The Lighthouse

The Lighthouse

A Story by Elliot B.
"

Never block out anyone from your life... You never know when they need it most!

"

The fog bank rolled ever closer. I shivered as a cool breeze turned to a cold wind. Up on the rocky promontory stood the lighthouse, its light spinning rhythmically.


My heart was heavy. I had shut out my one and only love when she needed me most. I had promised to never put up a wall between us, and yet I had done so. I had broken my promise.


In an instant, the fog engulfed the sturdy lighthouse. A particularly strong gust drenched me with a shower of salt water, stinging my eyes. When I wiped the tears from my face, something was wrong. The regular sweep of light had ceased.


The cold wind had turned into a full November gale. I had to retreat from the beach to avoid getting swept into the sea. A moan pierced the chaos of the tempest. A ship was caught! trapped in the storm! I looked up to the lighthouse; no light shone through the darkness. The vessel moaned again. I strained my eyes to see through the fog, but I could make out no shapes but the wick-less candle standing motionless as one of its wards fought the waves alone. The helpless ship wailed once more, and then I heard a terrifying scraping, then a crash, and a chilling human cry, which although brief, echoed through my mind like an empty cavern.


I ran blindly toward the promontory. Knowing that I could do nothing did not slow me, but spurred me to go faster.


I reached the lighthouse, that evil tower of brick which failed to carry out its task. A lightning bolt made the night as bright as day, showing me a small fishing vessel, cast on the rocks beneath the lighthouse. So close to help, but help was so far from it.


The brine of tears filled my eyes. If I could weep enough to fill an ocean, it would never be sufficient. My light is out.


-Elliot B.


© 2017 Elliot B.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this. Very poetic, I like the part about the brine of tears. Very visual. Keep it up!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elliot B.

6 Years Ago

Thank you! I really appreciate the feedback!
This was beautifuly heartbreaking. Very nice!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Elliot B.

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
The writer lost his love due his mistakes.
And experienced( breeze-gust-gale-tempests) transformation, and a ship facing this change lonely when the ships last ray of hope i. e light house went blacked.. Ship met its demise...

Writer tried his best to help but he was So close to help, but help was so far from it...

The brine of tears filled my eyes. If I could weep enough to fill an ocean, it would never be sufficient. My light is out.


Well written, the happenings with the ship really depicts writer's shape of mind... i. e lost


Posted 6 Years Ago


AcasualPawn

6 Years Ago

But it sounds repetition of happening with writer.....
Elliot B.

6 Years Ago

I was hoping that the story itself would be sufficient explanation, but it seems like I may have to .. read more
AcasualPawn

6 Years Ago

But still, story is as good. The interpretations have minor changes... But message was still receive.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 6, 2017
Last Updated on August 10, 2017

Author

Elliot B.
Elliot B.

Lasalle, IL



About
I'm not a real serious writer of stories or anything like that, I just put down ideas that I have in my mind. more..

Writing
The Forest The Forest

A Story by Elliot B.