The Day I Fell in Love

The Day I Fell in Love

A Story by Andrea Di Martino
"

For Eloise

"

The world as I know it did not end on the twenty first of December in Twenty-Twelve. For me, it changed completely five days before, because that is the day I fell in love with you.

 

That day seemed so ordinary. It was a cold rainy one in Boston, almost sleeting, not so uncommon for a winter's day in New England. I got out of bed at what passes for early for a person who works the night shift. I cleaned my apartment and fed my two cats, Ray Charles and Johnny Cash. They did not know the world was about to change either. 


Then I packed my laundry into my bright green bag with the wheels on it and pulled it up the hill in the cold rain to the laundromat. I had bought a packet of Tide Stain Fighter/Color Booster and thought that finally managing to get the grease stain out of my favorite shirt would be the most exciting event of the day. You see, I did not know what was happening seventy-five miles away.

 

I went to the gym, forty five minutes on the treadmill and thirty on the bike and by the time I was done with that I was hungry for my dinner so I went home and made myself some Kraft three cheese macaroni and cheese (the kind with the shell shaped pasta) and watched some Christmas specials from my DVR. Turns out, the two I picked (the First Christmas Snow and 'Twas the Night Before Christmas) were your mom's favorites when she was a little girl. Maybe part of me knew something was changing.

 

Around eight o'clock, I remembered that I has some shopping to do, so I put my favorite Christmas album on my ipod and headed back out into the rain. I went to Marshalls and bought a new pair of jeans, some chocolate covered oreos and a package of Christmas crackers (plaid ones, plaid is quite popular with us, as you will come to know). And right in the middle of Meg Hutchinson's rendition of O Holy Night, my phone buzzed in my pocket, the world changed, and I fell in love; completely, unmistakably irrevocably in love. With you.

© 2013 Andrea Di Martino


Author's Note

Andrea Di Martino
This is a short story I wrote about and for my neice who was born yesterday, 16 Dec 12). I wrote this completely for her, so she knows how much she is loved from the moment of her birth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on December 17, 2012
Last Updated on January 21, 2013

Author

Andrea Di Martino
Andrea Di Martino

South Boston, MA



About
I live in South Boston. I grew up here in Massachusetts. Several years ago i was diagnosed with major depression (cliche i know) but before that i nearly killed myself. I am a recovering self m.. more..

Writing