A Monk Learns Non Self or Freedom's Just Another Word For Nothing Left To Lose

A Monk Learns Non Self or Freedom's Just Another Word For Nothing Left To Lose

A Story by Adam Stier
"

This is my take on an old Buddhist parable. It got stuck in my head one day and I still have not been able to find the original parable. Even after reading over a hundred of them.

"
In the 1950s Communist China was a looming shadow over its neighbours. While, like most political policy, communism looks good on paper it suffers the same caveat they all do, it's controlled by Men. As we all know those whom have power only desire more power and so it goes. China turned its sights on their long time enemy; Tibet.

They invaded, killing, slaughtering, Buddhist monks and any monk that attempted to fight or flee was forced to watch their families executed before they were. One monk, the protagonist of the tale, decided to flee in fear of losing all he loved and had. Not as if there was a database or registry, how would the Chinese ever know? He convinced himself he was doing it to save those he loved, that they should not suffer for him. However, he was really afraid. Afraid of loss. Attachments.

The monk left his village under cover of darkness, lest anyone see him. He began his long journey that would lead him over the mountains and into a safe country. The journey was most difficult. The monk being humble had little food and water, he wore simple robes with a meager fur wrap and sandals. He reminded himself that he was doing this to save those he loved, however, deep down somewhere he knew he was really afraid.

Days into the journey, as the monk was beginning the ascent into the mountains, he turned and noticed a rider on horseback approach from the way he came. Curious, the monk waited for the rider. When the rider was close the monk recognised him as a villager from his village. The rider dismounted and ran to the monk.

“I have ridden for almost two days to catch you!” the rider said.

“Why?” asked the monk

“The elders of the village informed the Chinese of you, they looked and looked and when they realised you had fled they rounded up not only your family but your friends and their families and slaughtered them. Still, they burned your family's estate to the ground! They destroyed every writing, painting and all they created. Wiped their existence from the world! I am so sorry I had to bring you this news!” the rider informed the monk with obvious shame.

(Dear reader, how do you think the monk responded?)



The monk looked down for a moment and when he raised his head, he was smiling.

This perplexed the rider. “Why do you smile? Did you not hear me? Everyone you know and love is dead! Any trace of them decimated!”

The monk said; “I heard. I smile because I have nothing left to lose. I am free.”

On that he turned back towards the village to face his destiny. Whatever it may bring.

© 2016 Adam Stier


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
Added on June 19, 2016
Last Updated on June 19, 2016
Tags: non self, letting go, Buddhism, parable, attachments, inspiration, short story, tale, moral, lesson

Author

Adam Stier
Adam Stier

Portland , OR



About
Nor much, really. I live in Portland Oregon, I work a dull job. However, I love to write! Well, everything except bio pages. I find it rather off-putting to write about myself. I so seldom pay attenti.. more..

Writing
It May Be It May Be

A Poem by Adam Stier