Bricks

Bricks

A Poem by Emily B
"

Attempting to make my voice meet metal. Someday I'll catch on.

"

When I huddled freezing in ice and snow

without shelter or coat or fire

you remodeled your kitchen for the tenth time

not happy with the ecru paint and expensive drapes.

When I wandered in an unknown and strange land

besieged by bullets, land mines and firestorms

you complained there was nothing stimulating

or entertaining in your two hundred tv channels.

When I was a starving child in a diseased land

belly bloated watching family drop like flies

you drowned your latest crisis of the moment

in a tub of Ben and Jerry's with Hershey's syrup.

When I found myself trampled and bleeding

protesting for a better world and for human rights

you whined about furs and non-organic farming--

self-satisfied with your mis-guided effort.

When I died alone, abject, abused

you toasted your latest promotion and bigger paycheck

planning for newer, bigger luxuries;

forgetting even your self-righteous gestures.

 

© 2008 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Emily, I am very proud. This is a fantastic non-sympathetic, moral and ethically challenging piece of writing. It reads seamlessly and resonates an integral and honest humanitarian soul. I don't know if I can convey very well how much this eased into my heart and mind. It was gracious, yet weighted with great sorrow and torment. This is important. Send it to Gabriel, he must read it.



Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Matthew 25:34-40.



Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I knew it was just a matter of time. You always manage to outdo yourself. This is yet a new favorite among your works. You elegantly, almost gently bash us over the head with this quiet statement of contrast.

I can imagine the narrator quietly closing a book and walking away, leaving the guilty party to contemplate their sins. Standing like a slack-jawwed yokel watching the tornado twist of into the distance after leveling his trailer.

Bravo! Needless to say ... this is twisting off into my favorites.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one of the most important poems I've read in a while. You brutally captured the world and never slacked in being a poet in doing so.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Gestures we make to make ourselves feel or look good are worth little, but are better than none...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily, this poem really moved me.. it is s true to life .. people are so self centered sometimes and take their blessings for granted while others suffer at the hand of humankind.. i love it , it almost makes me cry.

Chloe
xoxo

the title is perfect!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wherein lies the greatest suffering?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ouch!

i really love the simple back and forth format of this. how you take a theme and show the two sides of each example.

i love that the narrator is sort of an overarching angelic or jesus figure... we are busy in our priveleged lives often ignoring our divine duty to help those less fortunate.

thank you for writing such an important poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
Even the most anti-materialistic person can succumb to this disease, I've found, even myself. There's always that line between idealism and cold reality, between "I can at least do this" and "What can I possibly do?" which provides endless conflict, but sadly, no concrete answers.

I read the news, ingest it all, feel overwhelming sadness and empathy. And I find I have to disconnect partially to be able to go on.

I don't watch TV, I don't shop at designer stores, I shun newness and glitter for kitsch and old. Yet, I still worry over my finances, my social standing and my future plans revolving around that NZ dream of a quarter acre home.

Sad, isn't it?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes you should try watching the news in your country from our point of view (Canada)...we all petty much agree...and we have our "own" here too. It amazes me how the Patriot act has scuttled your rights and freedoms and all to sell some drugs for guns and guns for oils...We have a Prime Minister who thinks that all o us live in the upper crust, Ahole...Great job again, ould go on and on couldn't it?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh yes there is so much misery in this stupid world ,no, no body cares ,death and misery everywhere ,and we call ourselves human ,its a shame ,human only by name ,we get a nice bed to be tugged in ,forget those who only find the streets as their best ,oh i can see so much misery ,and sadness ,and only little happiness ,I hope you are content in the warmth of your nice castle,sheltered away from cold,yes good for you ,enjoy

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

777 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 7, 2008
Last Updated on April 9, 2008

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Poet The Poet

A Chapter by Emily B