Homage

Homage

A Story by ettorney
"

A love letter.

"
She's all mine. 



As possessive and sexist a statement that may be it is none-the-less true. She's all mine. Not because I wooed her. Not because I took her or coerced her into falling for my charms although during our courting I did "bring out my best" as she brought out hers. Simply because I say it does not make the statement so.



She is not mine in that I own her body or can control her mind. She is not mine because I said some words on a certain day and she wears a ring on her finger that I gave to her. She is not mine because she bore my children. 



No.



She's mine because she says so.



Her mind. Her body. Our children. Her time and attention. Her self. These are all gifts she has given to me.



She gave them to me to hold, together, like carrying two sides of a baby carrier walking out of the hospital with our new born so many years ago. She gave them to me then, not knowing, but believing, that I would care for her gifts with love and careful caresses and hoping for, even wanting, nudges when she needed them. Trusting, in no small way, that I would care for her better than she sometimes cared for herself. 



As the years passed time had validated her trust and little by little, moment by moment, she received them back. Each bit of her self that was regained emancipated her from her preconceived, familiar and comfortable notions of wife and mother. She grew stronger, more independent and found satisfaction, purpose and joy outside of all she had given her family. But she didn't have to take.

She only had to receive and in that reception we grew closer.



When she trusted me with her gift she gave it all to me. 



She's all mine. 



I gave her the only thing I had that was worthy of such gift. I gave her back to herself.



And when she had regained her confidence, centered her chi, and found contentment, I selfishly asked her to follow my dream. I asked her to come here to Abu Dhabi. All she knew, all she had gained and the wholeness she had achieved she would set aside so that she could once again give to me what she had given so many years ago.

© 2010 ettorney


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a story that gives those of us yet to hold onto love right a little more hope. Hope that it can be that two people both care enough to give to one another, to work together to build their dreams, little by little. Oh, it's just beautiful, wise, and very heartfelt. The read was much enjoyed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh, wow. So few know the beauty of what you both have. This is fabulous. Your writing is warm and tells a wonderful story. Nicely done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ahhh. You are one of the few who 'get it' and you are so much better for the knowing. Your writing reflects the gift you have been given; 'And her reply' and this one are the pieces of the puzzle, fitting together, as one. Very, very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a love letter I wrote to my wife after reflecting on the enormity of her acquiescence to move to the Middle East back in 2009. Her reply to this letter is published in my writing as "And This is Her Reply".

Enjoy.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Spoken in this context, 'Shes all mine ' is not in the least sexist .. it is loving and a proud statement made.. this is beautiful to many to hear such words.. as you said not because of ownership or a ring and a ceremony .. just because she choose too, chooses you to give her all too.. Very loving and the title is wonderful.

Enjoyed very much,,

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


That is a wonderful write. You have captured the true essense of what it is to truly give yourself to another person...Beautiful.

"I gave her the only thing I had that was worthy of such gift.
I gave her back to herself.'

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a story that gives those of us yet to hold onto love right a little more hope. Hope that it can be that two people both care enough to give to one another, to work together to build their dreams, little by little. Oh, it's just beautiful, wise, and very heartfelt. The read was much enjoyed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A lesson in love rhat I was never taught as a young person... follow the dreams of the one you love, so that your own dreams may be fulfilled.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2010
Last Updated on May 9, 2010

Author

ettorney
ettorney

Chicago, IL



About
I love to write. I love the process of writing. I’ve been gone from writing for a decade! Time to get back on the horse, don’t ya think? Although not perfect myself, I hate bad gra.. more..

Writing
Too Chicago Too Chicago

A Poem by ettorney



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..