Smiling At Everything.

Smiling At Everything.

A Story by Emily-Jane

I was angry! Well, if I was honest I was a lot more than angry. I wasn't sure who I was angry at, just anyone who approached me. I didn't care who they were or if they were worried about me, if they came up to me they were given a polite, "piss off!" 

I looked around the stereotypical waiting room and it only fuelled my anger. The aged and ugly brown sofa pushed into the corner, the rows of uncomfortable chairs, the dated wooden floor with worn out green rugs, the unclean fish tank, the disgustingly bright cream Walls, the distracted, young receptionist. It all added to my anger. I didn't want to be there. If given the choice I would never have been there but I wasn't given a choice. I started to think about everything and the anger I was feeling multiplied. I was angry at everyone. Everyone I knew. The only reason I had for this intense and frightening feeling was that they didn't have to deal with the troubles that had plagued my existence for the last three years. 

I couldn't just sit in there and do nothing anymore. I reached into my pocket and took out my cigarettes and lighter. Just as I was about to light my first one, "don't you even think about it!" I turned around to see  the receptionist had finally payed attention to something that wasn't the out of date computer she was glued to. Seeing as I wasn't allowed to smoke I had to find something else to keep my hands busy, so I stood up to get some water from the dispenser next to the ugly sofa. As I turned around, with my cup in hand, the door to the waiting room opened and walked in the last person I'd ever expect, or want, to see. 

Taylor Brooks. The self obsessed, vain b***h from my English class. There are no words to describe how much I detest this girl. She confidently strutted over to the receptionist and gave her information and was told to take a seat. As she turned around she seen me for the first time. 

"Ugh what the hell are you doing here, Alice?" she asked with complete annoyance in her voice. 
"Isn't it obvious? I'm here for the free drugs!" I replied with sarcasm dripping from my voice as I took a seat. She rolled her eyes and took a seat a few chairs away from me. I smiled triumphantly thinking she would stay quiet. I was wrong. Curiosity got the better of her and she moved to the chair in front of mine and said, "seriously, why are you here?" Now it was my turn to roll my eyes and ignore her. "You got arrested and now you're being forced to be here, right? You look like someone who would get arrested." That took me by surprise. I looked down at myself and was even more confused. It was my usual look black skin tight jeans ripped at the knees, black leather boots, black baggy t-shirt with a colourful graphic, a denim jacket, my dyed purple hair done in it's everyday style, straightened so it reached just past my shoulders. Do I actually look like someone who would get arrested?

I glared back at Taylor and she just stared back at me with a smug look. "I'm right aren't I?" she asked giddier than a child.  "Not that it's any of your business but no, I haven't been arrested." Iadmitted and the smile dropped right off her face. "Well what other possible reason could you have for being here?" She asked annoyed again. I thought about just ignoring her but she just kept staring at me expectantly. The anger I had been feeling earlier came back ten times worse "Go away, Taylor!" I said with the deadliest glare. She sat there looking at the ground with a consetrated look for a few minutes.  Then that stupid smug look back for round two. "Oh I know why your in therapy!" She said ecstatically. "You're an emo like your sister, aren't you?" 

"What?" I raged, not even trying to hide my anger. I couldn't believe what she had just said. "You're a cutter right? Just like your emo sister? What was her name, Amy?" She asked looking like she had won a prize. How could she take such a serious and personal topic like this and make it sound like a sick little game? 

"Taylor, you had better shut up right now or I am going to kill you." I was going to lose it and Taylor was number one on my hit list. "Aww is Alice not enjoying her adventures in wonderland anymore?" She asked sarcastically tilting her head to the right. "Come on, tell me that's why your here right?"

I stood up and walked till I was standing right in front of her. "Taylor, you really don't know what you're talking about." She at least looked scared but that wasn't going to stop her. "I know what I'm talking about!" She stood up so we were almost the same height. She quickly took a few steps away from me and said, "I'm talking about your emo sister killing herself for attention and now you-" she didn't get a chance to finish. I swung for her and my fist connected to her nose with all the force I had. 

The next thing I remember was being pulled off of Taylor by someone. I didn't care enough to see who had saved that pathetic waste of space. "So that's why you assaulted Taylor?" Officer Baxtor asked. Looking at my hands on the desk in front of me I said, "yes sir. I told you she started it." I shocked myself by sounding so childish and vulnerable. "Well, Alice, it doesn't really matter anymore now that you've confessed to assault. You know you will most likely be going to prison for this?" He said sounding disappointed. 

I looked up at him and that was all it took. I broke down. I sat and I cried. Loud broken sobs echoed through the small and almost empty room. I knew that Taylor would press charges and I knew that my life was over and all I could do was cry. 

© 2013 Emily-Jane


Author's Note

Emily-Jane
I wrote this for my English class and we had a word limit and this is one of the first times I've ever wrote like this so I'm sorry if it sucks or If the grammar or any spelling is wrong.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on February 23, 2013
Last Updated on February 24, 2013
Tags: Short Story, Alice, anger, teen, sad, bored, waiting

Author

Emily-Jane
Emily-Jane

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I enjoy music, reading and procrastinating. My favourite books are books you would think are for children because I believe you need a greater imagination to write for children. more..

Writing
Cliche Heart Cliche Heart

A Chapter by Emily-Jane


Bloody Bus Bloody Bus

A Chapter by Emily-Jane