A Not So Happy Father's Day (edited)

A Not So Happy Father's Day (edited)

A Chapter by Evil_Angel
"

Hi guys i know its been a while, I edited this chapter and would love some constructive feedback, I REALLY want to try and publish this so anything you can give me would be great thanks!

"

A not so Happy Fathers Day

 

Ch 1

 

 

            "Welcome Mr. Whitlock," the Maitre De of Ruth's Chris Steakhouse greeted Kent personally.  “I am deeply sorry for the loss you recently suffered.  Your father Kenneth was one of our most valued customers at our restaurant.

 

“Thank you,” Kent replied as he averted his green eyes.  He hated this whole spectacle of the Maitre De greeting him, even if he meant well.

 

“Is there anything in particular you’d like today?  I’m sure you are aware we will prepare it even if it is not on the menu.


              "Thank you.  Just Chateau Margaux 1995 please," Kent ordered flawlessly.


"Of course, I remember your father ordering the same wine, and what about something to eat?”


"Just the drink please,” Kent replied in a rush to get drunk.


"Right," the Maitre de nodded and disappeared into the kitchen.


            Kent gazed around the room, and as usual everyone was staring at him.

 

“Goodness, I can’t believe he is out like this by himself, and on Father’s Day,” a woman sitting across the room in a tweed Chanel suit whispered to her friend.

 

“That whole real estate company is going crash with that kid running the show,” a man sitting two tables away claimed not so discreetly.

 

Kent self consciously pushed back a strand of black hair that fell in his face.  He was used to people talking about him or his father, but today all he wanted to do was block it out.  As much as he wanted to honor his dad by going out on Father’s Day, he was now having regrets and just wanted to go home.

 

Kenneth Whitlock used to be the most prestigious real estate tycoon in Los Angeles. He designed and built several Hollywood homes, many of which were custom made for celebrities. With Kenneth's photo posted all over Hollywood, the Whitlock family had become something of celebrities themselves. If Kent ever made an appearance in a Hollywood night club or restaurant, it would be on the front page of the newspaper the next day. His male model looks didn't seem to hurt either.

 

About a month ago Kenneth Whitlock had a heart attack and passed away unexpectedly. He was only fifty two years old and had left his son with everything, which was more of a burden than it seemed. While Kent was quite knowledgeable in real estate, the business of running the company his father built from the ground was a lot of pressure for a twenty four year old that had never worked a day in his life. Losing his father still felt surreal, and today on Fathers Day he wanted to somehow reconcile with himself by dining at his dads favorite restaurant, but it seemed to be having the opposite effect.


            He loosened his Hugo Boss white tie a little bit to try and relieve the tension he felt, but with all eyes piercing through him it wasn’t working.   All he wanted to do was immerse in the light-weight black cherry flavor of the wine that he was now waiting impatiently for. Finally, for what seemed like hours, the waitress arrived.  In an attempt to avoid more stares, Kent began sending text messages on his Blackberry and didn't bother looking up.


"Here you go Sir," she said as she carefully poured the bottle of wine into a glass.  Out of the corner of his eye Kent could see gorgeous dark red tendrils of hair floating above the table.


"It's such a nice day today, perfect Fathers Day weather," the waitress babbled on while pouring. As she leaned forward her hair brushed his wrist, and she tucked it behind her ear.

 

"I haven't seen this place so busy since- oh no! Oh crap!" she shrieked as the large bottle toppled out of her hands. The nearly black liquid spilled onto Kent's white tie and onto his Blackberry instantly breaking it. That certainly caused him to look up.


"I am so sorry!" the waitress apologized over and over.  She pulled a dish towel out of her apron and desperately tried to clean the mess.


Kent was just about to express his irritation, but became too dumbfounded to speak, and it wasn't just from the cold drink. He continued to study her as panic glimmered throughout her eyes. Unlike most redheads, she had sun kissed skin and only a few freckles that dotted her slim arms.  He wondered what nationality she was, and if her deep auburn hair color was natural.  It reminded him of autumn.


"Erica!" a manager tore off across the room bright red with anger. If only half of the room was staring before, now everyone was looking.


"Do you realize you just spilled a thousand dollar bottle of wine all over one of our most favored clients?" he hissed like he was about to attack.


"I..," the nearly in tears waitress attempted.


"You are an idiot.  Don't even think about getting paid this week, it’s coming out of your paycheck."


"But you don't even pay me that much!" she protested almost laughing.


"Get out of my sight," he replied waving her off.  "I’m Lewis, one of the managers here.  My deepest apologies Mr. Whitlock, the girl is a complete dimwit.” 

 

Out of all the years dining here, Kent had never seen this guy before, and even though the girl screwed up, Lewis seemed like a royal a*****e.

 

By now the Maitre de had heard about this and arrived at the scene, but much more calmly than the uptight manager. 

 

“Would you like another bottle Sir? It will be free of charge of course,” he offered.


Kent hardly heard them as he followed the girl with his eyes.

 

"Mr. Whitlock?” the manager asked.


"No thank you," Kent said distantly and stood up.  He stuffed his demolished Blackberry into his pocket and walked past everyone towards the kitchen.  Not caring less about the sign that said Employees only, he burst through the doors.  The cooks looked up from their work surprised to see a customer in the back, and Kent Whitlock of all people.


He saw her crouched on the floor predictably in tears. She looked up surprised, and quickly wiped away the runny lines of eye makeup that had fallen down her face.


"I'm so sorry," she apologized again. The door swung open again, and the manager looked curiously at Kent.


"Sir was there something you needed? Erica, apologize to this man right now," he ordered.

"She already apologized. Several times," Kent cut her off before she could say sorry again.


"Oh I see. We will deal with her don't worry.”


"That is not necessary. And as for the money, you don't need to take it out of her paycheck either."


"But Sir, the bottles cost over a grand each, it is her fault she spilled it, therefore she doesn't get any pay for this week."


Kent fished into his pocket and pulled out a checkbook and a pen. "How much is it exactly?" he asked ready to write down the sum.


"But sir-,"


"Well, how much?" Kent repeated.


"It is nine hundred and sixty seven dollars."


Kent chuckled and rolled his eyes at the chump change figure. He quickly wrote the check and handed it over.


"Always a pleasure Sir," the manager replied with a phony smile.


Before Kent turned around to leave, he took one last look at the surprised and beautiful waitress.

 

 "You're welcome", he mumbled.  For some reason he felt nervous, and quickly made his way out of the kitchen and out of the restaurant.


He was about to ask the valet driver to fetch his car, when the girl came running out after him.


"Wait!" she called. "You didn't need to do that, really!"


"Just look at it this way, you get to keep your job," Kent replied trying to sound slick, but found himself stumbling over his words.


”It was really unnecessary, and well, really kind,” she said still stunned by the gesture.


"Hard to believe I know. We Whitlock's actually have souls," he replied sarcastically.


"No!  I’m sorry.  I didn't mean-,"


"It’s fine.  After all I don’t think you can do much worse to me," He laughed looking down at his ruined clothes.  He watched as she blushed darker than her hair.


"Seriously, I can buy you a new tie," she offered.


"If you were stressing about a bottle of wine that only cost a thousand, then you sure as hell can’t buy me a new tie," he replied condescendingly without realizing it.


"Oh I see, since I'm not a rich little brat like you, and just a waitress right?"


"And not a very good one I might add," Kent shot back crossing his arms over his broad chest.


"If you look down on me so much, why did you pay all that money for a bottle of wine that I spilled on you?" she challenged.


"It was chump change sweetheart."


“Oh, I know what it is! You think you can buy me just because of who are right?"


"Yes that's it. I really wanted you to spill wine all over my now broken Blackberry so that I could impress you. Oh wait, weren't you the one that ran after me?"


"Yes, but it was only so I could tell you that I don't need your money!"


"Well it sure looks like you do," he said wrinkling his nose and pointing down at her tattered black shoes.


"Well I am sorry that I can't just mooch off of daddy like you!" she voice rose in defense.


His arms fell to his sides as he took in the statement.  She probably didn't know about the death of his father, but it was still insulting. He assumed that everyone always knew everything about him. It would be strange having to explain his life for the first time.


"It’s Father’s Day.  Do you see my dad here?"


"No, but,"

 

“That’s right,” he cut off before she could finish.  “He’s been dead for a month.  And I never would manipulate anyone, especially him for money.


"Kent, I'm sorry, I hadn’t heard,” she replied slowly.


"Don't talk to me like you know me. Go back inside, waitress," he pointed towards the door.


"My name is Erica.”

"It's waitress to everyone in there. You're boss, me, and anyone who matters. It's just waitress."


"I should have aimed for your crotch when I spilled," she muttered turning around going back inside.


Kent rolled his eyes, and got into his Porsche GT Carrera, enjoying the smooth ride while knowing Erica, waitress, whatever, would have to work her finger to the bone to probably earn rent money for some lousy apartment. Well one thing was for sure, she was one of the prettiest girls he ever laid eyes on, and he knew money couldn't pay for that. Not naturally at least.



© 2010 Evil_Angel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Sorry it took so long... I got sucked in pretty quickly... You've established quite quickly the characters emotional lives. The conflict is there at the get go and you added more conflict layers gradually as your story progressed. It was very easy to follow. You made your hero sympathetic and for the most part likeable (most people do have bad sides). You've also set up Erika on equal footing with Kent which is very W.O.W. savvy. The title delivered .. Also, with the customers talking about Kent's shortcomings, you've set up the hero who will definitely have to decide to stand up & take the challenge to become his own man instead of his father's son... thanks for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is worth the read, thanks for sharing

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sorry it took so long... I got sucked in pretty quickly... You've established quite quickly the characters emotional lives. The conflict is there at the get go and you added more conflict layers gradually as your story progressed. It was very easy to follow. You made your hero sympathetic and for the most part likeable (most people do have bad sides). You've also set up Erika on equal footing with Kent which is very W.O.W. savvy. The title delivered .. Also, with the customers talking about Kent's shortcomings, you've set up the hero who will definitely have to decide to stand up & take the challenge to become his own man instead of his father's son... thanks for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 16, 2010
Last Updated on April 16, 2010


Author

Evil_Angel
Evil_Angel

San Diego, CA



About
Sunset Fire is #2 most read book on here! Woot! Lets101 Quizzes - Blog Quiz Which Disney Princess Are You?AuroraYou're a tired old thing aren`t you? We first came under Aurora`s spell in Sleep.. more..

Writing
Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

A Chapter by Evil_Angel


Long Gone Long Gone

A Book by Evil_Angel