Just So

Just So

A Story by Richard Man
"

7 mini-sagas (chapters) of exactly 50 words each. This was a self-inflicted challenge making this true story somewhere between prose and poetry.

"

A Saga by Richard Man.

 

Just So

1)

Why I came to be here, is another story. Needless to say I had to get away. Old contacts and favours were sought and called on. At the airport, docks and the railway station, the branch were supposed to be looking for me:This I knew. The road it was.

 

2)

The diplomatic car came to a crunchy halt about half-a-mile from the bridge.

“This is it”, the secretary apologised, “any closer and questions will be asked.”

Wearily, I heaved my sleeping bag and rucksack onto the side of the track. Formally, we bade farewell. A wheel-spin and he was gone.

 

3)

The dust cleared, a moment of silence swept over me before, close-by, a concerto of cicadas in a coppice of wattles and purple-flowered jacarandas continued their incessant rhythm for the night. In the Tropics the sun sets rapidly around six o’clock. Torchless, I urgently needed to find somewhere to camp.

4)

Overlooking the River, I found a leaf-lined ditch, it was bone-dry and afforded me, I felt, some protection. Against what? Little use against lions, snakes and definitely not hyenas but it made me feel better. Star-lit black, I luxuriated in the last tin of pilfered luke-warm peaches, then bed.  Sleep.

 

5)

Sunrise and the heat woke me. Like a log, what a delicious kip. The world was alive and so was I.  Little creatures were out foraging. Close to my head, a stocky iridescent beetle tirelessly wrestled uphill a ball twice his size: He was preparing breakfast. “Lucky bugger”, I thought.

 

6)

My brain ground on, trying to make sense of where I was and what I had to do. That plucky arthropod and his sisyphean plight still filled centre stage.

“That’s a dung beetle!” Then, with alarm bells ringing in my head, I realised that they only eat fresh elephant s**t.

 

7)

In both senses of the word, all around  about me, I’d had no idea of their passing.  Down the gentle grassy slope, at the muddy edge of the grey-green greasy Limpopo River, a majestic herd of elephants were fed and watered. Whilst I remained grubby, thirsty, hungry and quite alone.

© 2013 Richard Man


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

All the seven stories are very engaging...Number 5 was wonderful. "- a stocky iridescent beetle preparing breakfast." - Just loved this!
Loved the plucky arthropod and the majestic herd of elephants too! I love the African safari!

You were in Africa! Which part? I grew up in Tanzania & Kenya in East Africa...so anything African makes me so nostalgic.

Thanks you so much for sharing this it was very interesting!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Richard Man

11 Years Ago

It wasn't quite a traditional safari. I was escaping from the South African special branch (in the f.. read more
I really enjoyed your "self-inflicted" challenge. Sometimes a challenge is one of the most effective way to get a great story (or at least get some inspiration). Number 5 is my personal favorite.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved this, took me right to your camping sight, all the sights and smells and sounds. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing detail in each and every 50 word 'saga"...I must admit I learned a few new words from this...Great idea and write...Thank you for pointing it out to me

Posted 11 Years Ago


Richard Man

11 Years Ago

You are very kind. I like giving myself a challenge when writing... such as the sagas... or writing .. read more
Gray Witch

11 Years Ago

LOL... sounds like the 'new sport' here - Red Bull's Crashed Ice, Niagara Falls --"Take some of the .. read more
I am just begining to read "On the road: The Original Scroll" by Jack Kerouac and this is completely complimentary to that. The 'going somewhere without actually going' (The First Dream, Billy Collins) feeling is persistent throughout the text.

The rich diction and descriptions greatly enriches the reader; somewhat haiga-ish (A haiga is a haiku combined with prose) and real. I don't have any remarks, poetically speaking. There may be aspects of prose that may need improving, but I'm not quite knowledgeable in that area.

Keep writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Richard Man

11 Years Ago

I read "On the Road", "The Tin Drum" by Gunther Grass and "A Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel G.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

419 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 26, 2012
Last Updated on February 11, 2013

Author

Richard Man
Richard Man

Bodmin, Cornwall, United Kingdom



About
Teacher, actor (street, stage, film and voice, impro and scripted), security guard , detective, mathematician, writer (obviously), poet, restaurateur. I speak quite a lot of french and a bit less Span.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..