Mysteries of History-1860

Mysteries of History-1860

A Story by Fictioneer
"

A short lesson in history.

"

Mysteries of History

 “What does a Map Maker/Engraver named John Spilsbury, London, England and the

year 1760 all have in common? Give Up? Collectively, the answer is the dissected puzzle.”

 

Mr. Spilsbury had a wild idea of mounting one of his maps of Europe to a sheet of hardwood, then cut around the boundaries of each country. The result was an education aid to teach children about geography. The idea of learning and recreation combined turned this new concept into an effective tool.

These early visions were not cheap. They cost as much, if not more than a weeks pay (10 shillings each). The puzzle did not have interlocking pieces, like the puzzles of today. These pieces were made from mahogany or cedar, hand cut, and were commercially sold to the English Socialites for their house parties. The weekend houseguests would continuously work on the puzzle that was left in a communal area, and would be completed by Sunday night before the guests had to leave.

By the 1870’s, with the invention of the jigsaw, manufactures were now able to cut the wood into more intricate pieces. The use of plywood also evolved with this new cutting style, early producers of the puzzle glued their pictures onto the wood, and then penciled the underside for random cut patterns. Evidence of this process can be found on the older puzzle pieces of this era.

The turn of the twentieth century found its puzzles to move along with the times, with the use of cardboard. This style of puzzle was of poor quality, but the popularity for this amazing new pastime grew rapidly. Now the price per unit became more affordable for the average household. Most puzzles were more of a mystery, due to no picture to be guided by. Nevertheless, once assembled, the sense of completion was overwhelming.

Modern day puzzles are produced to target certain audiences. For instance, large pieces with simple colors are for young children and much more elaborate cuts and color patterns are for adults. The use of die cutting machines for mass production, made the puzzle available for everyone to enjoy.

From what started as a simple concept, over 250 years ago, is now available in many forms. Double-sided puzzles, 3-D puzzles, and still the puzzle master favorite, the mystery puzzle with the picture still unknown until completion. Whether it is on a snowy winter’s afternoon in front of a log fire or a cloudless summer’s day sitting in the garden, the jigsaw puzzle is a wonderful form of relaxation. Thanks John Spilsbury, for taking a chance on a simple concept and showing the world how to work together.

© 2012 Fictioneer


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Fictioneer
Please be honest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on November 11, 2012
Last Updated on November 12, 2012
Tags: Non-fiction, History, puzzle

Author

Fictioneer
Fictioneer

Orlando, FL



About
I have been writing freelance for ten years and taught Language Arts to adult students for the GED program in the state of Florida. In addition, I also developed a Creative Writing program for adult s.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Fictioneer


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Fictioneer