Identity

Identity

A Story by Evelyn
"

A man struggling with his identity

"

Tymme looked annoyed. The woman on the other side must be deaf he thought. Or was she being deliberate about his name.

“Yes, of course I am damn sure about the spelling. By the way, what the hell do you care about my name my dear lady?” He snarled at the woman with irritation.

“Sorry, Sir. Your ticket has been booked. Thank you for choosing Sri Lankan Air.”

Tymme dashed the phone receiver. “Bloody Sri Lanka.”

The thought of visiting his homeland hauled Tymme forcibly, back to his young days that he had squashed down consciously.

 

The Colombo hospitals were swarmed with crowds wounded and battling with death, on the day Tissa Yoland Madhavan Marasinghe Easwaranathan entered to light, but only to see danger. If the little one had known the reality outside him, maybe he would have preferred to be safe in the dark than the glowing threats outside. Riots.

“Mama, I can’t go to school.” Tissa screamed at the top of his voice. “Everyone laughs at me no. Why did you do this to me Ma?”

“What Putha now, do what?”

“My name men. I just hate it.” Tissa sat on the cemented floor holding his head.

“Listen Tissa, you are now fourteen and must try to understand. It was for your own safety. If you had only seen what had happened on the day you were born.” Tissa’s mother narrated in a moaning voice.

“But aren’t there others like me, who just have simple names. You on one side. Papa recites something else. And why do I have to carry Grandpa’s names. Mama this is too much. You know what. I am going to change my name soon.”

“No, you are not. You need these names if you want to be safe here. Don’t forget you have mixed parents. You might face threats from all sides mahan.” She said ‘’mahan’ when she wanted to please her son. Tissa liked to be called ‘mahan’. His mother said it differently. Not like a Tamil mother would pronounce it. Yet he loved to hear say it.

“All for your own convenience.” Tissa walked off not bothering to see the expression on his mothers face.

“Ayubowan Sir.” The air hostess greeted Tymme.

“Good evening” he replied, wondering why they couldn’t simply add the word “Vanakkam”.

Why do I have to go there? Tymme thought to himself. He was visiting Sri Lanka after thirteen long years.

“It’s peaceful here now” His parents had told him. Tymme didn’t bother anyway.

“From where do you come Sir?” The Customs intruding with their usual questions.

“London.”

“Why did you go there, Sir?”

“That’s where I live.”

“Oh! So aren’t you Sri Lankan?” The Officer lowered his glasses and looked at Tymme closely.

“No.” Tymme collected his passport and moved to give room for the next. “You look like one.” He heard the other say softly.

Tymme pretended not to have heard.

 

 

 “Where do you come from young man? And what is your name” Tymme remembered the words of his Professor in London.

“I used to be Tissa Yoland Madhavan Marasinghe Easwaranathan from Sri Lanka. But not anymore Sir. My name is Tymme. T-Y-M-M-E ”

Tymme laughed with pride.

 

 

 

 

© 2018 Evelyn


Author's Note

Evelyn
I want to critiques on my writing please - for improvement

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice idea but it was not very easy to read. I had to go over it a number of times to understand it.


Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

47 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 25, 2018
Last Updated on February 25, 2018

Author

Evelyn
Evelyn

Colombo, Western, Sri Lanka



About
Creative, Enthusiastic, Passionate Writer - who brings out life's realities into rhythmic tones more..

Writing
Life Life

A Poem by Evelyn


A plea A plea

A Poem by Evelyn


Who I AM Who I AM

A Poem by Evelyn