I'd Pay To See You Frown

I'd Pay To See You Frown

A Story by EmaleighLynn
"

Written for yet another contest.

"

I

He observed her with a smile on his lips. She was exquisite, just as they had said. Perfect in every way. There was something about her, something foreign and dangerous, that He knew would draw everyone in the world to see her. See her shine. See her glow.

See her sin.

After all, there’s nothing wrong with just a taste of what you’ve paid for.


II

The town was small and dusty, in the middle of a wasteland. There were no more than two hotels, three general stores, one bank, one tavern, one department store that was really more like half of one, and one laboratory. Empty fields spread around the town, farming season long over. By the looks of things, it had been over for quite some time.

The circus set up just outside the city limits, sending young men into the town proper to inform the people of its presence. This wasn’t exactly necessary, as the tents were large enough to see for miles, but it was polite, as He said. Polite to let the masses know what they were about to experience.

The people came. Oh, did they come.


III

He had ordered her to be placed in a position of prominence. She was the main attraction, after all. They could pretend it was the acrobats or the clowns, but it was really her. Her, sitting above them all, looking down with that half-smile on her face. She was perfect.

He looked up at her with a smile on His face as the crowds, the poor innocent crowds, filtered in. This would be the most excitement they’d had for months. All thanks to Him. Him and His Mona Lisa.


IV

The show started as innocently as any other. Music played, animals came out, acrobats hung from impossible heights.

No one noticed her at first. She sat silently on her perch, ignored. All according to plan.

When her time came, however, she stood. She was draped in thick red fabric, but she quickly shed it, revealing the twisted other underneath. That was really the only day to explain it. Other. Alien. Unnatural. Strange.

She stood there, staring straight ahead, beautiful head atop that otherness. The crowd was utterly silent, gaping in confusion and horror. What was this circus?


V

The circus left town before the day was over. It was their way - leave as soon as possible. That way no one had a choice but to remember them. Them and their Mona Lisa.

© 2015 EmaleighLynn


Author's Note

EmaleighLynn
What did I just write.

Anyway, tell me what you think! I was going for a gothic horror feel here, did I achieve it? Inspired by the line "I'd pay to see you frown" from Panic! At The Disco's song "The Ballad Of Mona Lisa."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ooohhh I love Panic! At The Disco. Awesome!

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
1 Review
Added on June 8, 2015
Last Updated on June 11, 2015
Tags: song-inspired, sort of, contest, panic! at the disco, gothic horror, at least its supposed to be

Author

EmaleighLynn
EmaleighLynn

Columbia, SC



About
Wow, it's been a while since I did anything here. God. I'm sorry. I've been writing since eighth grade. I'm a freshman in college now (wtf). I write fiction (books, short stories) and a LOT of poet.. more..

Writing
Winged Winged

A Story by EmaleighLynn


49 49

A Story by EmaleighLynn