Chapter 1: "bring in 65"

Chapter 1: "bring in 65"

A Chapter by Esther Night

He walked around in circles in the darkness. A flash of light busted, a pair of glass appeared floating without a face.

           

“It’s time to bring in 65” a deep voice commands “Do you read me 66?” 


“Yes, sir” answered a younger, lighter voice “Tomorrow”.


 Another flash of light shined, the glasses disappeared leaving him alone in the dark.


************

Jake Patterson woke up feeling odd. He was tall, about 6 feet 3, wide, and tan skinned, with black hair and brown eyes.


He put on his glasses and called to his mom “Mom is something wrong?”


His mother came in her black hair tied back in a ponytail wearing a flower print apron and started to shake.


“No honey what could be wrong?” she shrived.


He got out of bed the said, “Huh! I feel a change coming on.”


His mother smiled “Well sometimes change can be a good thing.”


She walked out her brown eyes watering. He never saw his mom crying like that in his 17 years, sure she may have been overprotective and not this emotional. The sound of her sobs scared him more. His dad’s face popped out from the hallway, his dad wasn’t ever that emotional, he had a huge brain, so filled with facts and figures that Jake always thought there was no room for deep emotions. He never thought of him as mean or cold, he was caring and nice just not as nurturing as his mom.


“Jake you need to start getting ready for school,” His dad said.


“What’s going on?” Jake questioned.


“You will know soon,” he said before walking out.


Jake sat there in bed afraid, but he did what he was told. As his feet touched the cold hard floor, he heard a beam, he swore a light flashed on him. He pressed on uneasy on the way to school wearing a plain black T-shirt, jeans, and his black backpack.


***

As he walked through the dark, noise filled school hallways, he worried about what the day would bring. He went his locker, locker 3519, the one with milt-color gum all over it. It was nothing new. He was low on the food chain in the habitat of high school.


He always tried not to let it brother him, he knew they were trying to tear him down, to hide what big losers they were. While digging for his math book. A girl walked up behind him she was light skinned and about 5 feet 3, had her long brown hair in pig tales and big brown eyes behind a pair of round glasses, wearing a dragon t shirt and black jeans with a camouflage backpack.


“DRAGONS” she yelled then laughed.


Jake turned around “Oh hey Kate”.


He said half heartily Kate looked up at him.


“You okay?” she asked.


He put his head down “I feel like something bad is going to happen”.


Kate Anderson, Jake’s best friend since… well since always he had never imaged his life without her. They were next door neighbors, their parents knew each other, and they just grew up together. He could always count on Kate when he was in need, he had always shared everything with her. Kate always had a way to make him laugh.


Kate stepped back and smiled then put her arms in air.


“Give me a J” she cheered.


“J” she said in a deep voice in a clap.


“Give mean A”


“A” she went on.


“Give me a K”


“K”


“Give me an E”


"E"

“What’s that spell? JAKE” she finished jumping up and down.


Jake exploded with laughter “You’re such a dork”.


 Kate smiled and bowed “Thank you! Thank you very much! So why were you so sad? ”


Jake took a breath, “ I feel something strange is going on , I’m having strange dreams, I’m hearing beeps, and.. this morning my mom was crying, and nobody would tell anything”


 For a second he saw worry on Kate’s face. Kate’s face quickly changed to a smiled.


“Well she’ll be okay! ....So do you want come over after school?” She asked.


“Of course” Jake answered.


The two walked down the hallway. When from far behind one of the “want to be gangsters” screamed “Hey Homo!”


Then he threw an apple at Jake’s head. Jake ducked then swung his arm to avoid it but when his hand touched the apple he sliced it into two even halves. As the apple hit the floor the crowd pause then looked at Jake with their jaws dropped.


Jake gasped “What happed?” he wondered.


Kate looked away laughing at first then look worried. “Jake, let’s get to class” she pulled his arm.


His mouth dropped “Kate, something… well very very odd just happened here and to me. What, why, and how would I slice an apple with my bare hands?” he asked her.


She whispered to him “It was probably some trick apple”. Then she went off to her next class.


But Jake couldn't get it off mind.



© 2017 Esther Night


Author's Note

Esther Night
please be honest! Thank you for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

261 Views
Added on March 25, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2017