ABBA, FATHER, DADDY

ABBA, FATHER, DADDY

A Poem by Ellen Hammond
"

A poem I hope will comfort others who are in great pain or who may have suffering loved ones.

"

 


ABBA, FATHER, DADDY
 

  “ ….but you have received the Spirit of son-ship. (adoption)
And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself
testifies with our spirit that we are God‘s children.”
Romans 8: 15-16 NIV





Abba.....I yearn to run to you again
Free, at last, from this staggering pain
You said, I must return here for a season
For a while.....a purpose.....a special reason


Father...Please help me clearly understand
All I’ll need, to finish my work, you’ve planned
Guide me, tell me, show me, what I’ve still to do
Before you’ll take me home, once again, with you


Daddy...As scenes of life flashed before me
No sin showed, though my life was not sin free
You answered my questions before I asked them
“My child, I see no sin.......your debt’s paid by Him”





Abba..Then you showed me the great red flood
“You’re washed, while crossing that river of blood
All sin....forgiven....forgotten....robes washed white”
No longer, will thoughts of death cause stress or fright.


Father..Please help me accept, not complain
Help me smile, even through this constant pain
Lift my spirits...let your love...and Son light shine
May my words, and deeds, reflect your love divine


Daddy…There are those who say, “visualize”
Close my eyes, let my mind, the pain disguise
Just let my thoughts take me to a “special place”
Thus....I snuggle in your arms, and seek your face





Abba...Such special times renew my strength
To face the days...which seem of greater length
Basking, in your  warm,  compassionate,  embrace
My heart,  and mind,  know  there is  no  better place


Father...please hold me closely to your heart
Your loving presence, makes much pain depart
Wondrous, treasured, moments...sweet tranquility
As waves of  love...peace...joy...hope, wash over me


Daddy..Keep my heart open to serve you
Letting your love for all others flow through
As your Spirit prompts, help me candidly share
What you have forgiven and taught me with care



(c)Ellen Hammond 2008

Because I believe our Lord desires a true relationship rather than religion, and “Abba” could be more accurately translated as “Dad” or “Daddy” rather than the more formal “Father,” I often use the less formal words in conversation with Him. I hope and pray that my use of the less formal does not offend anyone.

© 2010 Ellen Hammond


Author's Note

Ellen Hammond
Do you think this will be of comfort or inspiring to others who suffer? All comments, especially any critiquing comments are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Please delete that final tag! If Abba is good enough for Jesus on the cross, it better be good enough for anybody, and certainly is for me!!!
Now here's a marvellous occurance: Had you noticed that EVERY SINGLE STANZA has a conical* shape to it, broad at the base, narrow at the top--was this by design, or was it a fortuitous fluke? Pointing from the Many to the Rarified, from the Base to the Heights? And are the groupings of three stanzas, three times referent to your three deaths?
Ellen, yours is the most magnificent Gift, and I covet it greatly! You can take the Truths Celestial, Unapproachable, Incomprehensible, and bring them home to we who need them in terms Earthly, Welcoming and Personal. Too frequently, I do the opposite, taking the plain and Ivorytowerizing it to death., How glad am I that our paths have crossed!
*o.k., trapezoidal, PICKY! lmao!

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

ellen,your writes are always soothing...they are light...noor,from a pure heart..thanks for being you...i was delighted to read it...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I thought this was warm and gentle, like loving arms encircling the reader. I found the "Abba" part to be quite interesting...I would not think that this should upset anyone...it is your relation with god after all not anyone elses. Great job!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I absolutely do. Yesterday (3/7/10) my sister will have passed 12 years ago. Sadly, she passed away on her own birthday. Your words brought comfort to me. I thank you so much. God bless.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was inspiring to me, and my suffering is miniscule compared to others, so I believe it will be of great comfort to others.. Perhaps one day I can let God into my life to replace the father who failed to be a dad. But I still find it hard to trust, even in God, for he so easily turns away...
Anyways, a great write, very inspiring!

Posted 14 Years Ago


this is great i love"Abba...Such special times renew my strength
To face the days...which seem of greater length
Basking, in your warm, compassionate, embrace
My heart, and mind, know there is no better place




Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, I think there's no doubt that this would be most comforting to anyone who believes. The slight pyramid shapes that Mark pointed out are significant to me, creating solid foundations for each stanza, both literally and figuratively. "A house built on solid rock" being a common Bible concept. I'd not heard the word "Abba" used this way before, so I'll have to remember that it also means "father" and not just a Swedish pop group.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

my earthly father never had anything to say to me while he lived, no words of love or encouragement, no phrases of pride, nothing

a couple of years after he died, while I was sitting at my desk at work, I suddenly began to see images from his life, photographs in my mind that were never in any album I ever saw, it was his way of telling me that he enjoyed his life and that he was happy in his new home

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I think it is inspiring and shows that we all need help at sometime and to ask for help for guidance is not a sign of weakness but in reality it takes strong person to admit they can't go it alone. I will end this with a big AMEN!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Perfect from the first word until the final one.
A blessing all should take comfort from.
It's not for me to make any judgments. I have none.
Inspirational!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How can one critique the Spirit? The Spirit moves in one direction together like the wind. We cannot tell from whence it comes or to where it is going. We cannot see it, taste it or touch it but we know its strength and power by the force with which it moves us. This is a blessing for as many as can accept it. But I see no need why it should "offend" anyone. Of course, there are many folks who are offended by the truth and that has always puzzled me. I find this comforting and peaceful. If the life is in the blood and the life has passed, is there any way back to the life but by the blood? But then, it is not OUR life or OUR blood but...was it ever?

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4190 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 24, 2008
Last Updated on March 13, 2010

Author

Ellen Hammond
Ellen Hammond

Saint John, N.B., Bay of Fundy , Canada



About
more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan