Night

Night

A Story by Eliot Knight

The night has always been a subject of unearthly residence. People from all walks of life claim to have witnessed the ghastly and the gruesome in its midst. From abandoned asylums to forlorn cemeteries, the stories and eye witnesses are numerous, each one more adamant than the last in their relentless persuasion of the sceptical mind. Regardless, denial invalidates not the authenticity of the evident, rather sustains one’s need to sleep better at night.

Of all the things that go bump in the night, a much obscure entity accompanies us in the wee hours of after light. An entity so frightful, it leaves the spectator immobilized. An entity so diabolical, the devil trembles in its wake. An entity so hideous, neither man nor mirror is willing to hold its image.

What is this mysterious entity that casts fear and demands recognition?

What is this veiled entity that swallows hearts unapologetically?

Why do men of valour refuse its hospitality?

Why is it that the oppressors are oppressed and the oppressed are liberated by it?

This entity is nothing but the darkness of the human heart.

Perhaps you too want to believe it does not exist, at least not in you. No, of course not. But then again, why don’t we let the mirrors be the judge of that.

© 2016 Eliot Knight


Author's Note

Eliot Knight
Just a piece of writing. All feedback is appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The darkness of the human heart is really man's egoic mind unaware of what is important in life.

I think you tell a good story here with night as a stand-in for this unawareness.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the review and yes that's exactly it.
simply put,, love it! Very well told!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

Thanks Dan, you're reviews are always appreciated.
A very nice tale. I like the questions and the mysteries raised in the words. Men fear what they do not understand. I wouldn't recommend looking into the mirror seeking out what need not to be found. I like the complete tale and the strong ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent tale.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

Thankyou, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
An eerie depiction of what can await us once the sun has gone down, very articulate and vivid imagery, well constructed and masterfully written. A pleasure to read, thank you for the read request :~) four out of five Clap! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

^_^ thankyou so much!
Here are my thoughts. That "wee" is really out of tune with the style or the atmosphere you are trying to achieve. Also, I really expected to see something else. While I agree with what you wrote, that darkness of the human heart seems not to be dependent on the night but of people being alone. That night seems just there to achieve some eerie atmosphere, and it doesn't highlight much that darkness.
If you ask me, I would have written it in a way of realising something in the night, thus keeping the atmosphere you created and also the message, but it would make much more effect.
That being said, I think it is good overall, you just have to improve some elements. I suggest you do not change this too much, but that you take these words in consideration for the next time you write. Keep writing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Eliot Knight

8 Years Ago

Hmm I surely will keep it in mind and review this piece accordingly as well. Thankyou for the constr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 25, 2016
Last Updated on March 25, 2016
Tags: horror, fiction, drama, metaphor

Author

Eliot Knight
Eliot Knight

Riyadh , Saudi Arabia



About
In progress... more..

Writing
Nana Nana

A Story by Eliot Knight



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


MY HUMAN MY HUMAN

A Poem by Tyrean_m


The Monster The Monster

A Poem by Not here