Stitches

Stitches

A Poem by Emily B
"

For the Lotus-Eaters CHallenge.

"

Because you never sleep when I’m gone

I decided to make you a quilt—

to fill the void where I should be

 

I chose sunshine for windowpane blocks

but couldn’t get the squares cut out just right

Stray beams spilled over with every snip

 

Sashings should be complimentary

I chose laughter

It’s a little loud for your taste

but should sing a sweet lullaby

 

Reluctant to choose a contrast

I selected just a little of sadness and grief

It takes very little of the dark

to balance out the whole

 

I started a border of memories

but didn’t have enough stored up

to go all the way around

 

I suppose that my gift to you

will remain a work in progress.

 

© 2009 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think my favorite lines are:
I chose sunshine for windowpane blocks

but couldn't get the squares cut out just right.

Stray beams spilled over with every snip.

but the whole poem is finely woven....each word lovingly stitched until the whole piece warms the soul.
GOD what a GOOD POEM! (sorry - I couldn't help myself) No wonder you're on poetrydances.com for May. I've been meaning to congratulate you for DAYS.

A year here. I'm takin' credit for that - you know that, right?
You're one of the reasons I haven't crawled out of the cafe into the cyber sewer like the ground dwelling cockroach I am....

Posted 15 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hello Emily . This is my second review for you . I started from your first poem , and then I thought to find what you have written in the middle of your precious word here , and I calculated . . . this is on page 13 , the 5th . . . smiling

As you know , my native language is not English , so I had to look in the dictionary for sashing , and complimentary , whether they had technical reference to sewing . . . laughing

Oh , I read this many times , and also translated in google , spending time pondering whom of your children you tried to guard a good sleep in the daylight , or perhaps yourself , taking nap . . . a moment of realizing how harsh life can be . . .

Not to laugh and scare anybody , but to make them feel cozy . . . for the Sun never sleeps , and one can not hide . . .

Found home in being childish , and playing with the shades and stray beams . . .

I could well also hear my Gramma laughing , ( she was great artisan , grew linen , handled it , and weaved quilts , big table clothes , and shimmering window curtains . . . )

This awakened so much from my memories , I am thankful for finding these . I love your philosophy .

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh lovely, just lovely. The first stanza is my favorite because it hit home.... but really you are a very talented writer and it shows in all the works I've read. You have a natural sense of words.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that is so sweet and loving... nothing like a quilt you make for your baby to keep them warm as they sleep then warm inside later as a reminder of the love you have for them.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh my! Emily, this is AWESOME!
So outstanding, The feeling of warmth and emotions have been so beautifully described here...What a great subject to write upon...Simply beautiful!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a lovely concept - a quilt of thoughts to keep this person warm while you are gone. I loved the bit about not having enough memories to go all the way around and it being a work in progress.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

VERY abstract, yet it has that sense of warmth. It makes you feel like you're trying to give your heart to the one you love, but you don't have enough to give.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
zee
I can relate to this being that I sew. This poem feels sad to me... I read it 3 times. It makes you wonder. And there's many emotions running through. I think I'll read it again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is amazing. Your style has captivated me and really brought forth emotion to life. Imagery and metaphors are well-written also.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yay.

i really love the homespun quality of this. y'know it kind of reminds me of the lyrics of kimya dawson.

very cool imagery and it has a winning charm that is both exuberant and melancholie. hard to ride that fence.

Posted 15 Years Ago


"to fill the void where I should be"...so evocative of this relationship. I loved this poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1216 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 7 Libraries
Added on May 21, 2008
Last Updated on August 20, 2009


Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B