Old woman

Old woman

A Story by Farhan Shaikh

In the evening, I was standing at the corner of a street with my friend talking about the things we deserve and need desperately in our life. It was difficult to listen to him with the noises of vehicles reverberating.
 The next moment, a hand touched my shoulder and I turned back to see. I saw an old woman, she was smiling at me holding a walking stick clutched in her wrinkled hands. 

'Can you help me in crossing the road? I want to go the other side", she kindly asked me breaking the fluency of tone in a low voice.
'Sure', I replied. 
I held her left hand and my friend was walking on her right side. It took several minutes to cross the road. 
'Take me to that bench', she said pointing her finger towards a bench in the corner .
'Where exactly do you want to go?' I asked her.
'Just take me there', she replied.

I took her at the bench and she sat. My friend and I were not moving as we wanted to help her in getting back to home.
'I have no one, I'm alone as all four of my children are dead. I just keep wandering and if someone offer me food I eat, but I don't request for food', she said with a smile on her face.
'I live there all alone', she pointed at a small building.
Just few minutes go, my friend and I were talking about the needs in our life, all that thoughts vanished after hearing that woman's words.

Both of us checked our pockets but we didn't have any money to offer her something to eat. We felt very bad for the old lady as we couldn't help her. 
She blessed both of us but we didn't do anything for her, I hope we find her again and be able to help her in any way possible. .

© 2017 Farhan Shaikh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The bench must mean something to her. I'm sure she will be there or perhaps looking at the bench from her window and you can help her again Farhan.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

Yes you're right Tony.. even I thought about that
Wow.... As Soon as I came at the ending lines, I had a smile on my face, it's just so beautiful! Now this is called real talent. You made me feel a lot only by this little piece. I wish I write something like this too, in the future, it's just so damn good! Keep writing and keep sending me the read requests.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

This means a lot..thank you so much
Anjali

6 Years Ago

You are very welcome!
I must say you are very kind... I hope you find her again someday... and keep on helping people.... thumps up....

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

I will..thank you
This is very deep and thought provoking. I like how the story starts out with the narrator and their friend discussing what they feel they need and deserve in life, almost giving a bitter vibe to the characters before the old woman shows up and simply asks for help to cross the street.
The old woman character seemed very kind and gentle, someone who was in a rough situation but still remained pure of heart. It made this story very sad, yet meaningful.

People should really help others and it's sad that most people don't do stuff like this anymore - stuff as simple as helping someone cross the street or holding a door for them. It really shows how a lot of people these days lack compassion for humanity. This story restores some faith in mankind for me, shows that people still do want to help others. I don't know if this is just a story, or an actual incident that happened but I find it very compelling to read.
Good work.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words..and yeah this happened
if this is just a story then it is nice. but if it is a real incident then you have done a good job.

to help people is a great thing and you did it. One more things for your next day- Don't wait for them to ask for help , help them before they ask bcoz some people feel shame to ask help.


nice work. thanks for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

I agree with you.. thanks 😄
The plight of others can be a great "tool" for putting things in your life into perspective. She blessed you, but don't say you did nothing: she asked for help, you did, and hopefully, you will see her again to more. Good story and a good moral lesson.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

Thank you miss Carol😄
What a story, sometimes the kindness of heart is enough if you cant help them with material things, at least your kindness can give them hope and not make them stop believing of the kindness some people.
People like that will eventually get what they deserve, sooner or later :)

Your writing was a good read, thank you for sharing Farhan.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

Thanks so much friend this means a lot😄
Joey Nizz

6 Years Ago

your welcome ^^
i hope you find her again i have the opportunity to help her,thank you for sharing the story

Posted 6 Years Ago


Farhan Shaikh

6 Years Ago

Thank you Cara😄

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1510 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 13, 2017
Last Updated on August 15, 2017

Author

Farhan Shaikh
Farhan Shaikh

Mumbai, India



About
20..College student.. Earthling. Follow me on Instagram @farhanshyk02 more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Today Today

A Poem by Saumya