Prosper and Parker's Adventure

Prosper and Parker's Adventure

A Story by Autumn Falls
"

This is a very very rough draft of what is inside my head right now. I'm not sure where I'm going with this right now but I'm sorta liking it.

"

His room was covered in darkness, the curtains were drawn. Normally this is the most playful room in the house but the sense of childhood was long gone. The little boy sat up in his cozy bed, clutching his dinosaur pattern sheets around himself. He looked at the clock and yawned, almost as a reaction to the numbers he read on it. It was midnight, much too late for a seven-year-old to be awake. He looked around at the menacing shapes and shivered. He clenched his teeth hiding half of his face in the covers, trying to keep the darkness out. He was suddenly awake as his blue eyes darted straight at his door. “Prosper?” He questioned timidly. He poked his little head out completely and peeked over at the light that shimmered under the door. “Prosper?” He questioned once again. Parker waited in fear as the clock turned12:15.

The door slowly creaked open allowing the light to overcome the darkness. He relaxed as a tall and much older boy appeared in the doorway. “What’s wrong Parker?” Parker laid his head down, his eyes still wide open. “I can’t sleep.” He whispered as his eyes darted at the bedroom closet, Prosper followed his gaze. “Don’t!” His little brother shouted as he tiptoed to the closet. Parker screeched as his older brother opened the door. “No monster in here.” Prosper reassured him, poking his head inside the closet. Parker then pointed to the foot of his bed. “What about under there? Sometimes it likes to hide under there too.” He whined. Prosper tittered, walking towards his little brother’s bed and poked his head under. “Nothing,” he reassured him again. “It’s just your imagination kiddo.” He patted Parker’s head and giggled. “Nothing will get you as long as I’m around.” Parker grunted folding his small arms across his dinosaur t-shirt. “I’m seven, not a kid!” He protested making a face. Prosper just laughed as he placed his long arms around his little brother, hugging him tight, he whispered. “Never grow up.” As he kissed Parker’s forehead comforting him.

It was two in the morning by the time Parker could get any sleep. It was the presences of his older brother that comforted him. He was safe. No longer did the darkness creep around him; No longer did the menacing shapes appear to corner him. And no longer did the monster seem to frighten him. As his little brother laid sound asleep beside him, Prosper slowly stood up, smiled looking down at Parker and without a sound walked out of the room. There was a lot on his mind that night, a lot he had to figure out.

Two-thirty in the morning Prosper paces in the halls outside of Parker’s door, checking on him every moment he thought was necessary, worried about a different kind of monster. “What to do” seemed to be the question he frequently muttered to himself. At this time (3:15 a.m.) Prosper was lost in deep thoughts; still pacing, still checking as he continued muttering to himself.

It was five a.m. when he suddenly darted his brown eyes at the grandfather clock as it sung of the time as if it was his way of telling it to hush. He then slowly slid his back down against Parker’s door. It was much too early for him to sleep now. He then closed his eyes for a moment and allowed his thoughts to sink in deep. Something in him felt wrong, felt as if there was a part of him drifting along the darkness in the house. He felt like the monster. He had no signs of flesh eating sharp teeth, his fingernails weren’t sharpened like claws, nor did he ever remember hurting anyone. Yet there was something in his thoughts that told him things, secrets he didn’t want to believe. “Who was he?” was now the question he was frequently muttering to himself. He opened his eyes to stop the thinking and slowly brought himself back onto his feet, took one last look into Parker’s room and carried himself to his own bed.

Five-thirty in the morning he opened his bedroom door, the room was ice cold, the kind of cold that welcomes death inside. Prosper laid still under his warm blankets with his eyes glaring at the ceiling. He then turned his head to the wall that he shared with his brother’s room and listened closely hoping there would be nothing to hear but silence, telling him that parker remained asleep. His heart settling as he heard nothing, finally excepting that the monster allowed his little brother to sleep. Though he heard nothing he knew he was not alone. Something in him always has a way of reminding him that he is never really alone. He turned his eyes back onto the ceiling and just laid there for a while, allowing his thoughts to once again haunt him. Something in him told him that he wasn’t himself. Something in him wanted to believe that there was more to him that meets the eye. It worried him, more about Parker. His little brother is everything to him. He wondered if this was normal, if this was the kind of things that fourteen year old boys normally think about but then he sat up and directed his brown eyes at his window and wept. He then came to the conclusion, “No,” he mumbled. “This is not normal, I am not normal but I am no monster, I am Prosper.” He then slid his finger across his white teeth. Still talking to himself he whined. “My teeth does not tear the skin of others.” He placed his hands in front of his face with a blank stare he continued, “My hands do not shred the flesh off others with claws.” He touched his face softly with his eyes closed. “My face it ages like it supposed to. My heart is beats like it should. The scent of blood does not tempt me with hunger.” Nervously he opened his brown eyes, once again wondering them around the room. The curtains danced as the wind flew in whispering soft songs. His room remained ice cold with death still welcomed. Fearfully he continued, “I have done no harm to others. I have done no harm to Parker.” He paused as he wiped away his childish tears. He couldn’t help but to let his mind wonder…if his words were lies. He would remember hurting someone. Parker would fear him instead of crying for him in the dead of night….but...the monster that haunts his little brother’s room…is that? Is he? “No!” Prosper protested to his thoughts. “I am not a monster nor am I a hero. I am Prosper, just Prosper.” He shivered as chills ran down his entire body. For a third time he looked around his gloomy bedroom. There was nothing there but he knew he was not alone. Finally at seven a.m. he closed his eyes to rest.

It was the sound of a blue bird that had woken Prosper, singing of the morning. As his eyes opened he stretched his long arms above him and yawned wildly.

© 2016 Autumn Falls


Author's Note

Autumn Falls
-Added more 02/18

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

well its reads very well.... i think when you finish your working on it it will turn out an amazing story.... the descriptions are very catchy and i love the you set up the plot.... im looking forward to read it more and see how it goes...... full ratings for the concept.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Autumn Falls

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
I just got so lost in it, I felt I was the character and not the author.
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

i think it will work out more better if you are feeling like that..... i hope you story turns out wh.. read more



Reviews

I like your setting and pacing. The consent time you did can be annoying but your story made it flow quite smoothly. The word choice and style totally fit. I can see you being completely absorbed when writing this story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is really good: the description is vivid, simple but strong, and the suspense "if something is going to happen" makes it compelling to read, so keep writing on it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Autumn Falls

8 Years Ago

thank you so much! it makes me so happy to see all these comments on my work
well its reads very well.... i think when you finish your working on it it will turn out an amazing story.... the descriptions are very catchy and i love the you set up the plot.... im looking forward to read it more and see how it goes...... full ratings for the concept.....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Autumn Falls

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
I just got so lost in it, I felt I was the character and not the author.
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

i think it will work out more better if you are feeling like that..... i hope you story turns out wh.. read more
Very good work; A small look at the monsters inside us all.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Autumn Falls

8 Years Ago

Thank you Percy. Im starting to get really into it
It is perfect. :) :) How long did it take you to revise it?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Autumn Falls

8 Years Ago

haha I've been writing during work. I lost some of the work though. I had a lot more :(
Tsubaki Kuro

8 Years Ago

Hahahaha that's cool. I write during class sometimes.
Very good story. Not bad for a rough draft. It usually takes me at least two rough drafts to get something that good. I love the details in this. I can picture everything in my head so that is very good. Good Job! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

511 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2016
Last Updated on February 18, 2016

Author

Autumn Falls
Autumn Falls

williamsburg, VA



About
Hey, I'm Autumn. 26. Ravenclaw. I like animals more than people. And I haven't written anything in years. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Promise Me Promise Me

A Poem by Misty.C


Scared Scared

A Poem by Érenn