Traveling in 18th century Kentuckee

Traveling in 18th century Kentuckee

A Story by Emily B
"

Journal from a recent trek

"

Journal 31st October

We finally caught back up to the rest of our party near the falls of the Cumberland River. It seemed like it had been months and years since we parted. In reality, it was just a short time since we had seen them. They had set up camp in a good -sized rock shelter on the side of a small hill. The fire was burning and a kettle was already filled with what would be supper.
It only took a few moments to move rocks and lay out our blankets where we would be sleeping later. There wasn’t time to gather any hemlock boughs to cushion us before the rain began to fall in earnest. So we sat round the fire and caught up on all that had happened since we separated down the trail.
Every head around the fire was wearing a cap knitted from yarn that I had spun and dyed. There was a variety of colors. There was gray that came from Mr. Baxter’s Shetland flock back home. There was brown that came from the shed buffalo wool that the men had gathered on their travels. There were greens that came from my osage orange and ironweed dye pots and peach from sassafras. Colors and threads combined to make a cap both warm and practical.
Soon it was supper time. We had split pea soup and salt pork with a little rum to wash it down. It was the best meal that I had seen in some time. I need to ask Mr. F for his receipt. I would very much like to have that stew again.
We talked through travel plans until tiredness crept in. It had been a long day and the rain beat down on the shelter. How fortunate that we were both warm and dry! Sometime in the night I woke from a dream thinking I heard a child screaming. I thought of Anna so far away. I hoped she was safe at home and that the dream wasn’t some sort of bad omen. Sleep eluded me the rest of the night and eventually I crawled out of the blankets to try and coax some embers from last nights fire into a flame. Coffee was very much on my mind but I had no luck. As quiet as I was trying to be, I did rouse Mr. Smith and he soon had the fire standing up to attention. We chatted a little as we filled the coffee pot with water. He assured me that my dream was nothing of evil but the screeching of a great horned owl.
Mr. Smith had me look at a swelling in his throat. I wondered if burdock or turmeric taken internally would help the inflammation with an application of comfrey salve external. I wish that I had some of my books along to consult on the best course. We’ll have to keep an eye on that as we go along.
Soon the other gentlemen were rising and ready to fill their cups with coffee and the skillet with the morning’s breakfast. Salt pork glazed with rum and maple sugar and some fried apples was a good start to the day.
It still rained too much to travel so the men sawed up a deadfall log and split it to dry by the fire for this evening’s cooking. Later when the rain stopped, Mr. F and Mr. T went down the hill to scout along the river and a little way down the Sheltowee Trace to see what signs they could find.
I dug some ginseng root and hung it by the fire to dry. It will fetch twenty five cents per dried pound. There was plenty of ginger on the hillside as well. It is known to help man’s nature to digest his food well. It is good for all chest troubles which are caused by the cold. And it is good for the loins and stirs a man mightily whether it be drunk or eaten with red wine. I will dig some to carry with us before we go.
The gentlemen returned with tales of deer and sign and news of trails that would be passable as we traveled north when the weather cleared. We suppered on salt pork again. I turned in early as did Mr. Burns. I slept sounder this night and woke refreshed to the sound of water still dripping from the rocks and trees.
We had venison for breakfast with the last of the apples and some walnuts. Somewhere down below a buck snorted. He objected to our presence in his woods apparently. It was nearly time to move on anyway. I need to watch for slippery elm as we travel. My supply is almost depleted. I will want to make some more salve at our next camp.

© 2021 Emily B


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

the final line here was the unintentional espionage that allows us city dwellers not only to wonder about the present adventure, but to muse about what pure and un-accidental medicine nature could offer if we just knew where to look. When I was younger I thought that all lovely mushrooms were good to eat and savory when put in stews. Mother had to spank my hand constantly when I plucked the soft-poppy seed pretty ones from the front yard. This story leaps at our associations; binds us to the lore of sleeping under the stars. (I have never eaten dear meat. nor slept on boughs of hemlock) I didn't know if the spelling [Kentuckee] was strategically done or just the 18th century lexicon of a people forging their way from America to Americans. Marvelously written. Happy New Year.....dana

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

the final line here was the unintentional espionage that allows us city dwellers not only to wonder about the present adventure, but to muse about what pure and un-accidental medicine nature could offer if we just knew where to look. When I was younger I thought that all lovely mushrooms were good to eat and savory when put in stews. Mother had to spank my hand constantly when I plucked the soft-poppy seed pretty ones from the front yard. This story leaps at our associations; binds us to the lore of sleeping under the stars. (I have never eaten dear meat. nor slept on boughs of hemlock) I didn't know if the spelling [Kentuckee] was strategically done or just the 18th century lexicon of a people forging their way from America to Americans. Marvelously written. Happy New Year.....dana

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow. I LOVED this! It was like reading the diary of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. I could read an entire book of this, like a Little House on the Prairie adventure, I was swept back in time and you managed the transition so effortlessly. Just brilliant, my friend. Great writing!

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

2 Years Ago

The first version was a young man who left his bride behind because I couldn't imagine a reason for .. read more
Fabian G. Franklin

2 Years Ago

You could work this into a journey-type series. I'd read it! One of my favorite's in that vein is Ma.. read more
Emily B

2 Years Ago

There will be other treks. I think the plan is to record those jpurneys.
This is mind blowing
I felt I was there in the rain sipping coffee eating the hearty breakfast

Beautifully described
You have such talent

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emily B

2 Years Ago

Oh, you're too kind. It was a lovely rainy weekend and I was glad to going you along.
Julie McCarthy (juliespenhere)

2 Years Ago

Thanks enjoyed the trip
Stumbling onto your campsite was a blessing. The salt pork and venison were delicious, as was the coffee.
May you and yours continue to bless and be blessed as you travel on.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 5, 2021
Last Updated on November 5, 2021

Author

Emily B
Emily B

Richmond, KY



About
to the Lost Boys I am no Wendy; but my voice brings you back to me. And you sit around my feet, anxious for a story or a kiss. Listening to my words spinning adventures, like so much g.. more..

Writing
Old bones Old bones

A Poem by Emily B


Memories Memories

A Poem by Emily B



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


patience patience

A Poem by Emily B