Mysteries of History-1919

Mysteries of History-1919

A Story by Fictioneer
"

A short lesson in history

"

Mysteries of History

“How fast does molasses flow in January?”

 

 

On January 15, 1919 in the north end of Boston, one of the strangest man-made disasters occurred. A 50-foot tall iron tank that contained 2,300,000 gallons of molasses, owned by the Purity Distilling Company, ruptured one of its seams. This breach caused a 40-foot tall wave of sticky goo to travel at a speed of 35 mph, killing 11 people and injuring 50.

A section of the tank landed on the local fire department, crushing the building and three employees. Wagons, carts, and motor trucks were overturned, while a number of horses were killed. The huge wave did not show any mercy. It plowed down everything in its path. The black sticky mass slapped against the local buildings like the ocean tide crashing against a seawall, and then subsided towards the harbor. Other structures were thought to be safe, found out that they were no match for a monster like molasses. The elevated train tracks huge steel girders, were not safe. The giant fist twisted the steel as if it was a child’s toy.

No one is certain of the events of that day, save people claim that the unseasonable warm weather had caused the problem, while others blame the leak in the tank. This leak was so severe that the locals would send their children with pails to fill them with the sticky goo. This flaw was such a problem that instead of repairing the hole, Purity painted the area brown so the leak would not be noticed.

Until this day, when people walk the Freedom Trail, they will stop around Cobb’s Hill and take a deep breath. The sweet scent can still be had from all those years ago. The truth will be forever lost, but the people of Boston will tell you that the British troops of 1776 were not the only force to wreak havoc in the Northend.

 

© 2012 Fictioneer


Author's Note

Fictioneer
Please be honest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Non-fiction, History, Boston, Northend, Massachusetts, Molassas

Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer