Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by CrazedWriter

The drive to school the next morning was slow. At least that's how it seemed to me. Dad hadn't told me what the paper said, and I was rather worried at this point. Neither of us said much during breakfast, and silence had ensued after we got in the car.
Dad shifted the car into park at the school, but I didn't get out right away. He didn't look at me, only stared out the window in a near deafening silence. He looked exhausted from lack of sleep, and his eyes held little to no emotion. 
I bit my lip in anticipation of how the conversation would go. After taking a deep breath, I spoke. "Dad... are you okay? I know something's bothering you. And I know it has something to do with whatever you were reading on that paper yesterday."
In the moment that he met my gaze, I was a bit surprised. My father looked years older than he was. His eyes, usually so full of knowledge and happiness, were now filled with worry and concern. As I looked back at him, I could see the weight of his worry residing on his shoulders.
"There's a reason I don't talk about your mother," he started. "I've been harboring anger with her for years. When we met, she was vibrant and full of life. But after we married, she..." His words stopped as he thought about his marriage. "She was different. I didn't notice the change right away; it was a subtle difference. Your mother seemed tired with life after a while." Dad's face creased with worry and another bout of reminiscence. "To this day, I don't know why she seemed bored with our marriage. But Crystal, your mother is coming for a visit. She wants to see you."

My focus throughout first period that day was non-existent. All I could think about was my mother. So many questions were passing through my mind. What had made her tire of her marriage with dad? And if she wanted to visit me, why now? Where was the desire to visit me years ago?
Before I could think about it any longer, Mr. Stone announced that we had a new student to the class. A tall brunette entered the room with a bright smile. She turned to face the class and introduce herself. "Hi, I'm Ysabelle!"
Out of my periphery, I could see Jake looking at me, but I made no move to return the glance. Instead, I slunk down in my chair and returned my thoughts to the events taking place later tonight. I was meeting my mother for the first time. That wasn't too comforting, considering the fact that I wasn't too excited to meet her.
Jake caught me after class and pulled me to the side of the hallway. "Are you okay? You seemed distracted during class."
I couldn't bring myself to meet his probing eyes. All I could do was wrap my arms around my books, as if I were afraid they would disappear if I let go. I wasn't sure how to answer his question. Was I okay?
"Um, I'm sorry. I have to go." I hurried away from Jake before he could question me further. My anxiety was rising, almost too fast. It wouldn't be long before I would start to feel dizzy. My fingers fumbled around in my backpack, searching for my phone. With shaky hands, I dialed my father's number.
"Hello?"
"Dad, I need you to come get me." The racing of my heart was so violent, it was shaking my body. There was a heavy pressure on my chest, making it difficult for me to take deep breaths. It felt like there was no air reaching my lungs.
"Crystal, what's wrong?" He immediately took on a tone of concern.
"I can't breathe," I told him. "It's too much for me today. I need to go home."
There was a faint sound of shuffling before I heard his voice again. "Go to the office, honey. I'll be there as soon as I can."
It wasn't a shock to me that my father had agreed to take me home. He understood that I struggled with anxiety, and situations like these made it a near panic. My ears had begun to ring as the dizziness settled in. A horrible pounding against my skull from an oncoming headache picked up.
I stumbled into one of the office chairs only moments later. The receptionist fixed her eyes on me, but her expression changed to one of worry as she took in my appearance. She rushed around the desk to come to my side as I dropped my bag on the floor with a thud.
My father entered the office then. He spoke with the receptionist for only a moment, before kneeling in front of me. "Crystal, look at me." 
I turned my gaze to his face, and let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. Now that he was here, I could breathe again, and I knew that everything would be okay. Squeezing his hand, I stated that I wanted to go home.
Dad nodded. "Okay. Let's get you home, then."

Once we got home, dad helped me get upstairs and into bed. "Breathe, Crystal. You have to slow your breathing."
I took deep breaths and felt my pulse begin to slow. As I pulled the covers up to my chin, I closed my eyes as exhaustion from the panic attack set in. My breathing slowed further as I drifted into sleep. Dad turned off the light as he left the room, allowing me to sleep for a while.
It was almost one o'clock when I woke. The smell of grilled cheese and tomato soup hit me as I opened my door to head downstairs. A slight smile crossed my face as I entered the kitchen. Dad was setting the table for lunch, but stopped when he sensed my presence. He grinned at me with a knowing stare as I made my way to the table. 
"I figured you could use some comfort food."
I wrapped my hands around the warm bowl of soup he had placed in front of me. "You know me a little too well, dad." As he sat down across from me, I began to relax a bit, knowing my father would always be around when I needed him the most. 


© 2020 CrazedWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You are definitely skilled with your descriptions! The anxiety came to life on the page! I love this so much!

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The writing seems even better in this chapter, but what really got me was your description of anxiety. Poor Crystal ): It felt like such real, actual anxiety. The mention of the headache, not being able to breathe, going to sleep early. It was such a great depiction and chapter. (:

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 3, 2020
Last Updated on October 3, 2020


Author

CrazedWriter
CrazedWriter

About
I enjoy reading and writing. Currently, my writing consists of mostly fanfiction, with a few originals. I also enjoy spending time outside whenever I can. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by CrazedWriter



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..