Bizarre Rituals...

Bizarre Rituals...

A Story by Esha

As years pass on after the glorious Independence, India still stands where it was. Though we have succeeded so much say in various feilds, but people dont stop doing the most whimsical rituals the so called superstitions!

Superstition is just a sensless fear of God. Last night when i was just surfing through the channels I came up across the most horrible site. People living in small villages of both Karnataka and Andra Pradesh perform some very sulky ritual. They first peirce their backs then an iron hook is put inside and the person is made to swing high up in the air at about 30-35 ft. then he/she is made public in whole village. People say that in this way they thank their God for fulfilling their wishes.

Another story is from the Amravati region of Maharashtra, people throw themselves in a bush of thorn saying that it pleases their God Bhishm.
In a shocking incident, a daily wage labourer named Afizuddin Ali married his teenage daughter and made her pregnant, citing "divine sanction" at Kashiajhora village in Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal.
Psychiatrists say that there can be a long term effect on their body as well as their mind.One can submit any number of such macabre but true stories in support of the contention that we are a superstitious nation.

I accept that praying to god is certainly not superstitious, its very obvious that we pray to god after achieving some success and before starting some auspicious task here in India...but mind it it should not be confused with the superstitious rituals that are performed.Doing some unhealthy practices and giving justification that it is done in order to please god or to thank him is totally useless.

Even after 62 years of independence people in small villages are still not able to differentiate themselves from the useless rituals to this modern scientific world. At one end we say that that we are developing but no one cares about the huamn loss which is caused by such bizzare practices instead of stoping them the district officials or rather say any governmental officials are giving promotion, boost to such unnaturals activities which are just causing increase in backwardness among village people.

© 2009 Esha


Author's Note

Esha
ignaore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Don't know. Some of the hidden culture do better with their people then the great countries where we allow hunger and violence. I travel to remote places in the world. Always kind and gentle people. I did meet. Tattoos on our bodies. Piercing everywhere. We haven't gone too far. A interesting story. Thank you for your story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

why to higlight only the backwaters of india ? look at the honour killings that's happening in the capital city of india !! ain't it a kinda superstition ?? i mean can't people of two different castes live together , procreate and have a happy family ? the upper strata of our society easily indulges in inter caste or inter gotra marriages but no one creates a fuss over that . its common people like us who are bonded by the sick ethos of this society who suffer . who can justify the inability of two young innocent loving hearts to live together just because they don't share a common surname !! sorry to say but i am ashamed of being an Indian

Posted 13 Years Ago


so true.... good flow to the article











Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Don't know. Some of the hidden culture do better with their people then the great countries where we allow hunger and violence. I travel to remote places in the world. Always kind and gentle people. I did meet. Tattoos on our bodies. Piercing everywhere. We haven't gone too far. A interesting story. Thank you for your story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 8, 2009

Author

Esha
Esha

Pune , India



Writing
Early Excitment Early Excitment

A Chapter by Esha