Prompt-Based Writing Exercise #1

Prompt-Based Writing Exercise #1

A Story by EmilyFfion
"

A super short writing exercise based on a prompt. Prompt- Write a scene that takes place immediately after a tragedy. Don't mention the tragedy.

"
The silence is deafening; for those few seconds when no one quite registers what has just happened, an then, almost as quick as everything stopped, it started again. People are shouting orders at each other, others are trying their best to do whatever they can to help; some are moving away, moving their children, themselves, from what they have just witnessed.
I stand.
I breathe.
In and out.
Soon a siren can be heard in the distance, charging towards us. I can't move, I'm not even thinking. The emergency crews arrive, ambulances and police; all the crews jump into action as if they don't already know that every attempt to save the victims is already surely futile.
An unknowable amount of time later, I feel a blanket being placed around my shoulders. Sire, she says, sir, you're in shock, would you like to come and sit down with me? For the first time, I move, a fraction of an inch, to look at the lady standing in front of me, her face is calm. I glance at her name badge, she's a student paramedic. Sir? Are you okay to come and sit with me? Now we've dealt with the most seriously affected we must also see to those who were in the area, I need to make sure you are okay.
I nod.
I walk.
One foot in front of the other.
I speak. It's just one sentence. I don't even know what happened.
That's fine, Sir, the lady says, everything's going to be okay. But is it really going to be okay? How do you know that? Bad things have happened here tonight and I couldn't even move to help. I couldn't take one step.
People died that night.
I couldn't even take one step to help.

© 2017 EmilyFfion


Author's Note

EmilyFfion
This is super short and probably a bit rubbish.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Added on April 9, 2017
Last Updated on April 9, 2017
Tags: Short story, tragedy, prompt, exercise, practice, practicing, first person

Author

EmilyFfion
EmilyFfion

United Kingdom



About
Just a bit of a hobby. more..

Writing
Countdown Countdown

A Poem by EmilyFfion