The Everdeen Legacy~ See Ya Round, Everdeen

The Everdeen Legacy~ See Ya Round, Everdeen

A Chapter by EncoreDeZiza

The Evergreen Legacy

EncoreDeZiza

All Rights Reserved

2013

 

The Evergreen Legacy

Chapter One


Ordinarily, she loved the long, calming drive form town to the Everdeen residence. On a normal day, she took the time to cruise the old, crumbling road, allowing the music to go where no one else was allowed to go. The rhythm cut through her massive, unforgiving walls and the harmony awakened something within her- it reminded her to live.

But this drive, this drive- was different. It was annoyingly long, her car slowly creeping along the aging pavement; her disposable cup of chilled coffee shaking slightly in it’s holder. Her speakers were quiet, finally getting their well deserved rest. There hadn’t been a moment, from the instant they hummed their first note, that they’d been silent- they’d probably forgotten the meaning of the word.

Her teeth subconsciously raked over her bottom lip as she emerged in the clearing, leaving the beautiful, blooming nature behind as her eyes strayed over the property. Straight ahead was their rock drive, bending in a perfect circle that led you right back out. Stone pathways were placed between their various buildings, leading you form point A to point B. Her property was rather large; hosting an unnecessarily large grey mansion, a simple beige A-frame, four three-car garages, and a cottage off to the side.

Her Malibu came to a gradual stop on the side of the drive- yes, they had four garages, but that didn’t mean any of them were actually hers... It was all rather complex, really. The first garage, the one dressed in red and white, a british flag draped proudly over the west side, facing the second garage, which, happened to be her Uncles- the American. He’d countered his brother-in-law’s actions, painting his garage red and blue, the roof was dressed in his native flag, the same one propped just above the giant doors, loaded with security- he wouldn’t allow her father to break in and trash the place, not again. The third garage was far across the property, it’s paint chipping, wearing with it’s old age, the doors that screamed in protest of even the slightest movement, windows that rattled in the breeze, and old, unstable floorboards that ached under the smallest of pressure. The building was sketchy, and to every one who asked, abandoned. They wouldn’t find the passage way, the wouldn’t find the fail-safe, they wouldn’t find any piece of Everdeen history- even if one of them were to set it aflame and point at every trap door or place a neon flashing sign above the exits. They wouldn’t see it, because they didn’t know what they were looking for.

The fourth garage was the smallest, painted a soft beige to match the A-frame it occupied. Inside was her mother’s blue olds mobil and her summertime motorbike. She was expected to park inside that fourth garage, but she just didn’t want to. Her little Mali (that’s what she’d named it) had collected a fair amount of dust over the winter, and now that the sun was out, and she figured it was about time for her baby to get some air.

 

She leaned against the exterior of her car, watching the mansion wearily. The school had to have called, and if that wasn’t true, then being home at eleven would be a dead give away. Her eyes flickered from window to window, searching for any signs of life as she gingerly sipped her repulsive beverage. No sooner had she wrinkled her nose in disgust, when her eyes settled on a single window, it’s creme curtains pulled aside to reveal a faint orange glow somewhere between the entertainment room and main corridor. They were fighting, that much she knew, although it was the subject she was unclear about.

Well... Now or never.

 

Pulling herself from the car, she popped the lid to her cup, giving it a gentle tip, just enough for the beverage to drip over the rubble before tossing it into the empty can that sat perched by the wide, arched doorways.

Conjuring a plan of avoidance, she gave the stubborn door a shove, cringing as it gave a loud, protestant squeal. She paused, nibbling lightly on her lip. Sometimes her parents were too into their arguments to notice, or care, about small noises; and as she stood, poised just inside the door, she could only hope this was one of those times.

When nothing happened, she took an experimental step forwards. She waited. Nothing. Kicking the door closed behind her, she darted forwards, tripping over the lazy gray wolf last minute and gripping the polished wooden banister for support. Dusty shot up growling before his piercing silver eyes settled on her. He immediately quit, but it didn’t matter now. They’d noticed. She let lose a loud groan, shoulders sagging in defeat. “Jasper Rylee!” She winced from the anger in her mother’s voice before turning it into a full-fledged glare, aimed at her beloved pet. “Really?” He whimpered, dragging his large, wet tongue rather unpleasantly down her leg. She forced a small half-smile, scratching the back of his fuzzy ears before heaving a sigh and turning to the corridor.

 

--

Yep. The topic of their newest argument was her. She leaned against the arched doorway, threading her thumbs through her belt loops as her eyes burrowed into her mothers with a stubborn, unforgiving stare. “What?” Dusty circled a select spot on the floor before plopping down and sighing, his breath fanning over the wooden flooring.

“What the hell are you wearing?” Her eyes flickered to her father, his new tank- ruined. It somehow miraculously hung by only a few select strands of fabric. The rest of it was torched. She rolled her eyes, her father could hardly keep himself in check. It was times like these, that the entire family simultaneously cursed his pride. The very pride that kept him sober for twelve straight years- the pride that caused two homes to burn within that short window of time. And by homes, she meant entire towns, school districts, counties. It was honestly ridiculous. When she didn’t answer, his eyes narrowed, followed by an unwise and daring step forward- One she immediately countered, meeting his threatening gaze with her own.

“Hey!” Her mother barked, making her father take an instant step back; Jasper smirked at his obedience, crossing her arms over her chest, but she didn’t move from her spot. She refused to submit. “Jasper, sit.”

She didn’t relent, keeping her gaze on her father. “No.”

Look at me,” Reluctantly, she drug her eyes to meet her mothers, begrudgingly. Catching sight of her fathers smugness, she flicked her thumb, smirking. The familiar crackle of a beautiful element left her with the new-found knowledge of her father crafting a wall of flame, defending himself against her attack. her head snapped to his as a wave of heat collapsed against her side, effectively ruining her shirt, igniting her skin. She turned, a bow of oranges and reds materializing in her hands, she took aim, crafting an arrow of the hottest flame- it’s lively blues flickering, licking her fingers as she aligned it, setting everything into place.

Just as she prepared to release, a sudden pain struck her abdomen and she gasped, fire dispersing as she dropped to her knees. Draping an arm across her stomach, her head snapped towards her mother and she grit her teeth in pain. Somewhere in the distance, a soft whimper drifted from ear to ear, drown out by pain as the pair crumpled to the floor. “ENOUGH!” Her mother snapped, “Jasper, you know what you’ve done, we know what you’ve done- You’re grounded. And you!” Though her vision was blurred and slightly yellowed, she could still make out her mothers frame, tripling with her quick, elegant movements, “Go have a bloody cigarette, Love! You’re going to kill yourself- bloody hell!” And with that, she stomped form the room, it wasn’t until the front door slammed shut that they were released.

They groaned simultaneously, Jasper shifting her weight to her bottom, pressing her shoulder blades against the doorway as her father lifted himself, body shaking as he crossed his legs under him before collapsing. “You really should smoke...” She inputted, watching as he subconsciously rubbed where his wife had “stabbed” him only moments before. At least it wasn’t a real wound this time, they were getting better... As completely demented as that sounded...

“I took an oath; with my blood.” He emphasized. She’d heard this speel enough times to be more than exasperated; still, she pushed forward.

“To stay away from alcohol, not nicotine.” His eyes rolled from the floor to hers, softening, warming, for a split second; just a second, before hardening once more. The gesture was more than enough. In the Everdeen family, that was equivalent to a hug or a present on christmas morning. It was an apology and an I love you all wrapped up in one.

She groaned as she pulled herself form the floor, crossing the room and stopping in front of her father. Casually, she extended a steady and and in that single movement, another message was sent and received, I forgive you. Can we forget this?

 

Her father’s gray eyes held hers as he brought his arm up, his hand engulfing hers, muscles contrasting in the poorly lit room as she hauled her old man to his feet. After he was stable enough to stand on his own, they elegantly and gracefully parted. Each wordlessly going about their separate ways, all previous events- forgotten.

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza

 

 

 

“Good Evening! And welcome to Sunny Side Up, what can I get for you?”

“Evening, love.” Bringing her eyes from her clip board, she was more than relieved to find a lovely young lady, and she flashed a polite smile in response, “I was told that you have mocha and pancakes here...” Jasper (courtesy of her parent’s relentless training) couldn’t help but noticed how the girl lightly bit her lip as she spoke, and the continuous, rhythmic thumping of her right foot against the nanolium- all probably old nervous habits. “Is-uh- Is there a distinct time for that?”

Jasper glanced over her shoulder before leaning on the table, dropping her voice to a low whisper, “You know, we quit serving at ten. But there’s a cafe not too far form here, it’s called Breakfast For Outcasts. They’re open twenty-four seven and they serve everything, all the time. Plus they’re not nearly as crowded.”

The young girl’s lovely grin was proved contagious as Jasper’s own lips betray her, pulling into a natural, yet unusual, smile. “They’re cheap too. But do me a favour and try to make it look like I’m not the reason for your absence.” She nodded.

“Waitress?” Her being tensed, that single word playing over and over in her mind. She closed her eyes, mentally willing the girl to further request her attention ‘COME ON!’ She chanted, ‘Tell me about your cats, dead father, ask me for directions, randomly burst into tears about your idiotic boyfriend who can’t see what’s right in front of him- but by all means, do not get out that phone and.....- Opening her eyes, she didn’t even try to stop them as they rolled clock wise around the room. Just her luck. Turning and forcing a bitter-sweet smile, she faced the American and started the long walk of ‘Please let this be a dream’... “I saw what you did there,” He inclined his head, gently bringing the young girl into their conversation. Jasper let her eyes stray to the girl, who was now busily texting away.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” The corners of his mouth tugged up into a lopsided grin and she found herself realizing, for the first time, how unjustly attractive this American was.

“Don’t you?”

“Afraid not.” Her response was bland, void of emotion and she cast her blank, expressionless eyes on him.

He stood from the booth and she stepped back, allowing him room. He placed a hand lightly on her shoulder, voice dropping to a whisper, “We’re not even,” he confessed, “Turns out, I owe you.” With that, he patted her shoulder once, his voice returning to its normal volume, “See ya ‘round, Everdeen.”

 

© 2013 EncoreDeZiza



© 2013 EncoreDeZiza


Author's Note

EncoreDeZiza
Under Editing- Sorry

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on September 3, 2013
Last Updated on September 3, 2013


Author

EncoreDeZiza
EncoreDeZiza

Narnia, Neverland, United Kingdom



About
Oooooo! A visitor!!! Lol, hello lovely, I'm Zi. I guess I should start by saying that I am, in fact, not from the UK, nope. I lied. I'm from the states, I only lied because when I put US down I had a .. more..

Writing