William Tell Missed

William Tell Missed

A Poem by ettorney

I stood and waited
Trembling with fear
Bouyed by the trust
Placed in his love for me.
Relying on his skill.

I hear the click of the hammer
As he aimed and exhaled slowly.
I did too and felt the strength of his gaze
The force of his concentration.

An instant. A microsecond.
I see the bullet in slow motion
Then feel the pulp of my brain
Splash violently out of my head.

I see him shouting, "No!"
And I wonder, "Did William Tell ever miss?"

© 2010 ettorney


Author's Note

ettorney
Welcome back squirrel.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

an interesting disconnect here. we start with an endearing stanza of trust, followed with a stanza of action, then one of explicit gore, then an almost humerous ending, that we feel bad chuckling at. It leaves me feeling like i've been through a whirlwind. there are certainly many ways to read and read into this. definitely leaves me thinking.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like this! My initial thought was one of an exhibition-style shooting gone terribly wrong, but then it started taking on so many other forms.

It made me want to turn it into a metaphor for a relationship gone wrong with one person hurt/damaged due to the carelessness of a spouse, loved one, or friend.

Then I put it in a more sinister context where is wasn't sport or metaphor, but murder. The William Tell reference in the last line reads more ironically, and I thought that was pretty interesting.

You make your reader think and feel.

Awesome poem as always, sir.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow. So graphic and moving. And the ending is the cherry on top. Brilliant work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ouch!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Clever :)
A great poem for the image!
Macabre and well written love!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


very nice. starting with trepidation and building till.... great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
A clever and dark piece, with a twist...you have me chuckling..although I feel that I shouldn't..those last moments captured wonderfully..

Posted 13 Years Ago


The first stanza really had me hooked. This is great, perfectly descriptive, and I love the ending.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The last line makes me think of 'famous last thoughts' as opposed to 'famous last words' - if we could ever know what goes through someone's head at the moment of such a death (other than the bullet itself, that is). Contrasted with the famous William Tell story, this brings reality up against romance in a clinical, slightly disturbing manner. The description of the bullet striking the head has a graphic starkness in comparison to the euphoric and heroic outcome of William Tell's shot. And the fact that this time it is a bullet and not an arrow brings this modern realisation of a similar tale into sharp relief. The impression one is left with is one that appeals to a realist like me: for all the love, trust, and romance of the human imagination, how many times out of ten would such a positive outcome as Tell's story really occur in the real world? This is romance versus reality - and reality, of course, wins. And this is probably why people so love to believe in such tales as that of William Tell.
Good and interesting stuff.

Posted 13 Years Ago


great play on all the senses
every line felt unexpected
liked it


Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

426 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 21, 2010
Last Updated on August 25, 2010

Author

ettorney
ettorney

Chicago, IL



About
I love to write. I love the process of writing. I’ve been gone from writing for a decade! Time to get back on the horse, don’t ya think? Although not perfect myself, I hate bad gra.. more..

Writing
Too Chicago Too Chicago

A Poem by ettorney



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..