Hate

Hate

A Poem by Evelynn

The words spin around the room
Words that I know you've said
Never to me, only to my friends
Words on how you wish I was dead
I can't even be upset at you
After all, I know I caused it
All this hate and rage you feel
Is fueled by a spark I lit
I wish I could hate right back
But how could I when you matter so much to me
When I care for you more than I ever knew
Because after all this time, I finally see
That you mean the most to me

© 2018 Evelynn


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This has such potential to be a fantastic poem! The concept is strong and emotional, and I think you have included the perfect amount of detail that isn’t over explanatory, yet still gets the ideas across.

One of the areas that I think could use improvement is your word choice. Throughout the poem you could exchange some of your wording, so you are not using so many words like “even” and “all”, that don’t hold a whole lot of meaning. I understand how these words feel important because they add emotion, but I would suggest trying out different ways to add emotion to each line.

I honestly do think this poem is a gem that could be really something amazing and I think this is a fantastic start. The feelings are starting to come through and the concept is depicted well.

“I wish I could hate right back” Is my favorite line!

I enjoyed exploring this concept and I hope you continue to edit and mold it to perfection!


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow! so sad to see but to finally see. Never to late to forgive and bring back the love. Nicely expressed.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
Hey the mean behind this is very deep are you okay do you want to talk? Other than that it sounds great I mean it okay.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

I'm fine thank you
I am visiting for the first time ..usually i read a persons oldest posted work...but such a simply stated title hooked me "Hate" what a powerful destructive emotion! I think you give enough framework for readers to hang their own details on .. plain language and straight forward statements, for me, build tension and emotion as i relate it to my own life ... i like it! you have a lot of fine critiques below to change things if you want to ... we can all , always improve our writings ... i like it as is ... had no thought to change this or that ... the bare bones is plenty to draw me in emotionally and intellectually
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you!!
this reminds me how awful hate is. its such a waste and only hurts ourselves. things have a way of coming full-circle. when you love someone, you can't even hate them when you want to. love is stronger than hate and trumps it ... :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


For me poetry is not about the writing technique, it's about capturing a moment, a mood or an emotion. You captured that feeling of bafflement when emotions are mismatched and we can't get them aligned.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
Your words portray the courage to accept blame and learn from your experience. There is pleading in your words to have understanding. Your poem deals with the complexities of a true relationship. Your rises the emotions of the reader and makes them take pause to look at themselves.
Peace,
Richie b.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
This has such potential to be a fantastic poem! The concept is strong and emotional, and I think you have included the perfect amount of detail that isn’t over explanatory, yet still gets the ideas across.

One of the areas that I think could use improvement is your word choice. Throughout the poem you could exchange some of your wording, so you are not using so many words like “even” and “all”, that don’t hold a whole lot of meaning. I understand how these words feel important because they add emotion, but I would suggest trying out different ways to add emotion to each line.

I honestly do think this poem is a gem that could be really something amazing and I think this is a fantastic start. The feelings are starting to come through and the concept is depicted well.

“I wish I could hate right back” Is my favorite line!

I enjoyed exploring this concept and I hope you continue to edit and mold it to perfection!


Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A couple of things worth mentioning:

First, you, someone the reader knows nothing about, are talking to someone not introduced, about things we know nothing about. A reader might nod and say, "That's a shame," but you can't involve them emotionally because they lack context. Problem is, readers come to you for an emotional, not an informational experience. The trick isn't to talk TO them, but to make THEM feel the emotions the protagonist is, for the same reasons.

In line with the above, look at the first two lines as a reader, who has only what the words suggest to them, based on their background:
- - - - -
The words spin around the room
Words that I know you've said
- - - - -
"The words?" From a reader's viewpoint, unless we know who's speaking, who they're speaking to, and the subject, what can it mean to a reader? how can words spin around they're unknown and what brought them unknown? Further mystifying it, this person hasn't heard the words, personally, so it's hearsay. They only "know" that the words were probably said (might not be what you mean, but it is what you said).

You know the story behind the story, of course, of course, and because you have context, automatically "fill in the blanks." But pity the poor reader. That's why you need to edit from the viewpoint of a reader who knows only what the words seem to suggest to any given point, based on what went before, not after. Because of that, they don't know that you're going to explain a line later. And, since we can't either retroactively remove confusion, or create a second first impression, you might want to rethink the order of presentation, so as to present a self-guiding trail of context to make the words meaningful to the reader as-they-read.

Next, If you're going to rhyme, as you did in L2 and L4, then continue, because the reader expects that. The alternative is to avoid it. Take a look at the excerpt from Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less Traveled, on Amazon. It has some really interesting things to say about the flow of language, prosody, and poetic structure.

Sorry my news isn't better. But the things I mentioned are part of the learned part of poetry—the tricks of the trade—not a matter of good or bad writing, or talent. So do some digging into them. And whatever you do, hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Einstein Noodle

5 Years Ago

sorry to but in here...please forgive...Jay... i hear all you are saying but the first three lines f.. read more
It's a quote- people who love you the most will hurt you the most. This fact goes well with this poem, you have expressed your thoughts really nice.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Evelynn

5 Years Ago

Thank you!
Najam Us Saher

5 Years Ago

You're welcome.
I am not a poetry reviewer, but the line "After all, I know caused it" reads like a mistake to me it should be either "After all, I caused it" or "After all, I know I caused it"

Overall, I think you summed up just about every relationship I've had after its love/lust/impetus dries up.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

616 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 21, 2018
Last Updated on December 7, 2018

Author

Evelynn
Evelynn

Roanoke, VA



About
Chaotic Neutral Mediocre at Best Not an Actual Writer more..

Writing
my my

A Poem by Evelynn


sonic gang sonic gang

A Poem by Evelynn


Bye My First Bye My First

A Poem by Evelynn



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Broke up Broke up

A Poem by Jes' Pi