Chapter One: Chosen

Chapter One: Chosen

A Chapter by JLarsino

I thought my life was easy. Turns out the only way that can happen is by not existing. Here I was trapped in this plain four walled room with 19 other strangers.
I had the “honor” of being chosen to participate in The Cognition Experiment a reality TV series produced by scientists to test the intelligence of certain age groups. We were randomly chosen from all across the world every other month. My parents received a notice that I was to participate in this month’s episode. Sixteen-year-olds were the new set of candidates this month. Two months ago fifteen year olds were tested, and the time before that fourteen-year olds. Starting from age 11 and going up consecutively on to age 25 then back to eleven all over again every other month of the year. Those age groups would be put into digital console filled with puzzles. Each test subject is given 24 hours to complete the set of obstacles. That was all I knew because that was all they showed.
I was sent to Washington State once I received my notice for participation in the Cognition experiment. I was told to pack my belongings for a rough 3 to 4 days then sent on a plane alone. No companions. My parents and younger sister weren’t allowed any further than the airport. I had no choice. Once you were chosen you were expected to follow through. I wasn’t too happy about it. No one backed down because it was a matter of pride. Also, if you completed the set of puzzles within the given time frame you received an award.
I was sitting alone in a corner of the recreation hall. They sent all twenty contestants to this room to get acquainted, ten male and ten female. Contestants were allowed to group up during the course. This was their only opportunity. I scanned the room of other candidates. Only a few stuck out. There was an African boy with a sturdy build, a tall smiling redhead, and a beautiful Asian girl with dark shining eyes. I didn’t try talking to anyone. I was too worried about the course to worry about who I should pair up with. Even if you did decide to form a group, there was always the possibility of the course technicians splitting you up and then you would be worse off than if you had been on your own to start with. It’s dangerous to depend on others.
“Why are you sitting here all by yourself?” A boy with an American accent asked as he came to sit next to me. He gave me a friendly smile. He had long wavy brown hair coming down his forehead with odd ends sticking up in the back. His eyes shone almost golden in the light and twinkled suspiciously.
“I don’t do well in crowds.” I replied tugging anxiously at my shirt.
“Well my names Gabe.” He said reaching out his hand to shake mine.
“Jessenia, but call me Jessie,” I said taking his hand “Where are you from?”
“Ontario, Canada.” He smiled proudly “You?”
“Chicago.”
“Really? Then I think you and Cylas are the only ones from the same country this month.”  He pointed to a tall light blonde haired guy in shorts and long sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. I couldn’t see his face but I probably could’ve guessed he was American.
“What state?” I asked still staring at the stranger’s back.
“Would you believe, California?” Gabe asked sarcastically. It was obvious Cylas had seen plenty of the sun with his light hair and pink skin. “I’ll introduce you.”
“No, no that’s okay.” I said maybe too quickly. He gave me an exasperated smile.
“Come on,” he took my wrist and almost dragged me over to Cylas.
“Hey Cylas, this is Jessie. She is from Chicago.” Gabe said with complete confidence. It amazed me how calm and friendly he was. Tomorrow we would be in the course and he was already making friends with people he had met 10 minutes ago. Cylas turned and stared down at me with his dark blue eyes. He didn’t look like he was sixteen in fact he probably could’ve passed as an eighteen year old. He had strong attractive features and a modern hairstyle cropped so it all stuck out above his forehead.
“Hey, nice to meet you,” he said in a low cool voice. He reached out his hand to greet me and I took it.
“You too,” I smiled shyly then out of curiosity I asked “Aren’t you guys nervous?”
“Naw not really..” Gabe replied quite sure of himself. Cylas didn’t answer but looked perfectly calm.
“Do you know anyone that’s gone in?” I asked referring to one of the previous courses.
“No, except for my cousin who had a friend that went in. He came out average.” Gabe replied. Average meant he made it out of the course within the expected time frame: 24 hours.
“My brother went in...” A girl with a British accent stepped into the conversation from behind me. She had dirty blonde hair and green eyes. She was shorter than me by a few inches. “but I haven’t seen him since. He was above average. I’m Lilian by the way.” She said to the three of us. No one knew what happened to people that were above average. Most people assumed they received an exceeding education and were to become the next great scientists, a job of importance. There were other theories but that one was the most practical. The scientists were never questioned because they were right below the government in terms of power. Now that all the countries in the world had formed one alliance so everyone participated in the course. All the laws were the same and the Cognition experiment began in order to take the next step in human efficiency.
“I’m Gabe, and this is Jessie and Cylas.” Gabe explained gesturing to each of us. “I’m from Canada and these two are the only ones from the same country this month, The United States.”
“Nice to meet you, I’m from London if you couldn’t tell from my accent.” She smiled sweetly.
“How old was your brother?” I asked wondering if I could remember him from an older episode.
“He was 18 when he went in… He turned twenty 3 months ago.” She replied sadly.
“They don’t let you see him?” I asked slightly frightened. I didn’t know much about the show. I watched it a few times but didn’t pay attention to what happened afterwards when they had interviews and got their rewards.
“We got to video chat on his birthdays and Christmas.” I could feel myself grow pale. I wanted to run out of there and go home. I couldn’t stand the idea of leaving my family even if it did mean I became an accomplished scientist. There was another fear I had; that I wouldn’t be able to solve the puzzle in time. Not only does the whole world get to watch you fail but you also have to stay in the console till you can find the exit. That meant you were below average. Cylas must have noticed my expression because he added, “Hey eighty-five percent of candidates make it out fine.” I knew he was talking to me even though he was looking at all of us. The conversation diminished from there. Gabe wandered off introducing himself to everyone in his friendly way. I decided not to ask Lilian any more questions because I was too scared to hear what the answers might be.
“Want to play lunge?” Cylas asked Lilian and I. I nodded, anything to keep my mind off things. Lilian decided to join in too. The game was simple. It consisted of a large glass plate with a computer screen projected on to it. Cylas selected a new game with three players. Three red buttons appeared in front of us. In front of the buttons sat three small balls and on the other end of the glass table were three black circles. The object of the game was to press the button and blow it into the black hole. Each time you beat the level, a new hole appeared with different objects in the way.
It was a simple concept but I sucked at it. I had played it one other time in my life at my school back in Chicago. I didn’t enjoy it too much but there wasn’t much else to do here.
“Don’t hold it down constantly, try releasing it more frequently.” Cylas coached me, he put his hand on top of my fingers showing me how to use the button to push the ball into the hole. He did it within a few seconds were as I took about two minutes. I hoped there weren’t going to be any puzzles like that in the course. Lilian had little trouble with the game, apparently it was popular in England. After a few more minutes Gabe decided to come back around. He leaned against the table watching us play.
“Do you want to play, Gabe?” I asked hoping he’d take my place, I was still doing horribly.
“That’s okay, I’m good.” He said staring at the board. He didn’t say much after that. Once another ten minutes flew by, Cylas won, Lilian second and I got last.
“This is why I stopped playing this game.” I said smiling somewhat glad it was over.
“You know I think we’d make a good team.” We all turned to stare at Gabe. He was smiling but I could tell he wasn’t joking. He stood there calmly waiting for our reply.
“A team of four?” Lilian asked critically “We’ll get split up before the course begins.”
“I’d rather have four brains than just one or two.” Gabe pointed out “If we get split up than it means we were being careless and I’m not planning on that happening.” He made it sound so appealing. I had already decided not to team up but now I found myself having second thoughts. I liked these three. They already felt like friends even though we had just met twenty minutes ago. But then if I did join a group, my biggest fear would be getting split up. But would I stand a chance by myself?
“I agree with Gabe. Teams usually do the best together.” He paused, “Unless they get split.”
“Then we’ll be on our own, same as where we are now, by ourselves.” I couldn’t tell if Gabe was trying to be logical or friendly. Maybe he wanted a group to relieve the stress of the course as a sort of distraction. Or maybe he really thought he was better off with a group. A big group. I sighed delicately, not sure how I felt about the situation. I had only met these guys five to ten minutes ago.
“Well,” Lilian looked as hesitant as I felt.
“Come on, you guys were working great together on that game just now.” Gabe said, thrusting his arms out toward the glass plate. He really wanted this. Then a thought occurred to me. What if he was scared? Of course he wouldn’t want to go in on his own. But I couldn’t be sure if that was the reason. He seemed so confident and easy going.

“Okay, I’m in.” I allowed a smile to crawl up my cheeks as I said it.



© 2012 JLarsino


Author's Note

JLarsino
The beginning's pretty boring so far.. I need to work on that. Also dialogue is sketchy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
Added on July 28, 2012
Last Updated on July 28, 2012
Tags: experiment, science, knowledge, teens, course, digital, test, futuristic


Author

JLarsino
JLarsino

Thailand



About
I started writing stories October 2011, since then I can't stop picturing stories in my head. I love writing and I can't help it. I also love reading good stories for inspiration. more..

Writing
Dancing Dancing

A Story by JLarsino