Cliche Heart

Cliche Heart

A Chapter by Emily-Jane
"

I spend a lot of time in Glasgow as I'm from around there and you see some sweet/random/weird things.

"
As i sat on the steps outside of the Royal Concert Hall, usually only somewhere people would sit in the summer to feel the sun, the first thing i noticed was, these steps are really freezing. The second, and more meaningful, thing i noticed was a woman standing on the forth step about a meter and half to the left of me. I don't know why she caught my eye but when she did i had to keep glancing at her. She was just an ordinary woman, dressed in slim denim jeans with brown boots that reach her shin, cream leather jacket, light brown scarf wrapped around her neck for warmth with a matching beanie hat with a little bobble at the end. She couldn't have been older than thirty seven but she was clearly aged around her eyes from, what i assume, late nights and stressful work. I quickly noticed the steaming cup of whatever hot liquid in her hand and thought nothing of it, it is November in Scotland I'm sure the heat was a necessity, until i seen she had a second in her other hand.
"Must be waiting for someone" I thought to myself as i turned back to the notepad in my lap, of course she was standing on the steps they offered height advantage over the heads of the crowed street. She was tapping her foot rhythmically against the stone steps and i found myself counting the taps in my head. Tap, tap, tap-tap, tap tap, tap-tap, tap. Then they stopped.
 I looked back to her again and seen her face light up like a sixteen year old girl as she descended the steps and quickly walked towards a man i hadn't noticed. He was in every way a cliche of a business man,long navy coat that was buttoned but still showed some of his white shirt and red tie, polished dress shoes and leather looking gloves on, he was also in his late thirty's or early forty's.
The woman approached him and was greeted with a kiss and the hot cup was quickly taken from her hand. He wrapped an arm around her waist and hugged her close to his side, as he looked at her he seemed to be more at ease, more youthful. AS they strolled away from me i was left smiling because they must have been married for some years but still have that reaction when meeting. Maybe i just have a cliche heart but things like this never fail to make me smile.


© 2013 Emily-Jane


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your story makes me smile, too! Such a simple observation, yet it has so much love and care in it. I know you said it was just something you saw (I like to people-watch, too), but maybe think about taking this moment you observed and turning it into a short story? What's her name? Why was she there? Where was he coming from? What's the history of their relationship? Good luck!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
1 Review
Added on November 13, 2013
Last Updated on November 13, 2013
Tags: Glasgow, Scotland, short stories, real life, cliche


Author

Emily-Jane
Emily-Jane

Glasgow, United Kingdom



About
I enjoy music, reading and procrastinating. My favourite books are books you would think are for children because I believe you need a greater imagination to write for children. more..

Writing
Bloody Bus Bloody Bus

A Chapter by Emily-Jane


Stay Gone Stay Gone

A Stage Play by Emily-Jane