The Deep Is Not Empty

The Deep Is Not Empty

A Poem by Esoteric Strand

Sometimes,
one has to feel their way out:
lingering fingers over jagged stones,
rubbed raw and ragged, ground down to the
nubs.

Sometimes,
one has to fail their way out:
no epic crash of thunder...just blunder.
Look after the leap. Stutter as you speak.
(shudder)

Sometimes,
one has to flail all about:
a scream from me wouldn’t mean anything.
Exactly like frowning while drowning.
I tell myself this as the water fills my
mouth.

I mull over the dulled hand of a
sloppily-drawn, vaguely human, blur.
Is it here to help me? So moody and submerged.
No shock, underwater, everything looks blue

© 2011 Esoteric Strand


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

After reading this and being able to see it so well with the imagery you used, it felt as though a realist were speaking, describing the blunt truth of things. Great job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


must've been raining in that alley. Imagery is easy, attaching feeling and texture to the image is talent. You have that talent. Great piece Enzo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really didn't find this painful like the some others have pointed out. The exact expeience I can't put my hand on, but the first three stanzas are as a matter of factly put, pointing out some of the truths about existence that cant be ignored because that is how we learn and grow, kind of school of hard knocks style. And just when we are about to blink out there is something there to pull us out, and we are stronger for the experience. I don't know. Could have it totally wrong, but this is what I got from it...and I loved it. Solid writing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
?
I read this and I feel the pain that you write about. Think eveyone has been in this place a time or two. Kinda there right now. Sometimes it feels like there is no way out, but I have found that there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
It's just getting to the end thats hard.
You have made the reader feel what you have written
Wonderfully written

Posted 13 Years Ago


Feel the pain and agony! Love the images!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Good stuff. The fightless struggle and flightless panic jump from the page. I have been there...I know it doesn't compute, but, sometimes I feel like drowning is safer than grabbing that outstretched, water-blurred hand. Brilliant use of extended metaphor. Gritty in its honest plunge into the complex and often senseless tumblings of human reasoning. I felt it.
Cheers!

Posted 13 Years Ago


what about the times when one has to fly their way out? :) there are such times either. although not with your mouth full of water, indeed. *clears voice* seriously now, this has a nice way of pointing to the philosophic resignation of the one who fails. and it also made me think about the Titanic.
and i liked the overall imagery woven inside my mind. very nicely done!


Posted 13 Years Ago


My friend...rarely have I seen poetry as beautiful as this is....An ode to the human spirit that circumvents obstacles and humiliation and charts a way of its own...

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this, we all flail, fail and just sometimes we scale the high mountains, and come up with something worthwhile, something that defines us, that belongs to no one else, such is poetry, such is this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Sometimes we fail upwards.
Sometimes we question the message and let it take us somewhere.
I say relinquish control, because then you get to contemplate the message of excellent poetry like this piece.

Nice work sir

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

459 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 15, 2011
Last Updated on March 2, 2011

Author

Esoteric Strand
Esoteric Strand

Fresno, CA



About
Originally from Fresno, California. Inspirations come from a wide array of sources: nature, faith, fatherhood, the occult, mythology, pop culture and Italian horror movies. GENERAL LIKES: Blac.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broken Broken

A Poem by OT


Monday In My Eye Monday In My Eye

A Poem by OT


Her Her

A Poem by OT