Chapter 9- Do you ever get lonely?

Chapter 9- Do you ever get lonely?

A Chapter by Esther Night

I didn’t know where my parents were. I didn’t feel like I wanted to be around a happy family like the Edwards. I didn’t want to be alone. I didn’t know where else to go.   


So I knocked on Donovan’s apartment door.  I didn’t know what I was going to say to him. I just felt like needed to be there.


He opened the door.


“Hi” I squealed. “I’m sorry for bugging you…I’m…I hope I’m not interpreting anything…” as I started to enter I saw one of the social studies teachers.


“Hey Ms. Tomkins is here” I waved.


Donovan smirked “I know”


I saw that there wine glasses and plates on his coffee table. I had interpreted them on a date. Great.


“Oh…I’m sorry.”


She got up off his brown couch, “I’m going”


I felt a little bad, “No you don't have to go”


She kissed Donovan on the cheek “We’ll talk” she said coldly as she walked out.


“So you two together?” I nervously smiled to try to find a subject to talk about.


Donovan closed the door “I really don't know right now. Now what are you doing out this late?”


“Um…” I put my hand over my mouth and try to figure out what to say. I wanted somebody to vent to. “My dad and I have been looking for my mom…and I had this thought…” 


He looked at me with kindness and understanding. It made me feel nervous, too nervous to bring up… well everything. Instead I made up a lie.


“You know that…um…Mick Twain guy…when are we going to read his stuff.”


“I think that juonir year” Donovan nodded.


“Good, um I hear he’s good.” I shook.


He raised his eyebrows, “You came here for that?”

“Well you’re an English teacher so I figure there was no else I could ask.” I laughed nervously.


I took a look at the empty plates and the bowl of pasta on his kitchen table. “Wow, you guys were having a nice dinner.”


“Yea, there’s plenty if you’re hungry” He nicely offered.


“No I ate” I lied. The truth was that I’ve not eaten anything but two bites of my lurch and that Alfredo looked pretty good. 


Then I grabbed the bowl, “I might pick at it.” I said stuffing some in mouth.


I sat down across from me and asked, “So where are you staying?”


“The motel down the street.”


“Are you sure you are to be okay there?”


I put on a fake smile, “Yea, the guy gave me clean sheets and everything.”


“You could cash here if you want?”


“No, we already paid for the TV.” I nervously laughed thinking about my experience with motel’s television, which was still running though my head.


Donovan smiled, “Well then why don’t go eat on the couch while I clean up the table.”


“Okay” I nodded as I went on stuffing my mouth and laid on his couch. It felt kind of cozy and warm. I started to remember that I was tried.


My eyes started to closed and drifted off to sleep.

*****

In the morning Donovan woke me up “Hey Hunter, Happy Saturday” he cheered.


After I rubbed my eyes, I realized I was still on his couch. “Oh Sorry” I said jumping off.


Donovan patted my shoulder, “Don’t be sorry. So you hungry?”


“Yea” I nodded


“Well I make a mean cheese omelet.”


I smiled and nodded.

***

I sat his at kitchen table while he cooked. He put the two plates of food on the table and in across from me.


“I’m sorry I ruined your date with Ms. Tomkins” I said talking a bite.


He swallowed a bite then smiled, “You didn’t do anything. I ruined it before you showed up.”


“What happened?” I asked with a mouth full of egg.


He was quiet for a few seconds, “Fine I guess I need to talk to someone about it…Katie had this thing about saying ‘I love you’, and she was  talking all this settling down stuff.”


“Do you want to that?”


“Want what?”


I smirked “You know all wife and kids stuff?”


We both took another bite.


“To be honest, I don’t know. I like kids I am a teacher for god sake. I just think maybe I’m so used to just  taking care of myself…that I’m scared of taking care of someone else…I don’t know. You know what I mean Hunter?”


I nodded “Yea”


He took a slip of his coffee, “It’s just sometimes I don’t know the difference between being independent and being alone.”


I dropped my fork, hearing him talk about being alone really pulled a string on my heart. “Do you ever get lonely?” I asked.


He finished off his omelet, “Yea, I do” He shook his head then put on a smile, “Anyway Hunter, I talked to Edwards’s dad this morning.  He wants you to go over there, so we can all have a talk about your dad?”


I finished my food, “So…how did Mr. Edwards sound?”


“He was scared. He's really worried about you kid.”


I nodded “So um…Can I ride on your motorcycle?”


He laughed “Yea, but you are wearing my helmet.”


We got up from the table; Donovan went to go get his helmet.


I stood there thinking. So everybody has to have a town meeting to figure out who gets me. Then I started thinking of the “what ifs”? What if I never saw my mom again? What if I never saw my dad again? What if the Edwards didn’t want me? There was so uncertainly around me, about my family, my feelings, and even my home.


“Hunter” Donovan said noticing the worried look on my face. I felt his arms being wrapped around me. I was shocked and confused for a moment.  Then I realized something…he was giving me a hug.


“Everything is going to be okay” He whispered to me. He let go of me and stared into eyes, “Me and the Edwards and everybody else that cares about you are going to make this okay.”     







© 2014 Esther Night


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on October 30, 2013
Last Updated on June 17, 2014

It wasn't me