Mysteries of History-1904

Mysteries of History-1904

A Story by Fictioneer
"

A short lesson in history.

"

Mysteries of History

“Go to jail. Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars”

 

These famous words can be read on a chance card or a Community Chest Card during a game of winner take all called Monopoly. Since 1935, this game has sold 200 million sets worldwide, been played in 103 different countries, and is printed in 37 different languages. Rather impressive numbers for a board game based on economic theories of the late 19th early 20th century.

The original name of this game was The Landlord’s Game and was invented in 1904 by homemaker Lizzie Maggie. This board game was based on the theories of American Political Economist, Henry George, an anti-monopolist who believed that only real estate should be taxed. Lizzie’s game showed the public that the property owners of the late 19th and early 20th century were becoming “fat-cats” at the immigrant’s expense.

An unemployed engineer of Germantown, Pennsylvania, Charles B. Darrow spent countless hours in 1933 playing and refining the real estate game. Newspapers of this time were loaded with articles about the financial problems of America. Darrow incorporated this information along with deed names of his favorite seaside resort, Atlantic City, New Jersey. After a few more tweaks, Darrow traveled to the home office of Parker Brothers Games in Springfield, Massachusetts and presented them with the game. The game gods of 1934 turned him down by claiming design errors, complex rules, and the length of time it took for one game.

That did not stop Darrow from making his dream come true. With borrowed money, he had manufactured 5,000 sets of Monopoly. He brought them to a Philadelphia department store, and quickly sold every set. Players of the era loved the concept of making a pile of cash and with the throw of the dice, possibly losing the whole shebang.

When word of Monopoly’s popular sellout reached the game gods, talks began again with Charles B. Darrow. In 1935, Monopoly was copyrighted and further precautions, Parker Brothers bought Lizzie Maggie’s patent for $500. Along with another game called Finance. With an executive’s background, Mr. Charles B. Darrow signed a contract with the game gods, which included a royalty’s clause that turned him into a millionaire.

 

© 2012 Fictioneer


Author's Note

Fictioneer
Please be honest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Honestly, I have only praise. As often as I talk and write about the "old days" of my youth, I've forgotten to make mention of Monopoly. Our tv got one channel, we had none of today's electronic gadgets, but we had Monopoly. Many a long evenings, we kids would while away the hours with that game. My youngest son (he's 21) has been known to turn off his Xbox and play it. Amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fictioneer

11 Years Ago

I thought my readers would like to read, what I call UN-conventional, history. I really enjoy writin.. read more



Reviews

Honestly, I have only praise. As often as I talk and write about the "old days" of my youth, I've forgotten to make mention of Monopoly. Our tv got one channel, we had none of today's electronic gadgets, but we had Monopoly. Many a long evenings, we kids would while away the hours with that game. My youngest son (he's 21) has been known to turn off his Xbox and play it. Amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Fictioneer

11 Years Ago

I thought my readers would like to read, what I call UN-conventional, history. I really enjoy writin.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Non-fiction, History, board games, Monopoly

Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer