Reverse Myself

Reverse Myself

A Poem by Wonderland Asylum

" That's just me "

You’ll hear her say

" I am lesser than beautiful "
I refuse to believe that
I am of worth
What exactly am I?

A courageous soul who is unapologetically herself

Well, the truth is
I look in the mirror to only see
My reflections disappoint
No longer can I say that
My beauty radiates from within

now read from bottom to top

© 2018 Wonderland Asylum


Author's Note

Wonderland Asylum
I've struggled severely in the past with my confidence, and I often didn't try to 'believe in myself'. Then when I entered middle school, I started to not care about what people said about myself or my body. It didn't matter for me that I was being called a who're, or a bitch, because I know what I was doing, and what was being said about me wasn't true. They didn't know know me, or what I had been through, so I was gonna show it. I slowly gained confidence in myself, and changed my fashion looks to reflect my personality and how I don't care what people thought about me. Even more slowly, I was gaining confidence in my body.
I went from being a damaged young girl that was severely insecure, to a young adult who is an ambassador for brands, and models their clothing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

We can as human being go from one extreme to the total opposite via sheer determination, willpower and courage to face our own personal demons and self-doubts. Like you have done yourself. And your poem is an articulate, clever, nice done, poem. Expressing the lessons and confidence you have learnt and grow within you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I can relate strongly to this when I was young. I wasn't able to look in the mirror at all, I hated what I saw, and because of what was happening at home - well, I didn't care in the worst of ways. There was a lot of misery when it begun and people used to say I was so much like my father, who at the time was like a romodel to me.

I was just a kid who got into trouble a lot and didn't have the best social skills, causing me to react the "wrong" way and say the right things at the worst time. Then, my father suddenly underwent a trial of hardship and I saw the worst of him, how he changed, and with it - I changed. I hated being compared to my father, and although after what happened people didn't say it anymore, but you don't forget that. So, I forced myself to change, to become someone unrecognizable, and when I looked into the mirror and saw my father's eyes in mine, I would change even more. It took years for me to find myself, to became someone I could look in the mirror and call myself, and only then did I gain confidence. Anyone who tries to put me down now, have no power over me, because I knew who I was, what I had been through, and what I was living for.

A powerful message. True confidence isn't something you pretend to have, it is something unyielding and strong. It is self-reflecting and knowing who you are - and glad for it. Despite the past that has shaped us, the way we react to those experiences are what shape us into who we want to be. Because being someone who we are not, being hurt for something that wasn't true, has no power over us when we let the words bounce off of us.

To end this with a quote, "in order to insult me i must first value your opinion..."

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I believe we gain wisdom, when we like ourselves. I liked the journey and thoughts shared. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ahhhh GENIUS I love this! I wanna steel this idea! lol.
I think this is a lovely play with words and of course the significance is beautiful.

I may suggest adding in some more punctuation to help the reader better understand certain parts.
for example, using a period at the end of "I am of worth" and "my reflections disappoint".
Just a suggestion!

This is so creative! I am so glad to have read it!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked the way your poetry resembles the softer and more poetic version of modern poetry, but, I think, you could skip the line," Now read from bottom to top", though, you'll, of course, know better. Thank you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We dont see the beauty in ourselves; do we?
The mirror can only show the surface of the skin NOT the makings of the person within
Only you can really know that person > not even your spouce can reach all the iner thoughts

By damaged did you mean USED

Slowly you/we reach our understand and gain confidence

Go on now and reach for higher things - goals


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

pretty damn cool,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Posted 5 Years Ago


perfect mirror poem...

reflections similar to emily dickinson....
"i am nobody, are you nobody too?" she wrote.

you did this so well, the reflection of the words...

and beauty does radiate within this poem...and it is much more than on the surface.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We can as human being go from one extreme to the total opposite via sheer determination, willpower and courage to face our own personal demons and self-doubts. Like you have done yourself. And your poem is an articulate, clever, nice done, poem. Expressing the lessons and confidence you have learnt and grow within you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

501 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on November 21, 2018
Last Updated on November 21, 2018

Author

Wonderland Asylum
Wonderland Asylum

Reedley, CA



About
Alternative, shy, loves music. I typically keep to myself, and am not very expressive. But when I write, it's like I'm some place else. I've been gone for a while, and I'm working on getting back.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sirius Sirius

A Poem by Giulia King