to someone else.

“Do you have money for school?”

“Umm, no but I have 3 hundred dollars that your boss is giving me.” Maybe I was trying to rub it in a little. Cassandra pursed her lips in distaste.

“Yeah, I’m sure that will last long.” She calmly sipped her water.

“Cassandra, just leave her alone.” Ryan said. He was probably one of the most patient guys I’ve met. Never raising his voice, or getting angry fast.

“Yeah, she’s going no matter what you say. I know you’re just trying to scare her but it’s not gonna work, right Charlie?” Daisy turned to me for back up.

“Right.” I said, matching Daisy’s enthusiasm. Cassandra scowled and turned back to her carrots. After a short pause I decided to turn the conversation. “Umm, what are you guys going to do until California?”

“Have fun!” Daisy cheered, setting her plate down on the table. “There’s a pool, and a fitness center, and OH! The spa! You’ll love it!” what makes you so sure? “There’s a tennis court and..”

“Okay, Daisy, she gets the idea.” Tyler mumbled. He hadn’t said much since the new plan unfolded. Maybe he couldn’t say anything with Daisy right there listening. One thing I knew was that I’d never want to be alone with this guy.

“We have another photo shoot on Wednesday, and a commercial shoot on Friday.” Cassandra leaned back on her chair. I think out of everyone there she knew me best. She knew what I didn’t like, she knew how to scare me, and she knew I couldn’t stand the thought of becoming a model. The others couldn’t seem to understand that. I nodded in reply, knowing that I’d be stuck in this building for another week. It made me feel slightly anxious knowing that my house was only a mile away along with all the dreaded memories.

“well, I’ll call Mac to get the dishes.” Todd sighed, getting up from his seat. Cassandra stocked off upstairs, swinging her hips. Daisy pranced upstairs, later, without me for the first time. I wasn’t sure whether to follow her, or sit tight and get eaten alive. I decided to go after her.

“Charlotte.” the name sent shivers down my spine. Only my mother called me that. “Can I talk to you for a second?” Tyler eyed me carefully, still frowning.

“Do I have an option?”

“Not really.” he glanced at Ryan, who shortly got up and walked to his room. I wish he hadn’t. I tried to tell him with the best “help” expression I could give, but he only shrugged and shut the door.

“You’re not a model, stop pretending.”

“What?”

“You can’t just act like you’re one of us, you’re not.” He glared, I returned the favor.

“You think I want this? Believe me, becoming a model is the last thing on my list.”

“good, then it won’t be hard for you to say goodbye, because as soon as we land in California, it’s goodbye.”

“What’s your problem? Scared I’ll overshadow you? Maybe you need your eyes checked.” I crossed my arms, even though I just insulted myself. I wanted him to know I didn’t care.

“My problem is: I don’t know you. And I don’t like strangers taking advantage of us.” I tried not to gape. I just stared, finally beginning to understand why he was so uptight about everything, and so protective of Daisy. Maybe this had happened to them before. Someone had come in and used them to get rich and famous, only to leave them behind. It explained why Tyler was so hostile. I was quiet for a long time, unsure of what to say. Tyler looked away, maybe thinking he’d told me more than he meant to. I finally stood.

“I’ll be out of your hair a week from today.” I silently walked towards the stairs, dismissing myself from the conversation, and headed to Daisy’s room. I was wrong about Tyler, he wasn’t a paranoid, selfish bully. He was just protecting his friends. He obviously had some bitter feelings towards someone.

“Want to watch a movie?” Daisy asked, opening the door once I knocked.

“Sure, why not?”



© 2012 JLarsino


Author's Note

JLarsino
This one's a little rough...

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's not that rough.. :P
You're keeping me at the edge of my couch.
The characters are enjoyable and relatable.
Got a bit slow at one point, but picked back up soon.
Great job, and keep writing.
:)
~J

Posted 11 Years Ago


JLarsino

11 Years Ago

Wow, thanks that's really encouraging :D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 25, 2012
Last Updated on July 25, 2012


Author

JLarsino
JLarsino

Thailand



About
I started writing stories October 2011, since then I can't stop picturing stories in my head. I love writing and I can't help it. I also love reading good stories for inspiration. more..

Writing
Dancing Dancing

A Story by JLarsino