Modern Boston Dragons

Modern Boston Dragons

A Story by Fiery She-Beast
"

May Francitwhile lives in Boston... But not the Boston you know. May lives close to real life dragons everyday! When Naomi comes to visit for the very first time, Mat shows her around.

"

Sure, you’ve probaby heard of dragons, but we all know that they were known to live in castles and caves hundreds of years ago, but here in Boston, we have all the dragons we want. Sound crazy? Yeah, I know, but you haven’t heard the best part yet: we keep them as pets. This is the story of finding my best, clueless friend.

As Gracin and I skimmed the surface, I could feel the cool salty spray from the Atlantic and the Arctic winds in my face. This time of year, snows and winds blow right down from Alaska just to freeze our noses off for three months straight. Gracin didn’t mind the cool winds at all, she was a Northern Sleetmeyer dragon from the end of the Earth. She had shiny white and grey scales and bright blue eyes. Her skin was rough and felt just like little trianle cut-outs of sandpaper all glued together.

In the distance, a humpback whale with a massive open maw swam right on the surface, skimming out the icy water for krill. I lightly slapped Gracin’s side and she took to the sky, flapping her iredescent blue wings to power her higher. The sky looked like an ocean of milk that somebody had squirted a tube of periwinkle paint into. White clouds were spread like jelly on bread across the sky.

Above me, I could see other riders flying in and around the clouds, taking advantage of the easy flying no-storm weather. Only a light sprinkle of snow came down. I could see a green Southern Serpentene dragon wiggling through the sky, and a bright red Eastern Wyvernisk dragon clawing into the clouds with its giant wings. With dragons, I saw a large, green plane painted like a dragon. A  chap-lipped grin cracked across my face: tourists.

You see, for hundreds for years, a layer of magical fog kept outsiders from seeing what Boston had to offer, we like to call it the Mist. But when people come into the city, they can see the dragons as clear as day. So, whenever one of those tourist planes land, I take Gracin to the airport to treat myself to a show of confused, terrified, and sometimes amazed tourists. One time a plump woman with giant sunglasses and many golden rings fell right over at the sight of Gracin.

We flew together to the giant airport by the coast. Gracin touched down on the dragon landing pad on the top of the main building. I could see the tourist plane on the runway, riding towards us. We waited there until the plane parked below us. The first passenger to step out was a girl my age, with cropped brown hair and earthy green eyes. As soon as those eyes were set on the man standing outside the plane, she put her had over her dropped jaw. For he as riding a tannish Western Ground dragon, with long legs and small wings, it looked sort of like a kangaroo. He welcomed her to Boston, and she just about fainted. Now, for the real show.  Gracin folded in her wings and dove down to land in front of her.I jumped off Gracin and shook the girl’s hand. I told her that it was nice to meet her, and that she was going to have a great time in Boston.

Turns out her name was Naomi, and her parents had a three week conference to go to in Lousiana that she coudn’t attend. So they popped her on a plane with ticket and all and sent her straight up to Boston. She was supposed to stay with her Aunt Teresa, but I knew Teresa as my neighbor anyways, she was my Mom’s best friend! Phone calls were made, and Teresa (known to me as Mrs.Sleo) happily agreed to letting Naomi stay with me.

I informed her that my name was May Francitwhile before we even called Teresa. After all the arangements were made, we rode Gracin home to my house. The ride home was amazing, we twirled and spun throughout the clouds, our hair waving in the wind behind us. Naomi was still really stunned about the whole dragon thing, and kept feeling Gracin’s scales like they were the skin of an alien.  When we got to my house, my mother welcomed her in with a warm smile, I introduced them to eachother, and told Mom that Naomi was a tourist from North Carolina who’s parents had to go to Lousiana.

Mom enjoyed Naomi’s spunky nature, and so did I, the first night she spent with us was magical. I had always made fun of the clueless tourists who came to visit here, but Naomi was different. She was as smart as a cookie, and told me that she made straight A’s back at her school. That made me blush, because my report card usually was mostly B’s and C’s. For that night we set up the tent and filled it with pillows and blankets, we stayed up all night explaining our lives. Mom suggested that tomorrow, we take a tour of the whole city, topped off with a dinner that the Mac and Cheese Resteraunt at Faneuil Hall Market Place.

The next morning, we prepared for our tour, waking up early and getting dressed. Naomi chose a simple green T-shirt and blue jeans, while I found a purple shirt that said “got dragon?” on it in white type. Naomi thought that was pretty funny. We both pulled our hair back with black hairties and bundled up with thick coats. At about 9:00, we piled into the car and headed to the harbor.

At the harbor, we purchased hot chocolate from a nearby shop, and settled down to watch the icy waves rock the boats. An icy blue Norhtern Serpentene Dragon twisted through the water, and came right up to Naomi. She squealed and touched it’s head with her freezing cold hands. Then the dragon gave her a big, icy, slobbery, kiss, and we all laughed. Our next stop was the cemetary, where countless dragons had been buried along with their deceased owners. That was our saddest stop, but we made it fun by rubbing tracing paper on the stone dragon designs on the tomb stones. Naomi wanted to frame hers, to remember this day. I told Mom that we should show Naomi Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox. We bought warm, cheesey hotdogs and bought tickets to the next game.

On our town tour, we decided that Naomi should get even more up close and personal with even more types of dragons, so we took her to the Boston Dragon Discovery Center, where many species from different dragon environments (which also contained the Mist) were kept in a reserve. We played tag with the intelligent, perky Plains dragons from Southern Australia, and took a ride on the massive, purple, not-so-bright Rainforest dragons from Eastern Brazil. Naomi couldn’t comprehend how many places on Earth secretly kept dragons.

Finally, after getting ice cream at Lizzie’s Ice Cream shop, checking out the baby dragons at the pet store, and much more, we brought ourselves to Faneuil Hall to get warm, gooey mac and cheese and Green Monsta Oreo ice cream for dessert. That, was how I met my best, clueless friend.

Before Naomi left, May had given her email adress to Naomi, and the girls kept up a daily video chat for as long as they could. Naomi came up annually every winter, staying half of the time with her Aunt Teresa and half of the time with May, to celebrate the coming of the two best friends, and explore new places and dragons in Boston every day.

© 2012 Fiery She-Beast


Author's Note

Fiery She-Beast
Another story, this one's not scary, but it was for school, so I couldn't pull off anything too scary. It's based on my visit to Boston, and how amazed I was. Hope you enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on August 28, 2012
Last Updated on August 28, 2012
Tags: dragons, boston, city, fantasy, awesome

Author

Fiery She-Beast
Fiery She-Beast

About
I am a young writer (11 to be exact) I love to write scary stories. I write daily and love to read them aloud. more..

Writing