Holey Tights

Holey Tights

A Story by Evy Morgan-Anderson
"

A girl gets in trouble for being different

"

She has short, strawberry blonde hair with dark brown roots. She wears a dress that looks more like a long shirt, an old one at that. Her pale legs are covered in tattered tights. They were not intended to be ripped, however, and the holes just get bigger as the days go on. She wears dark black combat boots as she marches towards the principal's office for the second time this week. This comes as no shock to me, as her clothing is not what staff would showcase as “school appropriate.” She pulls out her earbuds as she stomps into the office, and I hear Courtney Love scream her last note of “Teenage W***e.”

I have to agree with Ruby. The trouble she gets into at school is often based in prejudice and sexism. The dress ends with her fingertips and starts close to her neck. It covers everything it’s supposed to, yet she got pulled out of class (again) for her choice of (grunge) wear. As she argued the first time, dress codes are sexist. I silently agreed.

After class, I see her wearing a regular pair of jeans and a t-shirt looking extremely annoyed. Her original outfit is swinging in a plastic bag in her hand.

“Ruby! I saw you earlier. I’m sorry they made you change, it was pretty gross of them,” I say, sounding as compassionate as I can.

“Thank you! And I know! I mean, they say I can wear whatever the hell I want to, as long as it’s not distracting guys, but then change that rule, too,” Ruby replies, rolling her eyes.

“I don’t get it. I mean it was really cute, and covered everything they say it needs to,” I say, making a confused face.

“I know! Adorable, and it fits right into their support of the patriarchy,” Ruby says sarcastically. “What really pisses me off is I was in class. Like that was really more important than my education? Really? Talking about how my clothes are inappropriate? To who?”

“I totally agree. But in good news, Hole serenaded you on your way to be s**t shamed. Hole makes everything better,” I say, in a hopeful tone, laughing a little.

“You listen to Hole?” Ruby asks, sounding shocked and happy.

“Yeah! I love them! What’s your favorite song? Mine is probably ‘Doll Parts’ or ‘Good Sister Bad Sister.’ But I love them all.”

“Those are amazing, but mine is ‘Honey,’ even though it’s soul-crushingly sad. It’s so beautiful.”

“I love that one too. It’s so so good, but I cry everytime I hear it.” The girl with short, strawberry blonde hair and black combat boots smiles at me. I smile back.

© 2017 Evy Morgan-Anderson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on January 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2017
Tags: Hole, grunge, alternative, high school